Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

The funny thing is that I'm completely new to Tom Bihn and in fact had never even heard of them until recently. Maybe its because I am on the east coast and I don't often look for bags but I was immediately drawn to the Smart Alec much more than the other bags. It really is unique and different looking than most of the bags out there. I plan on using primarily for traveling (mostly carry-on).
    Darcy likes this.

Looks like the new accessories are ready to be pre-ordered, folks! -> Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoguy View Post
    Looks like the new accessories are ready to be pre-ordered, folks! -> Smart Alec Modular Pockets & Straps - Modular Pockets and GateKeeper Straps - TOM BIHN
    You beat me to it! Nice work.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Two "what fits?" questions:
    -Can the upper modular pocket fit an iPad mini in a Cache?
    -Can the lower pocket hold 2 standard size bottles of wine?

Also, please make more small accessories (e.g. PCSB and 3D OCs) with the array of small pockets like the upper pocket. Those look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Quick preview photo of the modular Upper Pocket. (Will be available for pre-order Monday afternoon, along with the Lower Pocket and 1" GateKeeper Straps
    I realize it will look like a spider (with legs), but I wonder if it would be possible to provide a means to add a shoulder strap to this so that you could detach it from a Smart Alec then carry it like separately? Like say I have my phone and wallet in there. I detach it from the Smart Alec, and maybe I want to be able to carry it as a belt bag or a crossbody?
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I realize it will look like a spider (with legs), but I wonder if it would be possible to provide a means to add a shoulder strap to this so that you could detach it from a Smart Alec then carry it like separately?
    We aren't planning to add shoulder strap attachment points to the Upper Pocket. Plus, it's not something that you can attach on/take off very easily/quickly, so you probably wouldn't want to use it that way. I'd suggest waiting for the Mini Cafe Bag... It'll probably fit in the Upper Pocket!
    backpack and Lani like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    Two "what fits?" questions:
    -Can the upper modular pocket fit an iPad mini in a Cache?
    -Can the lower pocket hold 2 standard size bottles of wine?

Also, please make more small accessories (e.g. PCSB and 3D OCs) with the array of small pockets like the upper pocket. Those look great.
    I'll have to grab my iPad mini and two bottles of wine to test this. Sounds like a party.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I'd suggest waiting for the Mini Cafe Bag... It'll probably fit in the Upper Pocket!
    Oooooohhhh!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Oooooohhhh!
    Glad to see I'm not the only one that noticed that statement!

Nope. You aren't the only who saw the statement about the mini cafe bag. I got a SA for Christmas and just ordered the upper pouch for it. A mini cafe bag that fits in the pouch would be awesome! Oh the anticipation.....

Hopefully we'll know more about this MiniCB soon. :-)

Actually the gatekeeper clips are not that hard to release and unreleased once you get the hang of it. I have a strap that has the
    gatekeeper clips and use it to attach it to my packing shoulder cube when I am ready to board a plane so I can keep essential
    items with me at my seat. It looks to me that attaching a strap to the second row of clips on the modular upper pocket would
    work out fine. Not to much you would have a small carry bag made of ballistic nylon (tough stuff).

I thought the Loaded Pocketz review of the Smart Alec is one of the most balanced I have read ever. right on point about all that is good about TB products, especially the Smart Alec, which takes hold of you very gradually, unlike the Synapse which dazzles right away. I am particularly struck by what the reviewer sees as the few negatives: the lack of "keepers" for the long straps. I have asked for this for a while now; most simply add on a simple keeper on the straps to thread things thru and that you can move to keep the edges. It was found on all kinds of cheap backpacks and other bags...I am not entirely sure why TB does not like this simple idea--I would have thought it a no brainer. I don't like using strapeez, or bands which is what I do now. I wish you would simply add a keeper to the various straps so they don't dangle. Makes travel so much better. Thank you for all the fantastic work on the new SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    I thought the Loaded Pocketz review of the Smart Alec is one of the most balanced I have read ever. right on point about all that is good about TB products, especially the Smart Alec, which takes hold of you very gradually, unlike the Synapse which dazzles right away. I am particularly struck by what the reviewer sees as the few negatives: the lack of "keepers" for the long straps. I have asked for this for a while now;
    Shiva, "keepers" are on the way. We might even offer two different kinds. No ETA, but trust that they're in the works!
    Kinsale likes this.

My Smart Alec and accessories arrived today! My first TB purchase. Very impressed with the quality!

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0