Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: iPad mini bags

Maverick and Moriond, you are geniuses, thank you so much! Dream come true of becoming as minimalist as possible as far as EDC is concerned.

Moriond, I realized husband Nexus needed a protective case and my lovely Platinum Padded Pouch housed something else but his need are more urgent.

How could I forget my favorite name for a color? This is why we need a virtual Tom Bihn Inc museum.

I need to get a firm list and order soon.

Volunteer Moderator
    @backpack Possibly the neatest answer to Nexus sized tablets fitting into Cafe Bags, now that we've established that they can use the medium size padded organizer pouches, is in the pictures of the blog post, Katy’s new Kindle with Organizer Pouches, Small Cafe Bag (Photos). That link dates back from when they offered a special line of medium organizer pouches for the Kindle, including combinations such as the Cayenne Ultrasuede and the Cork pouch (still available) shown in the pictures.

The New: Sleeves for the Amazon Kindle blog post that appeared a little earlier showed the range of offerings, including Leaf green Ultrasuede and a padded pouch in Charcoal. The Platinum padded pouches that you and I have we're sold through mid-2009. Here's a picture of the medium size padded pouch in Platinum that we're speaking of:

There was some discussion in the What's Your 2011 Tom Bihn Wish List? thread about other color options for the padded pouches, but you'll see from the discussion (linked page 12) that they decided to keep to just black for the near future.

You could probably also use the Kindle Pouches for the Nexus, since the size is pretty close to the medium size organizer pouches. There's a very slight taper so that the bottom is less wide. This makes it easier to stash one of these inside a Field Journal Notebook, as I think dorayme described in a review post of the Kindle pouch in Cork.

HTH. moriond

Darcy as you explore new bags for the iPad mini i am thinking small and light like the bag pictured with shoulder and waist staps and or a light harness set up that would allow it to be worn under a shirt for example as well as on a shirt.
    The bag pictured above doesn't seem to have any straps or carry set up.
    I am curious to see what you will offer in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @backpack Possibly the neatest answer to Nexus sized tablets fitting into Cafe Bags, now that we've established that they can use the medium size padded organizer pouches, is in the pictures of the blog post, Katy’s new Kindle with Organizer Pouches, Small Cafe Bag (Photos). That link dates back from when they offered a special line of medium organizer pouches for the Kindle, including combinations such as the Cayenne Ultrasuede and the Cork pouch (still available) shown in the pictures.

The New: Sleeves for the Amazon Kindle blog post that appeared a little earlier showed the range of offerings, including Leaf green Ultrasuede and a padded pouch in Charcoal. The Platinum padded pouches that you and I have we're sold through mid-2009. Here's a picture of the medium size padded pouch in Platinum that we're speaking of:

There was some discussion in the What's Your 2011 Tom Bihn Wish List? thread about other color options for the padded pouches, but you'll see from the discussion (linked page 12) that they decided to keep to just black for the near future.

You could probably also use the Kindle Pouches for the Nexus, since the size is pretty close to the medium size organizer pouches. There's a very slight taper so that the bottom is less wide. This makes it easier to stash one of these inside a Field Journal Notebook, as I think dorayme described in a review post of the Kindle pouch in Cork.

HTH. moriond
    Moriond, thank you so much for linking those blog posts which I missed last year.

Definitely exited about the prospect of ultra light mobile computing, I might be able to encourage ownership of a TB bag for my husband to house his Nexus and Pouch as well as phone.

Resurrect the Cache for Apple Wireless Keyboard?

I preordered an iPad mini for my daughter last night & have considered getting an Apple wireless keyboard to have when she needs to type papers, but want something to protect it when she's mobile. Searching the forums I found the New! Cache for Apple Wireless Keyboard post from last year. Has there been any thought of bringing that back as a product offering?

The Ipad Mini went on sale today for pre-orders. Within 20 minutes, the entire pre-order run of white units sold out. The black ones were still available.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I preordered an iPad mini for my daughter last night and have been considering getting an Apple Wireless Keyboard for it when she needs to do some extended typing. Searched the site for keyboard protection while she's mobile and stumbled across the New! Cache for Apple Wireless Keyboard post. Has there been any thought to offering this again in light of the iPad mini. Since it's difficult for some to type on the iPad for an extended period of time, I would think the size of the iPad mini would make it even more difficult.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Name:  ipadminisleeve.jpg
Views: 1978
Size:  108.7 KB

Available for pre-order and ships by early November: Cache for iPad mini

Read more about the Cache for iPad mini -- including a list of which bags it fits in -- on the blog.

More photos will be on the way as soon as we receive our iPad minis....
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

That bag has some of the features I am looking for, like vertivcal load, sized for iPad mini. In addition I would like to see a zippered top for security and shoulder and waist straps. A possible solution would be something like a mini sized cafe bag with zippered opening, for extra security. Essentially what I am thinking about is a bag that is light and secure and designed to carry the mini, not all the other stuff. It could be versatile enough to also be in effect a cache bag for insertion in other bags. I see that you have hinted that other designs are on the horizen so I will be interested to see what those are.
    Last edited by Packbetter; 10-27-2012 at 12:31 PM.

The Nexus 7 should also fit into the Nook Color/Tablet pouch, as it is slightly smaller in all dimensions.

I use the Nook Simple Touch pouch daily in my SCB, and it's great as I can just reach in, unzip the bag, and slide out the device, without removing the pouch from the bag. I have the padded bag and love it.

In order to test the most suitable item to protect the Nexus for somebody who is not bag oriented, my husband, I am experimenting before I order,

I took out the Cache for our netbook, the Nexus and netbook fit in the Cache.

I realized that zipper less or velcro less is probably not for him, especially in the north/south configuration, which all my Tom Bihn computer bags are.

He seems happy with the Medium Padded Pouch and I will get a new one in Black so I can get my vintage Platinum back.

One of those days, i will spend some times at the Apple store and play with the iPad line to make sure it is what I want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0