Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Any recommendations for toiletry bags?

Any recommendations for toiletry bags?

My ancient toiletries bag is finally falling apart entirely. I was wondering if anyone has ny recommendstions as far as toiletry bags go for one-bag travelling with an aeronaut. My research has brought me to the LL Bean Personal Organizer (small) and the Sea to Summit Tavellite toiletries bag (small). Does anyone have any experience or any products that they'd recommend?

Things I usually store in the bag:
    Flat hand comb
    Spare contact lenses
    Contact case
    Contact solution (sometimes travel size, sometimes 14oz)
    Travel face wash
    Deodorant (full size)
    Bodyglide (small size and only if I plan on doing distance running)
    Goo tubes (shampoo, soap)
    Shaving oil
    Razor
    Tweezers, nail clippers

Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    "It's dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Kit - The Modern Dopp Kit - TOM BIHN If you want one strong fabric compartment

Clear Quarter Packing Cube - Organizational pouch for toiletries, electronics, more - TOM BIHN If you want 2 clear pockets compartments.

Snake Charmer - Organize and tame your cables with this handy pouch - TOM BIHN If you want 2 mesh compartments.

Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN Or this if you want one fabric Pouch with inner pockets and you don't minds the permanent clips.

Most Tom Bihn forum members use one or more 3D Cubes which comes in

3D Clear Organizer Cube - 3-1-1 toiletries bag. Clear front and back. Made in USA. - TOM BIHN

3D Mesh Organizer Cube - Mesh Organizer Pouch - TOM BIHN

3D Dyneema/nylon Organizer Cube - Ultralight organizer pouch - TOM BIHN

Let us know if you fancy any of these, forum members will be more than happy to gush and debate about the beauty of each.
    Last edited by backpack; 02-05-2013 at 06:00 PM.

I use the 3D Clear Organizer and the Kit with my Aeronaut and that worked well. I'm planning on trying the Clear Quarter Cube with the 3D and see how that work. Good luck

I use the clear quarter packing cube but now want to downsize to the clear 3D organiser pouch as I'd like to minimise my toiletries as much as possible and only need the one compartment. The new 3D pouches are cool.

I finally downsized enough to a 3D clear organizer. (am proud of that, being a girl) On our last trip through security, I tethered it to my bag with a long strap, and let it dangle as it went through the X-ray. Had no trouble at all, and I didn't have to worry about losing my 3-1-1 bag any more. I carry a full-size deodorant--the 3D is great for that, because it can sit horizontally in the 3D. 2 large Go-Toobs can sit on top of that.

I use teeny little round tubs (which came with samples from the Origins counter) for my face soap and moisturizer. There is enough room left for a travel-size toothpaste, a couple lip balms, hair gel, and eye drop ampules. I got Lasix a couple years for my horrible nearsightedness, so I don't have to carry contact lens solution any more, wahoo.

I'm working to downsize the not-Bihn small clear bag I use for "dry stuff" like tweezers, bandaids, mineral makeup (when I take it), etc. Aiming for a clear mini Dyneema pouch--we'll see.

Tri-Star Sized

I have been wondering about this myself. My family is getting ready to add another Aeronaut, and I wanted to order something for toiletries in my Tri-Star as well. I have used a Clear Quarter Packing Cube, but it will be moving to the Aeronaut. It works great, but it is very easy to make way too thick for the Tri-Star.

Which of the options mentioned above are the right thickness for a Aeronaut?

Thanks,
    John

Which one of these options fit well in a Tri-Star? I have a Clear Quarter PC that is way to easy to make too thick for the Tri-Star. It's moving to the Aeronaut, but I need something for the Tri-Star.

Thanks,
    John

I just realized that I forgot to describe what I use and my end phrase kind of sound a bit snippy, sorry.

My EDC is the Clear Quarter Packing Cube, I like that it is clear, so I can see if I forgot something at a glance and I like that it has two compartments so I can house 2 different things. I also love the fact that it is Dyneema which makes any contact with liquid stuff a bother that can be fixed by the use of a paper towel instead of a worry that "something" will stain the fabric .

I love it so much I bought another one in a different color.

I bought Kits in different colors, overtime, the more colorful house my needlework supplies, the more neutral carry the EDC stuff I want to keep out of sight, it is also a great evening purse, even better with the addition of the Handle Strap.

The Ballistic fabric is beautiful and very strong, it can carry pretty much everything and fits perfectly in the lower pocket of the Synapse and can fit in the side pockets of the Brain Bag.

