Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    This is awesome! Do these modular pockets have any special features inside if them like O-rings, zippered sections, etc?
    No further zippered sections, but two o-rings:

Name:  smartalecpocket2.jpg
Views: 1021
Size:  201.1 KB
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i totally love this! will you be offering a version in the dyneema fabric to go along with the forthcoming dyneema smart alec?

the dyneema smart alec spoke to me in a dream last night. he said that he can't wait to have me carrying him on my back, and that i should pass the message along to darcy!

i can't wait to hear more information about this modular pocket!
    hehe

There will definitely be a Dyneema/nylon version of the modular pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hi Eric! Thanks for your order.

Your Smart Alec will definitely have the new design as pictured above, though it doesn't come with the webbing accessory straps or modular top pocket (those, along with a second lower modular pocket, will be available for order separately sometime within the next few weeks.)

All Smart Alecs at our Seattle factory/showroom have the new design, so no one has to worry about getting the previous version.
    Thank you, Darcy! Now to suffer the wait

Darcy, can you give us the specs for the Glowire? It isn't obvious to me which driver to get and such.

keb
    Been away for awhile and can't believe I missed this! My Synapse has been asking why he doesn't have a big brother and I always told him it was because there was no mesh on the back of the Smart Alec. Now he just won't shut up!
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar)

Prototype Smart Alec in 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop. (Might be offered for pre-order soon.)

Attachment 2898
    Notice that water beading up on the surface of the 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon, just like it's supposed to. The gear inside (including the 7D used to take this photo) stayed dry.
    This would compliment my Steel Dyneema Synapse perfectly! I have been considering a larger bag from my Synapse. On my last two week trip, I had to take my 13 inch laptop AND my DSLR in the Synapse along with toiletries, one change of clothes (top and bottom), a document folder and miscellaneous cords, pens and a water bottle. As usual, the Synapse swallowed everything miraculously but I did have to get a little more creative with my packing. And I don't necessary like to carry a pack that is 100% full in case I bring back a souvenir.

I have been looking carefully at the Brain bag but I think it would be too much bag for me. The Smart Alec is about a third bigger and looks like it would be perfect for when you need to carry just a little bit more. The bungee straps would be perfect for my ukulele or a wet rain jacket.

One suggestion for an accessory would be a removable flat mesh pocket. The bungee straps look great for bulky items but I'd love to be able swap it out for a flat mesh pocket to hold keys, gum, lip balm, pocket change, small stuff that you need to get to quick.

Brain Bag in Steel Dyneema + accessory flat mesh pocket = PERFECT

Any updates on when the modular pouches will be available?

The top modular pocket is GENIUS! I look forward to seeing the bottom one. What always prevented me from ordering the SA is no olive or coca color availability (yes, I'm the freak who doesn't care for steel. Gorgeous color, but I gravitate to earth tones, and WASABI!), and the two things I like about the Synapse: bottom pocket and center pocket for water bottle. The modular pockets may just sway me on the last two accounts. Now for the colors.... oooo Aubergine... =D
    dorayme likes this.

Those pouches and straps are brilliant! I can't wait to pick these up. My SA is already the most useful and usable backpack I've ever owned, but I will love having the option to expand it as circumstances require.

I can't believe I've only had my SA for about 3 weeks at this point. I honestly don't know how I lived without it. It's killing me that it will now be available in navy--that's the color I would have chosen if it had been available sooner, but I'm quite happy with the steel--and particularly happy that I don't have to wait until February. :-)

Whoa!

[adding more words here because the system wouldn't let me post just one word. Tee hee!]
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by aryabird View Post
    Any updates on when the modular pouches will be available?
    They'll be up for pre-order sometime soon. The top modular pocket is done and the bottom modular pocket is almost done.

They'll be up for pre-order sometime soon. The top modular pocket is done and the bottom modular pocket is almost done.
    Darcy, if I have an "old" SA, I should be able to use the bottom modular pocket, right? But not the top one since I have no loops up there?
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS & 3D COC, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, UV CQPC, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    Darcy, if I have an "old" SA, I should be able to use the bottom modular pocket, right? But not the top one since I have no loops up there?
    Exactly right. The Accessory Straps will also work with your "old" SA.

will the modular pockets come in different colours to match the middle panel colour of the smart alec? for instance, in the photo above we can see a steel modular pocket with the black/steel smart alec. i just got a black/forest smart alec. so.....will there be a forest top or bottom modular pocket?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    will the modular pockets come in different colours to match the middle panel colour of the smart alec? for instance, in the photo above we can see a steel modular pocket with the black/steel smart alec. i just got a black/forest smart alec. so.....will there be a forest top or bottom modular pocket?
    Yes: at this point, we plan to make both the top and bottom modular pockets in these colors -- Black, Steel, Navy, Forest, Cardinal, Aubergine, Nordic Dyneema/nylon and Steel Dyneema/nylon

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0