Nexus 7 and Phone Bag/Case

Hi

Wow! I've been away from the forums for over a year and I can't believe all the stuff I've missed. There's always something about TB that draws you back...

Anyhoo, I've just bought a Nexus 7 and now can't decide how to transport it. I originally thought I would get a small cafe bag and maybe see which cache was most suitable for the nexus. But for some reason that combination just isn't sitting well with me. After a lot of thinking, what I'm really after is something like a Field Journal Notebook but for an iPad Mini/Nexus 7. Confused? Ok, here's my vision and logic (put your seatbelts on, this is gonna be bumpy ...)

My Nexus is wifi only. This means that it's usually paired up with my mobile phone. I also use mySMS to send text messages from the tablet via the phone. So, I was hoping to be able to store both phone and tablet in the FJN and along with spare USB battery and stylus. Hell, why not throw in a wireless keyboard too! This way everything I need is within easy reach and easily held in the hand. But I think I am asking too much of the FJN. I know there are a few keyboard portfolio cases out there for the Nexus but frankly ... they lack the TB touch of magic.

Does anybody have any suggestions for modifying the FJN to make it the ultimate phone and tablet case. Or am I just plain nuts?

Twitchy

I started writing an answer multiple times but my husband pre-empted the use of the computer and I told him to close all the windows, forgetting I had an answer almost ready to be posted.

The Nexus fits in a Medium Padded Pouch, see the thread below iPad mini bags for more options.

I have an FJN and will test if the Medium Padded Pouch fits in the back pocket or inside the FJN.

My Medium Padded Pouch has been stretched due to its previous content, so it might not fit. I don't want to stretch the FJN back pocket.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I have an FJN and will test if the Medium Padded Pouch fits in the back pocket or inside the FJN.

My Medium Padded Pouch has been stretched due to its previous content, so it might not fit. I don't want to stretch the FJN back pocket.
    The Medium Padded Pouch is too large to fit inside the FJN -- either inside or in the back pocket. If you have a Medium organizer pouch that is foldable -- such as one in Dyneema, then you fit the pouch inside the FJN. If I use one of these pouches with a Kindle PaperWhite or Touch, without an external case, the device can be slipped either into the inside or into the back pocket. A better solution is to use the Kindle pouch, which is not quite as long and tapered enough to just fit inside the FJN. I don't have this as a padded pouch, but the version in Cork works, and should also work for the Nexus 7. I can also easily slide this into the back pocket of the FJN, and I can put the later Kindle models with case into the pouch. (It's a bit tight for the Kindle Keyboard). I think the Kindle pouch might work for the new iPad Mini.

Another solution that works for me is to use the padded pouch sized for the USB SuperDrive for the newer Kindles (Touch or PaperWhite) without an external case. This can fit either inside or in the outside pouch (a bit tight). The device just clears the zipper edges when inserted. This works best when the top of the padded pouch (just below the zipper) is folded over, so that the folded part sits above the pen pockets. The pouch can hook to the o-ring.

I'll paste in some dimensions:
    FJN Dimensions: 9.8" x 7.9" x 2.2" / 250 x 200 x 55 mm

The iPad Mini measures 7.87 x 5.3 x 0.28 inches and the Nexus 7 measures 7.81 x 4.82 x 0.41 inches.

Medium Padded Pouch: External Dimensions - 10.3" x 7" / 260 x 180 mm; Weight: 1.8 oz / 51 grams

SuperDrive Padded Pouch: External Dimensions - 7.8" x 8.3" / 200 x 210 mm; Weight: 1.8 oz / 51 grams

Kindle Pouch: External Dimensions: 6.9" x 9.5" / 175 x 240 mm
    Weight: Ultrasuede® - 1.6 oz / 45 grams; Padded - 2.1 oz / 60 grams; Cork - 1.6 oz / 45 grams

HTH. moriond

Hi

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot to think about .

I started thinking about the Medium Padded Pouch and it seems great with just one niggle ... it has a zipper. I worry that sliding the nexus in and out of the pouch will cause the zipper to eventually scratch the screen. I like the idea of the Ipad mini cache. I like that there isn't anything that could snag either the case or the screen. Maybe I should keep an eye on what TB has in store for us

Twitchy

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    Hi

Thanks for the info. Looks like I have a lot to think about .

I started thinking about the Medium Padded Pouch and it seems great with just one niggle ... it has a zipper. I worry that sliding the nexus in and out of the pouch will cause the zipper to eventually scratch the screen. I like the idea of the Ipad mini cache. I like that there isn't anything that could snag either the case or the screen. Maybe I should keep an eye on what TB has in store for us

Twitchy
    Tom Bihn Pouches zippers are plastic and soft because they have a rounded edge.

I am notoriously fuzzy about keeping my things in tip top shape and I have been carrying my reading glasses in a Clear Pouch since 2008, no scratching.

My Medium Padded Pouch holds my mini photo/video gear since 2009, no scratches.

Below, is About Us written to inform Tom Bihn Inc customers about the quality of the components used in the bags.

About TAbout Us : TOM BIHN

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0