Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

Lovely. A 400d Wasabi request: PLEASE. Or Wasabi/Wasabi bags. The Nordic is lovely.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Why wouldn't you check a Dyneema bag?
    I don't trust them to handle the bag(s) with care...
    Isn't that one of the main reason why most of us go for carry on bags?

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042 View Post
    I agree that we want to try to avoid checking in bags. That said, assuming you've got a lock on your various zippered compartments, I would rather trust a Dyneema bag than a lot of other bags on the market.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042 View Post
    Point taken, baggage handlers aren't interested in being gentle, but I thought the the main reason for carrying on (at least on this forum) was packing lightly and efficiently. Traveling light means it is comfortable to keep our stuff with us, which means no delays or disappointment for lost luggage when we arrive at our destinations.

I don't buy travel bags for the sake of collection. I buy them to be used. I want to travel! There's been a surprising amount of caution expressed over the durability of the heavier Dyneema, and I am mighty puzzled by it. As long as I didn't pack my bag full of breakables, I would send any Dyneema bag (200 or 400) through baggage handler training school. Even the lightweight Dyneema is plenty sturdy for getting slung around and squashed under bigger, heavier bags.

I'd love to see a gallery of beat-up Tom Bihn bags. Does such a thing even exist?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Point taken, baggage handlers aren't interested in being gentle, but I thought the the main reason for carrying on (at least on this forum) was packing lightly and efficiently. Traveling light means it is comfortable to keep our stuff with us, which means no delays or disappointment for lost luggage when we arrive at our destinations.

I don't buy travel bags for the sake of collection. I buy them to be used. I want to travel! There's been a surprising amount of caution expressed over the durability of the heavier Dyneema, and I am mighty puzzled by it. As long as I didn't pack my bag full of breakables, I would send any Dyneema bag (200 or 400) through baggage handler training school. Even the lightweight Dyneema is plenty sturdy for getting slung around and squashed under bigger, heavier bags.

I'd love to see a gallery of beat-up Tom Bihn bags. Does such a thing even exist?
    Interesting. I, too, would be hesitant to check a dyneema Aeronaut (even though I know it's a heavier dyneema than the stuff that made my Travel Tray). I'm too used to my ballistic Aeronaut being indestructible.

I think that Cordura could appear beat-up... notice that my phrasing is, "could appear" as opposed to, "actually would be"...

I'm intrigued and amused by the idea of a gallery of beat-up Bihn bags. I suspect that the average age of the bags would be over 10 years.

I would be interested in photos of well used/worn TB bags with their age and frequency of use. I have put a lot of miles on my tristar since I purchased it at the beginning of the year and it still looks new.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar6 View Post
    I would be interested in photos of well used/worn TB bags with their age and frequency of use. I have put a lot of miles on my tristar since I purchased it at the beginning of the year and it still looks new.
    That's a great idea... I think we should start a new thread just for those photos (and stories of use over the years.) Anyone have suggestions for a title for the thread?
    Lani likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    That's a great idea... I think we should start a new thread just for those photos (and stories of use over the years.) Anyone have suggestions for a title for the thread?
    I think the biggest problem would be that it's very hard to get a Tom Bihn bag to look all raggedy and scuffed up!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I think the biggest problem would be that it's very hard to get a Tom Bihn bag to look all raggedy and scuffed up!
    Hee hee! Maybe we should call it the Unicorn thread if a beat-up TB bag is a mythical beast. :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

My thinking is Vintage Tom Bihn Bags would be perfect for the thread because many owners of older bags might come out of the woodwork to show off their aquisitions and tell us more about Tom Bihn Inc when it was in Santa Cruz or Port Angeles or Dowtown Seattle.

Each bag could be placed on a timeline, Tom and the Crew could supplement the customers' stories with anecdotes.

I enjoyed the story of "The Feather Room" which was the start of Tom Bihn Inc and the brief transition from Tom Bihn to Black Bags when Tom said " I got tired of seeing my name everywhere".

Nice option for those who want to save weight.. Also like the new patterns..

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yarn Stuff Sacks made out of 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon (as opposed to the 200d Dyneema/nylon that they're currently made out of) might slow the needle down, but it wouldn't prevent it from pushing through. One of the many great things about using Dyneema/nylon of any weight as the material the Yarn Stuff Sacks are made out of is that the Dyneema grid will prevent that hole from ever expanding/getting bigger. If we made Yarn Stuff Sacks out of 1050d ballistic nylon, you'd get a fairly needle-proof Stuff Sack, though it would be stiffer/heavier and the drawstring might not work very well anymore. Are the holes confined to the bottom of your Yarn Stuff Sack? A Yarn Stuff Sack with a ballistic bottom might be possible.
    Actually, the majority of the holes are up in the top six inches. Usually the yarn sits at the bottom and I just shove the project in because I'm in a hurry and then end up poking myself when I reach into the bag and grab the stuff sack. Mind you, none of the holes changes anything, the sacks still work perfectly.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi!

i'm excited about the new nordic dyneema fabric! do you think it would pair well with an iberian dyneema interior?

thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi!

i'm excited about the new nordic dyneema fabric! do you think it would pair well with an iberian dyneema interior?

thanks!
    Yes, the color that matches it most closely is navy. The actual blue tones have a more "midnight" blue tone than the older sapphire Dyneema did. The fabric feels more substantial and less "crinkly"than the Dyneema of the Shop bags without really feeling "lighter". I'd be curious to hear more comments from Janine about her impressions, since she has both the Sapphire Dyneema and now, a Synapse in the new Nordic Dyneema. But in answer to your question, I think it would pair very well with an Iberian Dyneema interior, much as Navy/Iberian did.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Yes, the color that matches it most closely is navy. The actual blue tones have a more "midnight" blue tone than the older sapphire Dyneema did. The fabric feels more substantial and less "crinkly"than the Dyneema of the Shop bags without really feeling "lighter". I'd be curious to hear more comments from Janine about her impressions, since she has both the Sapphire Dyneema and now, a Synapse in the new Nordic Dyneema. But in answer to your question, I think it would pair very well with an Iberian Dyneema interior, much as Navy/Iberian did.

moriond
    yay! i'm even more excited now! i wasn't sure if the nordic blue may be too light a blue to pair well with iberian.

darcy, what do you think? could we see the nordic dyneema paired up with iberian dyneema?

thanks!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast