Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

All of this SA love! I have birthday money saved for the return of the Black/wasabi SA and all of this chatter makes me so, um, impatient?! I particularly love the sound of the updated drylex back! Ohhh I can't wait!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    First photo of the updated Smart Alec.

Name:  firstphotonewsmartalec.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  255.7 KB
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Another, showing off the Breathable Drylex Aerospacer 3D mesh back panel.

Name:  firstphotonewsmartalec2.jpg
Views: 885
Size:  170.3 KB
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Breathable mesh option looks great. Consider this "liked" (can't do it from Tapatalk, sorry).

moriond
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I find that the Smart Alec sits on my shoulders much better than the Synapse and is more comfortable in general.
    That's exactly what I found today -- I carried a much heavier load today in the Smart Alec and it seemed light -- the SA seems wider but not as deep if that makes sense, so the load is held against the back more.
    Smart Alec (Black/Steel/Steel), Brain Cell (size 5), Super Ego (Black/Black/Steel), Synapse (Black/Steel), Dyneema Organizer Pouch (Steel), Travel Tray (Steel), 2011 Mystery Gift (Cork), 2012 Mystery Gift (Navy/Nordic), Organizer Wallet (Navy), Kit (Steel), 3D Clear Organizer Cube (Steel), Mesh Ballistic Organizer Pouch (Med.), Gate Keeper Straps, 2013 Mystery Gift

Carried the new Smart Alec today for an hour walk. Kind of cool so I can't say how well the mesh back works, but I'm a big guy and sweat a lot and I had no issues with sweat stains, which were a common problem with my North Face Yavupai that I had been using for the past 7 years.
    Darcy likes this.

I've been thinking about trying a Smart Alec, and the updates look great! Hoping for Navy or Aubergine though....

This just in! We are officially announcing the Smart Alec design update on the blog on Monday. The updates/improvements do add materials and labor costs to the Smart Alec. On Monday, November 26th, we will increase the price of the Smart Alec from $150 to $160. We know some of you have been waiting to order the Smart Alec and wanted to give you a heads-up so that you could have the opportunity to order before we increased the price.
    tCook likes this.

Possibly a stupid question: what part of the Smart Alec is ballistic and which part Cordura? (Besides the bottom and back, of course.)

I'm guessing the front piece under the bungees is the Cordura and the rest is Ballistic? Or is it the other way around?

Prototype Smart Alec in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop. (Might be offered for pre-order soon.)

Name:  smartalecwet2.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  226.5 KB
    Notice that water beading up on the surface of the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon, just like it's supposed to. The gear inside (including the 7D used to take this photo) stayed dry.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Prototype Smart Alec in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon ripstop. (Might be offered for pre-order soon.)

Name:  smartalecwet2.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  226.5 KB
    Notice that water beading up on the surface of the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon, just like it's supposed to. The gear inside (including the 7D used to take this photo) stayed dry.
    this sounds just wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Well, I guess I'll be checking the order screen every few hours. This is great news!

I really wanted a larger Synapse. Should I cave in and order this??
    Owner, Fool On The Hill Recording, Nashville TN

Quote Originally Posted by rlandis View Post
    I really wanted a larger Synapse. Should I cave in and order this??
    I think you should.

I am a really really strong fan of my Brain Bags and Synapse (hoping for another) and I have given the snubbed nose to the Smart Alec for all those years.

But I think it would be perfect for my husband.

The re-design looks great. I really enjoyed carrying my Smart Alec until one of my kids permanently borrowed it. Maybe it's time to revisit for those short trips where my Tri-Star is too big.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0