Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quick preview photo of the modular Upper Pocket. (Will be available for pre-order Monday afternoon, along with the Lower Pocket and 1" GateKeeper Straps (Accessory Straps.)

Name:  pocket1.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  130.2 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Quick preview photo of the modular Upper Pocket. (Will be available for pre-order Monday afternoon, along with the Lower Pocket and 1" GateKeeper Straps (Accessory Straps.)

Name:  pocket1.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  130.2 KB
    Doh! Right after I order a new Smart Alec!

Looks great, actually. I'm looking forward to seeing the full line.

Super cool looking!

Cool! I am looking forward to Monday.

Better than I envisioned! I like the organization. I'm looking forward to placing my order, Monday.

Man, this really makes me want a Smart Alec. Unfortunately, I just don't think the top loading design will work for me. When I tried it out over the Summer I felt like the opening got too tight too quickly when I loaded it with books.
    Last edited by yeb90; 01-03-2013 at 11:22 PM.

I can't wait to see the lower pocket!

I had never wanted a Smart Alec - loved my Brain Bag and Synapse just fine. But the Nordic Dyneema version tugged at my wallet-strings and and order has been placed. Along with quite a few "accessories".
    --------------------------------

Will these modular pockets come in Dyneema versions as well?
    --------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    Will these modular pockets come in Dyneema versions as well?
    Yes, definitely. No pictures of those until later next week or the week after, though.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Love the pic of the top pocket. Can't wait to get mine! Will the top pockets come in a choice of Dyneema? If I ordered a Black/Black/Wasabi bag could I get the same in the pouch?
    Last edited by larryb; 01-04-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Wow, now I'm definately getting a SA!!

BTW, Darcy, I assume that the modular pockets will only come with Steel Dyneema interior? No wasabi?

I'm going to make the trip down to the store in a couple of weeks, so I'm saving all my pennies for that eventful day!

I will switch my bungee with accessory straps on my Smart Alec. That would work better for me. The pouches look cool but will not fit to the old Smart Alec. Still a nice electronics carrier!
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Hemel View Post
    Wow, now I'm definately getting a SA!!

BTW, Darcy, I assume that the modular pockets will only come with Steel Dyneema interior? No wasabi?

I'm going to make the trip down to the store in a couple of weeks, so I'm saving all my pennies for that eventful day!
    You're right: all modular pockets will have a Steel Dyneema interior. And at least the top pocket (and the Smart Alec itself) should be in-stock when you visit the store. I expect the Smart Alec to sell out pretty quickly, though, so you might send us an email or give us a call (1-800-729-9607) and ask us to hold one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    .... I expect the Smart Alec to sell out pretty quickly, though, ...
    This is impressive!! For the longest time, the Smart Alec seemed to be pretty much ignored. When I purchased mine a while back, there was never a concern about the bag selling out. As I have posted elsewhere, I seem to come back to this bag as my daily bag as well as for travel despite trying so many other bags, I have lost count. Nice to see the bag getting the attention it deserves!!

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0