Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    Possibly a stupid question: what part of the Smart Alec is ballistic and which part Cordura? (Besides the bottom and back, of course.)
    +1. I think the sides are cordura (because of the need for detailed sewing) with the front and bottom ballistic.

More ballistic and less cordura is a big plus for me. I actually bought and returned a Smart Alec because I didn't like all of the cordura or the absence of a mesh back... this looks much nicer to me now... maybe I should order one again...

BTW, I know that cordura is probably a better all around material than ballistic (better abrasion resistance and lower weight than cordura; that said I just don't like cordura very much because of the way it picks up lint and dirt and its feel)
    Last edited by Illum; 11-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks for answering my question, Illum. The updated style is certainly appealing!

This is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway....

Is the Smart Alec a "top opener"/rucksack type of a backpack? Or does it open wider so that it's easier to see the contents of the bag? I've never particularly liked the style of a rucksack. There's never enough light for me to find the one thing that fell out of place and ended up at the bottom of the bag. "Regular" backpacks like the Brain Bag open wide enough so that you can pry apart the front and back and really see what's at the bottom of your bag.

The Smart Alec has very nice looks but I'm afraid that accessing the contents within might drive me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by pw1224 View Post
    This is probably a dumb question but here goes anyway....

Is the Smart Alec a "top opener"/rucksack type of a backpack? Or does it open wider so that it's easier to see the contents of the bag? I've never particularly liked the style of a rucksack. There's never enough light for me to find the one thing that fell out of place and ended up at the bottom of the bag. "Regular" backpacks like the Brain Bag open wide enough so that you can pry apart the front and back and really see what's at the bottom of your bag.

The Smart Alec has very nice looks but I'm afraid that accessing the contents within might drive me nuts.
    The bag has four zippers that open 3 areas. If you are facing the bag, the left side zipper opens into a storage area that is designed for a water bottle -- the right side has a similar zipper and that area is designed for pens/pencils and smaller items (I keep a camera in one small pocket in this area) and the other zippers open the main compartment which is a top flap that folds towards you and allows you to see into the bag. The top flap has zippers on the inside to access 2 small storage compartments. Inside the main bag is a larger area for general stuff and this is where the brain cell can be clipped in for a laptop to be carried. There is also another storage area tucked away towards the front of the bag which I have decided to use for carrying lunch, snacks, etc.

I guess it could be said to be similar to a rucksack bag but it is much easier to see inside and has much easier access -- you also have the O rings inside each area of the bag for storage attachment points which allow easy access to small items.
    S25 (French Blue), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), 2013 Mystery Gift (Parapack Grey)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    First photos of the webbing accessory straps for the Smart Alec (available for pre-order soon):

Name:  smartalec1a.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  197.3 KB

Name:  smartalec1aa.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  301.9 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Top modular pocket. (Bottom modular pocket photos coming soon...)

Name:  smartalecpocket1.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  203.2 KB

Name:  smartalecpocket3.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  252.8 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I love this! Too bad I can't add this to my dear existing Forest/UV/Black SA!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Jay
    This is awesome! Do these modular pockets have any special features inside if them like O-rings, zippered sections, etc?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Top modular pocket. (Bottom modular pocket photos coming soon...)

Name:  smartalecpocket1.jpg
Views: 1332
Size:  203.2 KB

Name:  smartalecpocket3.jpg
Views: 1528
Size:  252.8 KB
    i totally love this! will you be offering a version in the dyneema fabric to go along with the forthcoming dyneema smart alec?

the dyneema smart alec spoke to me in a dream last night. he said that he can't wait to have me carrying him on my back, and that i should pass the message along to darcy!

i can't wait to hear more information about this modular pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i totally love this! will you be offering a version in the dyneema fabric to go along with the forthcoming dyneema smart alec?

the dyneema smart alec spoke to me in a dream last night. he said that he can't wait to have me carrying him on my back, and that i should pass the message along to darcy!

i can't wait to hear more information about this modular pocket!
    YAY! I keep checking to see if the dyneema version is offered for pre-order BEFORE Monday! One of them is calling my name. Is the dyneema version ALL dyneema? Or is the bottom ballistic? Thanks.

Hello Darcy!

I just ordered the Smart Alec a few days ago. They are backordered through the end of February. Does this mean my Smart Alec will encompass the new design as pictured above?

Thank you!

-Eric

The Black/Steel/Steel Smart Alec I ordered a few days ago is on its way to me and I do like the looks of the modular pocket above. Looking forward to seeing the bottom modular pocket. Will they be ready to order soon?

Okay, I've had enough! The Smart Alec is going on my Christmas wish list, dangit. Love the modular pocket idea!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EricSB View Post
    Hello Darcy!

I just ordered the Smart Alec a few days ago. They are backordered through the end of February. Does this mean my Smart Alec will encompass the new design as pictured above?

Thank you!

-Eric
    Hi Eric! Thanks for your order.

Your Smart Alec will definitely have the new design as pictured above, though it doesn't come with the webbing accessory straps or modular top pocket (those, along with a second lower modular pocket, will be available for order separately sometime within the next few weeks.)

All Smart Alecs at our Seattle factory/showroom have the new design, so no one has to worry about getting the previous version.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikoguy View Post
    The Black/Steel/Steel Smart Alec I ordered a few days ago is on its way to me and I do like the looks of the modular pocket above. Looking forward to seeing the bottom modular pocket. Will they be ready to order soon?
    Within the next few weeks for sure.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0