Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

What would be the different ways you could "destroy" a dyneema bag? Constantly dragging it and/or carrying sharp objects? I have been using the shop bag and feel like I've really abused it (and that's "only" the 200d fabric). I don't plan on giving up my 200d synapse because it has solar, but the other travel bags in 400d are very tempting.

I wouldn't want to check a dyneema bag while traveling, but for strictly carry on purposes, it might be wonderful...

is this new dyneema material more expensive or less expensive than the ballistic nylon? if it is about the same i would understand the same prices for the bag in this new material but what if the new dyneema is cheaper? would this cheaper price result in a cheaper tri star or aeronaut in this newer dyneema material?
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    is this new dyneema material more expensive or less expensive than the ballistic nylon? if it is about the same i would understand the same prices for the bag in this new material but what if the new dyneema is cheaper? would this cheaper price result in a cheaper tri star or aeronaut in this newer dyneema material?
    What if they said it was MORE expensive? Would you still feel the same and suggest they should raise their prices?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    Darcy,

Can one of the knitters at the store try and poke a size 1 or 2 metal or acrylic needle through the 400 weight? My yarn and stuff sacks have a few holes in them from my needles so I'm curious if the new heavier weight will prevent this.

Thanks
    Yarn Stuff Sacks made out of 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon (as opposed to the 200d Dyneema/nylon that they're currently made out of) might slow the needle down, but it wouldn't prevent it from pushing through. One of the many great things about using Dyneema/nylon of any weight as the material the Yarn Stuff Sacks are made out of is that the Dyneema grid will prevent that hole from ever expanding/getting bigger. If we made Yarn Stuff Sacks out of 1050d ballistic nylon, you'd get a fairly needle-proof Stuff Sack, though it would be stiffer/heavier and the drawstring might not work very well anymore. Are the holes confined to the bottom of your Yarn Stuff Sack? A Yarn Stuff Sack with a ballistic bottom might be possible.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    The Nordic is making me Suddenly COVETOUS.
    My preciousssssss!!
    ncb4 likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042
    What if they said it was MORE expensive? Would you still feel the same and suggest they should raise their prices?
    Well...... the 400/420d Dyneema/nylon is substantially more expensive than our 1050d ballistic nylon. We've decided to absorb that price difference for now but we may reevaluate in the future. You might want to consider this as an introductory price.
    backpack and Lani like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by trin0042 View Post
    What would be the different ways you could "destroy" a dyneema bag? Constantly dragging it and/or carrying sharp objects? I have been using the shop bag and feel like I've really abused it (and that's "only" the 200d fabric). I don't plan on giving up my 200d synapse because it has solar, but the other travel bags in 400d are very tempting.

I wouldn't want to check a dyneema bag while traveling, but for strictly carry on purposes, it might be wonderful...
    Well... don't fill a 400d/420d Aeronaut full of gravel and let it fall off the roof of your car while driving 60mph. That could really mess it up.

The 400d/420d Dyneema/nylon is roughly 50% more durable than the 200d your Shop Bag is made out of.. in other words, it'd take about twice the abuse.
    Janine likes this.

All the women on this thread are having such a hard time deciding which bag and color to get. I guess it's really putting you all in a bind(er).

Sorry, I just had to.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I have no trouble deciding which color to get. The next bag I will get will be the new Steel Dyneema Synapse since there's no Ultraviolet option now. I'd like to get an Aeronaut but I'm not sure if the durability of the Aubergine Ballistic Nylon (for being in the trunk of the car) or the lightness of the Steel Dyneema (for carrying everywhere else other than the car on said trips) will win out over the other.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

indeed they should.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I have no trouble deciding which color to get. The next bag I will get will be the new Steel Dyneema Synapse since there's no Ultraviolet option now. I'd like to get an Aeronaut but I'm not sure if the durability of the Aubergine Ballistic Nylon (for being in the trunk of the car) or the lightness of the Steel Dyneema (for carrying everywhere else other than the car on said trips) will win out over the other.
    Marbenais, what do you mean choose?

I have a couple of small item I want to order, I waited thinking maybe something new was going to come and...

BAM, I fainted, 3 times, at the Aubergine, special edition Swift and the Travel Dyneema, yes I know, it has a number but I am not a number person so I had to give it a name.

Or I could call it the Sneaky Dyneema because I am sure Tom was wearing it on the new pictures looking at the mountains.

It was there in plain sight, Darcy loooves to tease us with this kind of tease pictures (of bags) and forum posts like "there is something new, it's fabulous but I can't say more", all is left for her to do is bat her lashes like the lady animals in 50's cartoons (which is extremely cute)

Thank you for keeping us posted and give us these maddening but extremely useful hints, Darcy, which help at planning new aquisitions to my already significant Tom Bihn bags and accessories wardrobe.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-20-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Well, choosing is difficult, but in a family of two students-for-a-good-while-longer and one not-earning-a-salary dog, choosing is necessary! We all love purple so that makes things easier :-)
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Well, choosing is difficult, but in a family of two students-for-a-good-while-longer and one not-earning-a-salary dog, choosing is necessary! We all love purple so that makes things easier :-)
    I completely get it, and I forgot to add a smiley after my question (serves me well to post really late).

My list is long because, like you, I have to choose what would be the most useful big bag to get with the next order.

Just like you and many other posters, I love purple. I also love blue, I can list the items I really wanted but missed in Indigo because of the dilema we both face.

I love UV and knew that I was going to use all the bags and accessories I bought in that color. They have been my EDC bags all Summer long and right now in our mostly sunny and sometimes hot which can turn rainy and cold at the drop of a hat, Fall.

As much as I love my UV EDC, it doesn't cut it in a more formal environment. It would have to be replaced by LCB Cordura which I already own.

However, if I need to carry more than what fits in Large Cafe Bag, I will need a briefcase style bag, which the Cadet defines to perfection. The Cadet lines are so classic, I feel that a Co-Pilot would be better suited than the LCB as an accompanying "purse".

Then Darcy announced that Tom was working on the Pilot and the most beautiful Aubergine was unveiled making sure that my collection of Ballistic could grow to the same proportion as the ones in Cordura and Light Dyneema.

Then the Travel Dyneema was announced in Nordic, throwing me for such a spin, I feel like a dreidel.

Speaking of dreidel, you are helping me work on my Hannukah list, right on this thread.

Thanks Marbenais.

I am trying desperatly to forget the beautiful picture of the Anniversary Swift in its all purple glory, as you can see, it is not working at all.

I have a list of small accessories for my next order but I don't know which big Tom Bihn bag is going to share the UPS ride.

We are streamlining our budget as much as possible, so it needs to be a well thought out decision.

TB bags are investments because they lasts so long.

I really really want a TB bag collection a la "Oprah visiting the wardrobe room of the rich and famous" but...

You are definitely not the only one having trouble choosing TB bags.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-20-2012 at 12:40 PM.

I have no trouble deciding which color to get. The next bag I will get will be the new Steel Dyneema Synapse since there's no Ultraviolet option now.
    There may not be. If there isn't I will be very sad, but, nordic is gorgeous for now.

Why wouldn't you check a Dyneema bag?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast