Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: All hail the new Aeronaut

Quote Originally Posted by dsg29
    I have never, EVER found a backpack that could hold a candle to the Aeronaut for how it looks, works and feels.
    Is that because you can lay all of the things out horizontally as opposed to stacking them vertically in a backpack?

This is the thread that eristick was talkinga about (thanks!): Aeronaut Breve

I think the horizontal aspect is critical, but it's also remarkably easier to carry, even when loaded down. I'm still not entirely sure how Tom did that, but the damn thing just plain WORKS better. And of course it looks absolutely terrific, but I'm a function over form kinda guy, so the great looks are nothing more than a bonus for me.

I've owned some great backpacks. I still have a few I like, including the SmartAlec, but never had anything quite like my *scarlet* Aeronaut (I'm the one who complained that crimson is inaccurate, and I won't call it that because, well, it isn't crimson).
    It's worth considering that your entire purpose in life could be to serve as a warning to others.

So the Aeronaut's better than a backpack, but how does it compare to small wheeled luggage? There's the obvious difference of wheels vs duffel/backpack style, but what made you pick the Aeronaut over a wheeled bag?

I don't think the Aeronaut's for me, but I'm trying to get my older brothers to buy them because they're all out of graduate school and it's time for them to upgrade. One of them already has a small wheel-on bag, but the other two lug around these beat-up duffel bags that can't be comfortable(and look terrible).

Eristick, how much did your aeronaut weigh loaded, if you don't mind me asking?

timarelay: I think Doug of onebag.com covered all of the negative points of wheeled luggage:
    - relatively few places have sufficiently smooth surface to use the wheels full time
    - wheels require a "superstructure" that increases weight and reduces capacity
    - airplane people are much more likely (it appears) to let you through with something that appears small (aeronaut that is) vs something that looks like it needs to be checked in.

Anyway, I think I might go up to seattle in a couple of weeks and check out aeronaut in person.

Quote Originally Posted by eighty
    timarelay: I think Doug of onebag.com covered all of the negative points of wheeled luggage:
    - relatively few places have sufficiently smooth surface to use the wheels full time
    - wheels require a "superstructure" that increases weight and reduces capacity
    - airplane people are much more likely (it appears) to let you through with something that appears small (aeronaut that is) vs something that looks like it needs to be checked in.
    Checked out the site. Learned a bit about luggage that I wish I'd known considering I fly overseas at least once a year and do a bit of travelling within the US for breaks(I'm a college student), usually on trains which are not made for suitcases or anything else that must be dragged behind you. The Aeoronaut Breve probably would be a good addition to my bag collection as my other duffel types are falling apart, but I'd really like to see one in person first. Hence one of the underlying reasons I'm trying to get my brothers to buy it.

After watching me tape one of my bags back together(I can't beleive how cheaply made it was. I should take pictures of it. I'm not a terribly strong, heavy user of the bag for it to rip the way it did), my parents might be open to funding my purchase of an Aeronaut.

I haven't heard any feedback from women using the Aeronaut though, or maybe I haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay
    Checked out the site. Learned a bit about luggage that I wish I'd known considering I fly overseas at least once a year and do a bit of travelling within the US for breaks(I'm a college student), usually on trains which are not made for suitcases or anything else that must be dragged behind you. The Aeoronaut Breve probably would be a good addition to my bag collection as my other duffel types are falling apart, but I'd really like to see one in person first. Hence one of the underlying reasons I'm trying to get my brothers to buy it.

After watching me tape one of my bags back together(I can't beleive how cheaply made it was. I should take pictures of it. I'm not a terribly strong, heavy user of the bag for it to rip the way it did), my parents might be open to funding my purchase of an Aeronaut.

I haven't heard any feedback from women using the Aeronaut though, or maybe I haven't been paying attention.
    Yeah there's definitely an advantage to travelling light. I'm going to Asia for 3 weeks soon, I'll see how it goes with aeronaut (if i end up purchasing it).

Eristick is female, check out her thread. Also I believe the only difference between Breve and Aeronaut is the placement of the "backpack straps", i.e. they are a bit shorter (?) on the breve.

I was initially very skeptical about the $175 price on the aeronaut - that's quite steep considering the competition. Then it occured to me that I'd pay extra for quality and durability rather than have my clothes and other articles spill somewhere on foreign soil..

Quote Originally Posted by eighty
    I was initially very skeptical about the $175 price on the aeronaut - that's quite steep considering the competition. Then it occured to me that I'd pay extra for quality and durability rather than have my clothes and other articles spill somewhere on foreign soil..
    Hm, I'm quite willing to pay that amount for a travelling bag. I've been through a variety of travelling situations, many more pleasant than others, that have taught me the importance of a good bag. Least pleasant by far has to have been taking the train at the end of the school year and having to carry everything I'll need for the summer, including two rabbits(in their carriers and then in another bag, one in a backpack, the other in a tote; poor dears). By the end my back hurt and I was miserable. I'm sure the rabbits weren't happy either.

The wheeled duffel that I currently have wasn't cheap, but it was cheaper than some of the other options. That turned out to be because it was made of flimsy material that has torn around all the handles. The suitcase that I bought with it has started to suffer a similar fate.

Er, I'm a girl.

Eristick, how much did your aeronaut weigh loaded, if you don't mind me asking?
    I'm not sure -- I don't actually own a scale. Sorry! I'm a weakling, though, and didn't find it to be a terrible burden. It was certainly lighter than my boyfriend's small flight case, even though I brought more clothes.
    Last edited by eristick; 08-14-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eristick
    Er, I'm a girl.
    Yeah, I wasn't paying attention to my own memory(which happens far too often), because I had looked at your post of the review before.

My mother ended up making me buy a 21" rolling suitcase(I'd never use it as a carry-on in a plane; it's mostly for train travel). It'd be her money spent either way, so I protested, but stopped when I realised she wasn't budging. She insists that I'm too small to carry anything that big and that it'd be bad for my back and that there's no reason these days to physically carry "that much".

I work at Tom Bihn
    Quote Originally Posted by l3gray
    candy apple?
    irreverent biopsy?
    burnt red?
    vermillion?
    cinnamon?
    carnelian?

I envy you all your Aeronaut. :/ I'm going to get one eventually, it's next on the list for me after the ID.

I feel like such an addict. *laugh*
    Nothing wrong with that!!! My friends are always amazed at my array of bags (nearly all of them from here, of cooouurseee)... It's almost as bad as my shoe addiction!

I really like the sound of vermillion, but I'm not really familiar with what the actual color is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0