Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

I love it!

What does everyone think?
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-16-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Added link so folks could find the news that alta215 found
    ncb4 and dorayme like this.

OMG! *faints* Love it!
    Lani likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You found it in record-breaking time!
    moriond and Lani like this.
    U.S. / Canada 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: +1-206-652-4123
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    You found it in record-breaking time!
    Great to see this up on the blog. I've been waiting ever since your Facebook hint of last week:
    October 10
    Something new is in the works. No hints, but it'd be too tough to guess anyway. More news (if not an announcement) next week.
    P.S. I'm waiting for Lani's reaction. Just as the first thougt after the Aubergine announcement was to look for dorayme's reaction, I'm waiting to read Lani's response. Oh, and by the way, will there be a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Nordic Dyneema?
    Last edited by moriond; 10-16-2012 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Added PostScript

Blue's my favourite color - so excited at this news! After 11pm here in the UK, so about to go to sleep (and probably dream of all the things I might be able to buy in Nordic Dyneema!).

Last edited by Darcy; 10-16-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Interesting......what about bag weights? How have they differed? (I'm especially interested in regards to the three main travel bags.)
    Last edited by Frank II; 10-16-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Interesting......what about bag weights? How have they differed?
    Weights for the Aeronaut, Swift and Tri-Star are coming soon. Western Flyer and Co-Pilot will be a little longer because we don't yet have samples of those bags in 400d Dyneema.

From the Synapse page:

The Synapse in 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop:
    The Synapse is also available in ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop. This steller fabric is made for us in Japan. Though half the weight of our 1000d Cordura® nylon, it has comparable tear strength and very good abrasion resistance. With 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop you'll save about 20% on the over-all weight of the Synapse. Note that 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop won't stand up to the all-out abuse that Cordura® can handle - you'll need to exercise care and not drag or otherwise mistreat your ultralight Synapse. It's a compromise many will feel worthwhile, but it's a compromise to consider.

If the Aeronaut is brought down about 20% it would mean about half a pound off and bring the bag down to around 2 lbs. THAT would be impressive.
    backpack and Lani like this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Darcy I think, as Frank mentions, this is the right audience to accept the trade-offs in weight/durability that you outline. (It does mean that you can't get a single color black bag with this fabric.). With regard to the Swift, I've been wanting something between the weight of the regular shop bags and the Ballistic Swifts (or my pre-cursor Lux bag) to take traveling. This will be great.

moriond

Oh I like this! Congratulations on pushing the manufacturers to create this exciting new fabric for you!

OMG! Love it!

I must be a freak of nature... bright stripey luggage just does not appeal to me... give me black or other dark colors that don't show dirt or wear, maybe with edging or accents of other dark colors (eg dark purple) and I'm happy.

- Tim

It's amazing! As someone who discovered TB long after Sapphire left the scene, I am super excited to see this color!

Lighter weight in the travel bags would be a deal maker for me (gochicken... not very strong)
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS & 3D COC, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, UV CQPC, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GGGGGGGGGGGGGGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Quick!!! Lani hyperventilated and fainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast