Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    (I know, I know, enough about my Synapse love affair)
    But I want to hear more, from you and from all the Synapse lovers out there!

I really like my Synapse, but I want to adore it. The pockets in the Synapse are fantastic if you are just carrying this bag, but they can work against a bag-in-bag packer like me. I'm used to having a larger backpack that I can toss a purse into, and its extra size just swallows the bulky purse up and doesn't bat an eye. With the Synapse, I'm using up vital real estate for the purse that otherwise would have been used for important stuff...like, well, snacks.

I think what would be the Ultimate Fantastic Awesome Solution would be a smaller Dyneema bag, along the lines of a Side Effect but without the added bulk of the waist straps (and here I go again, sorry) or maybe a mini Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or Unclear Quarter Packing Cube. Then I would have a squishable purse-like object that's not taking up too much space on its own, but that would satisfy this need I have to keep a small bag with my wallet and phone in it, one that I could clip a 16" key strap to for an over-the-arm purse, or a long strap to for crossbody carry. Argh!

Maybe I just need to give myself permission to let go of the whole PLO idea. I can hear Obi-Wan Kenobi whispering in my ear, Use the Organizer Pouches, Janine. Just pack the Synapse like a huge purse. I don't know....

Halp!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    The numbers are in: our Aeronaut and Tri-Star travel bags in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon are 20% lighter than the same bags made out of our U.S. 1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon.

Weights:

Aeronaut in 1050d: 3 lb 0 oz / 1360 grams
    Aeronaut in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon: 2 lb 6 oz / 1075 grams

Bottom line: the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon Aeronaut saves 10 oz / 285 grams in weight.

Tri-Star in 1050d: 3 lb 6 oz / 1550 grams
    Tri-Star in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon: 2 lb 12 oz / 1230 grams

Bottom line: the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon Tri-Star saves 10 oz / 285 grams in weight.

Perspective: 10 oz / 285 grams = the weight of a down jacket in a Travel Stuff Sack, a light waterproof shell jacket, or an Icebreaker hooded sweater.

Read more on the blog.

Note: when we set out to weigh the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon Aeronaut and compare it with the weight of the 1050d ballistic nylon Aeronaut, we noticed that the weight of the latter was slightly off because, over the years, as Tom added features/design updates to the bag, such as the removable tie-down straps, we didn't re-weigh the bag and update the weight on the product page. We're very sorry if this caused anyone any inconvenience.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I like that shade of blue.

Thanks for posting the description of Dyneema too; I always wondered if the white "grid" was functional or decorative, and now I know.
    Darcy likes this.
    Ted

SuperEgo in black/steel/wasabi; Aeronaut in cardinal/steel; Horizontal Cache (2M) in charcoal; Travel Tray in Ultraviolet

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The numbers are in: our Aeronaut and Tri-Star travel bags in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon are 20% lighter than the same bags made out of our U.S. 1050d high tenacity ballistic nylon.

Weights:

Aeronaut in 1050d: 3 lb 0 oz / 1360 grams
    Aeronaut in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon: 2 lb 6 oz / 1075 grams

Bottom line: the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon Aeronaut saves 10 oz / 285 grams in weight.

Tri-Star in 1050d: 3 lb 6 oz / 1550 grams
    Tri-Star in 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon: 2 lb 12 oz / 1230 grams

Bottom line: the 400d DyneemaŽ/420d nylon Tri-Star saves 10 oz / 285 grams in weight.

Perspective: 10 oz / 285 grams = the weight of a down jacket in a Travel Stuff Sack, a light waterproof shell jacket, or an Icebreaker hooded sweater.

Read more on the blog.

Another way to put this is that if you're flying on a European airline like Lufthansa or SAS that has an 8 kg weight limit for carry-on luggage, or an Asian airline like ANA where the weight limit is 7 kg, getting the weight of your bag down to just a hair over 1 kg (e.g., 400d Dyneema Aeronaut) can make a big difference. I think it's just a question of understanding the trade-offs. These may not replace your Tri-Star, Aeronaut, or Western Flyer in Ballistic nylon, but for some folks this provides an important option. See, also, this USA Today article on carry-on luggage weight limits.

moriond
    Darcy and backpack like this.

Have there been any sightings of Nordic in the wild yet? Surely a few Swifts have already left the factory. Have any of them arrived at their new homes?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    This makes perfect sense. While I don't dislike Cordura, it's my least favorite of the three fabric types you use. I like the light shine on the ballistic nylon, not to mention its sturdiness. And unlike the Cordura, when my cat decides to make a nest out of a Tom Bihn bag, I don't wind up with a layer of cat fur when the nest is on ballistic nylon. I can't say the same for Cordura.

