Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

!!

I see the dyneema option for the smart alec. Is the entire bag not dyneema? Is it just replacing the area where the ballistic fabric is?

So excited I just got a shipping notice about my SA- ahead of schedule - however, it's supposed to be delivered on the day I am leaving for a 3 day vacation - perfect to test it out/break it in. Called and left a message to see if I can get faster shipping.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    So excited I just got a shipping notice about my SA- ahead of schedule - however, it's supposed to be delivered on the day I am leaving for a 3 day vacation - perfect to test it out/break it in. Called and left a message to see if I can get faster shipping.
    I hear we were able to connect with you and upgrade your shipping! Happy vacation and let us know how the Smart Alec does.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042 View Post
    !!

I see the dyneema option for the smart alec. Is the entire bag not dyneema? Is it just replacing the area where the ballistic fabric is?
    The Dyneema/nylon option for the Smart Alec = the entire bag is Dyneema/nylon. It's available for pre-order now and ships within a couple of weeks.

Name:  smartalecdyneema.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  123.7 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The Dyneema/nylon option for the Smart Alec = the entire bag is Dyneema/nylon. It's available for pre-order now and ships within a couple of weeks.

Darcy, wow you're beautiful!!!!

EDIT: I mean it's beautiful!

Freudian slip......

HO HO HO, I'll be here all week folks.

I hear we were able to connect with you and upgrade your shipping! Happy vacation and let us know how the Smart Alec does.
    Thanks Darcy! I'm really impressed with the customer service and I'm glad I'll be able to initiate the SA sooner than I thought. A nice 3 day trip to see my siblings in San Francisco should be a good test.

First post here in a long while. After a long layoff from business travel, it picked up again a few weeks ago. In the meantime I've been learning lots about the strength of 210d dyneema in ultralight packs for backcountry trips - I'm a convert. Yet I can also understand the reasoning behind a 400/420d version for folks using a bag every day or schlepping through airports regularly.

On Monday I placed an order for black 1050d ballistic Western Flyer to force me to cut the volume and weight I pack in one bag. I tend to load my Tri-Star to the max regardless of trip length. It arrives tomorrow. But I know it's going to be too small for some trips. The dyneema Smart Alec looks like the perfect companion bag. Do I order now, or hold out for the possibility of steel dyneema exterior / iberian dyneema interior combination coming out in the next couple of months?

Is the expected weight savings of the dyneema Smart Alec also in the region of 20% over the cordura/ballistic version?
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

You know, I've been eyeballing that SA for a long time and just never pulled the trigger because I wasn't a fan of the color combos or more specifically the strip of color down the middle. Just didn't do it for me and I hate solid black bags. This makes me SWOON! I need it! (Like I need another hole in my head as my Daddy would say) Seriously....need! Does it come in Nordic too? Can you pose a picture of the Nordic???

Wow! Love this version of the Smart Alec. This is making choosing colors and material so difficult.

That all-Dyneema version is gorgeous.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    Does it come in Nordic too? Can you pose a picture of the Nordic???
    Here you go..........

Name:  smartalecbackpacknordic.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  101.0 KB

Oh, why did you have to do that, Darcy? I'm overcome with covetousness.

Not fair! I was all set to order the steel dyneema SA, and now I am salivating over Nordic dyneema for the first time :-(. Both work for me aesthetically better than 400d dyneema on other bags for some reason.

Buried in my post last night, Darcy - what is the chance of iberian dyneema interior on either bag, and are the weight savings in the same order of magnitude as you've mentioned on other bags (~20%)?
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

They both look great. Darcy, do you know the weight of the Dyneema SA by any chance?

Love the look of the nordic dyneema smart alec! I already have the last version of the smart alec in all black, which i love (and which 2 people have complimented me on - that never happens with me and my backpacks), but this is very tempting. also very interested to see how the modular pockets would work. hope those get released so i can order them together with the bag.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0