I have a 3D Clear Organizer Cube in a beautiful color but I refuse to use as a 3-1-1 toiletries bag because I want to keep it really clean and use it to display either hair accessories or needlework cottons. The clear front and back and Cordura top color make them perfect for that.

I also just got a 3D Dyneema/nylon Organizer Cube, Ultralight Organizer Pouch to secure spill able stuff and save weight and space over the Clear Quarter Packing Cube.

You can fit 4 Clear Quarter Packing Cube or 8 3D Clear Organizer Cube in each empty Brain Bag compartments, they are perfect for somebody who does a lot of trade shows, children, pets and adult sport competitions as well as art performances.

I find it hard to visualize the volume of your EDC carry.

Are you spare contacts in the contact case?
    What size is your razor? Is it manual or electric?

Are the deodorant and shaving oil in 3oz or larger containers?
    Last edited by backpack; 02-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.

I use a 3D clear as a 3-1-1 bag when needed, but as I rarely travel with JUST a carry on, I usually keep my potentially leaky toiletries in it - shampoo, aftershave, shave gel, etc. I have a North Face shave kit for the rest of it, but not terribly happy with it. I got a TB Kit for Christmas, but it was smaller than I expected and plan to use it for cables or something else instead. Honestly, I'm thinking of going for a traditional Dopp Kit with the hinged top opening - my Dad had one and I like the classics. I used to have a Lands End zippered shave kit that I really liked, but it wore out back during my "road warrior" years.

I like my Clear Quarter Packing Cube. You can put liquid things in one side, like contact solution, and dry things in the other. The divider ensures dry things stay dry if a leak happens in the other side.

ceb
    I've found that most dedicated "toiletries bags" end up wasting lits of space. Get a couple of varying sizes of ziploc bags and put your stuff in them. Separate the liquids/gels (i.e. 3-1-1 stuff) from the dry. One for wet and one for dry.

Then, buy some packing cubes in those sizes, remembering that the cube for wet can't be over a quart. While TSA specs specify a clear "ziploc type" bag, I've had no issues with a mesh bag tethered to my bag going through various airports.

Eagle Creek make some skinny packing cubes that fit on the sides of the center compartment of my Tristar on either side of the brain cell. One side is my power brick and other charging stuff and the other side holds my "dry" shaving stuff (shaver, hair brush, electric toothbrush [brush head removed and in a tiny little ziploc bag], a flat pack of Immodium, Zantac and a small bottle of baby aspirin) My "wet" bag is a small clear TB pouch.

All meds should be in original packaging and all prescription meds should have the label (with your name on it) attached to the bottle. I used to just toss a couple of Immodium, Zantac, aspirin and vitamins in a Go-tub until I saw some kid pulled out of line while they matched each pill he had to a database picture. Now I just buy the over the counter in those foil blister packs and they pack flat and are marked. Luckily I don't take any prescription meds and only have the Immodium and Zantac as first aid supplies - I toss them every year and replace them.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    I like my Clear Quarter Packing Cube. You can put liquid things in one side, like contact solution, and dry things in the other. The divider ensures dry things stay dry if a leak happens in the other side.
    Not a good idea if you are flying as the liquids need to be in their own bag to assure a pain-free trip through security. You maight not have issues with the double bag but the chances of getting re-screened go up.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

I haven't tried this with the aeronaut but the fact that its relatively flat may be nice.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/p...uctid=10150316

I'm thinking of trying one with the tristar to see if it will fit in the laptop compartment.

I have a Dopp kit like bag that I put all my non-liquid stuff. It holds a ton, but fits perfectly in my non-TB bag I travel with. It holds all non-liquids, hair brush and comb, meds/first aid stuff, tiny travel hair straightener, glasses, etc. Then I have a bag similar to the 3D Clear that I use as my 3-1-1 bag. I could definitely get by with a smaller bag/pouch for my non-liquid stuff, but I like that this one holds a ton. Plus I just leave it all packed in there for when I need it.

My dream toiletries bag(s) would look something like this; with the green representing loops of webbing sewn into the seam on the backside like the strap loops on the field journal notebook (picture below) so you could use either a gate-keeper strap through the top two loops
    OR use gate keeper clips to daisy chain multiple 3D organizer pouches together in any combination of clear, mesh and dyneema while still being able to hang the top one and access the zippers on each one.

If they could also include some flat organizer pouches with the same feature it would create the perfect modular toiletries system.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  188.7 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  50.4 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0