Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree158Likes

Thread: Early heads-up: Tom has updated the design of the Smart Alec

Just got home from the TB Showroom, where I picked up my Smart Alec! Love the new changes and can't wait to use it.

Also got to get a sneak peek at the upper modular pocket and it looks perfect for all the small little things that end up in your pockets!
    Too bad they're not ready yet otherwise I would have picked up both!
    dorayme likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    New photos showing the hydration tube clip in use (with a 2 liter hydration bladder). Note that, while these photos show the hydration bladder in the side water bottle pocket, it can also be carried in the Lower Modular Pocket or in the main compartment of the Smart Alec.

Name:  edchydration2.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  edchydration3.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  48.4 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Will the 2 or 3 liter Camelbak Unbottle fit to clip on the loops in front of the Smart Alec?

Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Will the 2 or 3 liter Camelbak Unbottle fit to clip on the loops in front of the Smart Alec?
    Hmm, good question. I don't have a Camelbak Unbottle to test... anyone else?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hmm, good question. I don't have a Camelbak Unbottle to test... anyone else?
    Don't tempt me with more reasons to go to REI!!! Is the Unbottle what's shown in the picture there?

Quote Originally Posted by tCook View Post
    Don't tempt me with more reasons to go to REI!!! Is the Unbottle what's shown in the picture there?
    Did you get your 20% off one item coupon?

Shown is a 2 liter Platypus.
    tCook likes this.

The 100l is the closest fit, but it pulls the bag down a bit. Can't post the pic From my phone but I will tonight or tomorrow.

100 ounce, I mean. Have pictures of both sizes. The smaller one could only clip with the top clips.

Here's the 100oz Camelbak Unbottle. It does clip in on both the left and right sides, and on the top and bottom, as you can see. It isn't an exact fit for the height, and it pulls down a bit near the top clip where you can see the fabric folding. The smaller one also fits width-wise, but not height. It doesn't clip on either of the two lower bands.

Name:  unbottle.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  42.4 KB

Thanks, tCook -- good to know.

Thank you very much for the photo, @tCook. You saved me from ordering the SA to check this set up. I like the Camelbak Unbottle for its insulation. I like to carry it outside my pack.
    tCook likes this.

Loaded Pocketz on a new way to use the Smart Alec Lower Modular Pocket --

Name:  aa_zpsc3a3f5c5.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  281.4 KB

Russian doll style? :-)
    Darcy likes this.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Name:  aa_zpsc3a3f5c5.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  281.4 KB
    This photo has prodded me to ask what might be a really silly question: what was the original purpose of lower webbing inside the Smart Alec? Is that for the smaller horizontal brain cells that fit in the bag?

Clearly Pocketz has come up with a good way to use the two lower loops. I'm sure others have as well. I'm just curious as to what their "intended" purpose was.

Those beautiful pictures of the Lower Modular Pocket are going to send me dialing T is for Tom Bihn, any time soon.

I have dreamed of such a pocket ever since my first outing with my first LCB, visiting a farm on a hot spring day.

I had a water bottle, but didn't know what to do with it, I wished there was a Lower Modular Pocket handy.
    Darcy likes this.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0