Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    Interesting updates. I really like the idea of a grab handle. I love my Smart Alec! I carry it to work everyday. I use the Brain Bag and Aeronaut for travel but the Smart Alec is perfect for getting around town!
    I used the grab handle on my Synapse while on vacation a lot, more than the straps actually when it came to picking up the bag. I will also chime in with my love for the Nordic color Smart Alec. Now, to brainstorm potential uses and come up with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Maybe. We're still deciding that.
    And... is there any chance of seeing a ballistic version of the Brain Bag? Would really love that. (And o-rings in the side pockets!)
    Seriously addicted. I love my TB bags (in order of preference): Aeronaut (black/steel), Western Flyer (black/iberian), Smart Alec (black/black), Synapse (steel dyneema/solar), MCB (linen/olive), Cadet (black/steel), Side Effect (black), Shop Bags (various), packing cubes, WF Packing Cube Backpack (steel), Travel Stuff Sacks (various), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (forest), LCB (steel/cayenne), Imago (black ballistic/steel), Co-Pilot (steel/solar), FJN (crimson), Ego (black/steel).

When I first discovered Tom Bihn almost two years ago, I though the Smart Alec was possibly the least attractive backpack I had ever seen. But then, it started to grow on me and a year ago I ordered one for my oldest son (he LOVES it). I wound up taking it as my main bag for a Haiti mission trip this past Summer. I have a Tristar, but it isn't nearly as comfortable for me to carry backpack style. The Smart Alec has continued to grow on me and tonight, I placed an order for one in Steel/Steel/ Wasabi which will be my very own.
    Happy owner of Steel Tristar, Steel Side Effect, Plum Medium Cafe Bag (my first TB), Indigo Synapse, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, various pouches and organizer cubes, Cache.

dmilem, gradually, my Smart Alec became my favorite Tom Bihn bag.
    dmilem likes this.

Any word on the when the accessories will become available? I'm holding off on an order waiting... haha

And it looks like you've added a drain hole for the other side pocket, too. Nice.

Not yet. Because we haven't made that color combination before, we have to wait until the factory crew actually finishes one to take a photo. Should be soon!
    Thanks, Darcy!.... I have another question: is there much of a weight difference between the Steel/Wasabi SA vs the Nordic/Steel SA?

I really love the latest color combinations that have been selected for the SA. Making it sooo difficult to choose! Thanks again!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post
    Thanks, Darcy!.... I have another question: is there much of a weight difference between the Steel/Wasabi SA vs the Nordic/Steel SA?

I really love the latest color combinations that have been selected for the SA. Making it sooo difficult to choose! Thanks again!
    Steel Dyneema/Wasabi vs. Nordic Dyneema/Steel? Interestingly, there might be a very, very small difference in weight... darker fabrics can weigh a tiny bit more than lighter color fabrics just because they have more dye in them.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by WenV View Post

Steel Dyneema/Wasabi vs. Nordic Dyneema/Steel? Interestingly, there might be a very, very small difference in weight... darker fabrics can weigh a tiny bit more than lighter color fabrics just because they have more dye in them.

Now that would be REALLY taking weight to the extreme. I would guess the manufacturing tolerance on your fabric cuts and the threads in your seams would make up the difference in dye weight, wouldn't it?

If you're ever bored one day--hah!--you should weigh a variety of bags with as precise a scale as possible to see if there are any statistically significant differences between colors. LOL!
    Darcy, backpack and dlg like this.

News on the modular pockets and accessory straps will be posted soon.... In the meantime, here's a photo of the Smart Alec in Black/Navy/Iberian with the front bungee removed and replaced with three Accessory Straps.

Name:  smartalecnavy.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  56.9 KB

News on the modular pockets and accessory straps will be posted soon.... In the meantime, here's a photo of the Smart Alec in Black/Navy/Iberian with the front bungee removed and replaced with three Accessory Straps.

Name:  smartalecnavy.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  56.9 KB
    That looks great - both color combination and the straps.

The Black/Navy/Iberian color combination looks perfect.

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, but what do you do with the accessory straps?

dlg
    you could strap accessories to the bag! *ducks*
    but imagine carrying a large cardboard tube with posters or large drawings in them this way, for one. I've seen pictures on the blog of a camera tripod or a christmas tree being held here, too.

http://www.tombihn.com/blog/just-in-...were-wondering
    Last edited by dlg; 01-03-2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: added link

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0