By de-emphasizing the Cordura fabric you're basically offering a really sturdy version or an ultralight version, many in the same bag style. It's a great idea.
    That's exactly right.

OK so now that you have a sturdier Dyneema, I'd love to see it used for these:

- 3D Clear Organizer Cube
    - Side Effect (PLEASE!)
    - Kit
    We're going to make samples of each -- how those samples turn out will determine if we make those bags in the 400d or not.

... and finally, a "3D Organizer Cube" that's completely opaque, with no clear panels. Pretty please! (because you know I'll be able to use it to stash personal things I don't want to advertise with clear side panels, and because the baby D-rings on the side means I'll be able to carry this as a tiny cross-body purse! Squeee!).
    Same answer as above. But no time frame on either... sorry!
    Janine likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post
    So a slightly tangental question- Has the steel dyneema always been 400d or will that be for the future offerings?
    (the blog seemed to indicate that the 400d is a new heavier option, is that correct?)
    Steel Dyneema/nylon, until now, had always been 200d/200d. 400d/420d is for the future offerings. So, the Co-Pilot and Synapse, when they were available in "Steel Dyneema/nylon", were made out of 200d/200d Dyneema/nylon. From now on, they'll be made out of the 400d/420d.

That is correct: 400d is a new, more durable weight of Dyneema/nylon.

Steel Dyneema/nylon, until now, had always been 200d/200d. 400d/420d is for the future offerings. So, the Co-Pilot and Synapse, when they were available in "Steel Dyneema/nylon", were made out of 200d/200d Dyneema/nylon. From now on, they'll be made out of the 400d/420d.

That is correct: 400d is a new, more durable weight of Dyneema/nylon.
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification. Now the only question is whether to keep my steel synapse on back order or switch to the Nordic ... Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    How water-resistant/waterproof is the Dyneema, compared to ballistic and Cordura?

I was considering getting a Smart Alec for a trip to the UK next year but that Nordic WF is very, very tempting, as is the Aeronaut, though I think the Aeronaut might be too big for my purposes--though at approximately two pounds, it might not make a difference. But in the UK, water-resistance is certainly a pertinent question! And it's one of the many things I love about Tom Bihn bags.
    I'd also like some info on this, if possible. Although I love the idea of a lighter bag, I'm not sure I'd be willing to give up both water resistance and durability. And I know I could add stuff on, but I'd like to know how it comes straight from Tom and the crew =).

Darcy, you just made my day! I'm so glad you guys are going to try out Lani's suggestions!

I've been pondering getting a Synapse for a while -- this new color scheme may just have decided what my Christmas present is!

Having just checked a ballistic nylon Aeronaut, I do have to admit I'd be EXTREMELY reluctant to check a dyneema Aeronaut with an airline.... Nevertheless, for carry-on-only situations... the lesser weight makes me drool.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    But I want to hear more, from you and from all the Synapse lovers out there!

I really like my Synapse, but I want to adore it. The pockets in the Synapse are fantastic if you are just carrying this bag, but they can work against a bag-in-bag packer like me. I'm used to having a larger backpack that I can toss a purse into, and its extra size just swallows the bulky purse up and doesn't bat an eye. With the Synapse, I'm using up vital real estate for the purse that otherwise would have been used for important stuff...like, well, snacks.

I think what would be the Ultimate Fantastic Awesome Solution would be a smaller Dyneema bag, along the lines of a Side Effect but without the added bulk of the waist straps (and here I go again, sorry) or maybe a mini Packing Cube Shoulder Bag or Unclear Quarter Packing Cube. Then I would have a squishable purse-like object that's not taking up too much space on its own, but that would satisfy this need I have to keep a small bag with my wallet and phone in it, one that I could clip a 16" key strap to for an over-the-arm purse, or a long strap to for crossbody carry. Argh!

Maybe I just need to give myself permission to let go of the whole PLO idea. I can hear Obi-Wan Kenobi whispering in my ear, Use the Organizer Pouches, Janine. Just pack the Synapse like a huge purse. I don't know....

Halp!
    Janine- I would LOVE to rave about my Synapse love affair to you I will do a separate thread, complete with pics (never have posted any yet- is it hard?!)...however, in a nutshell, is my Synapse a PLO? Well yes but mostly no In the right hand front pocket I put my pens and mini notepads. Left hand pocket I put my wallet. I used to put my phone here in the ultrasuede pocket, but I got a new phone last week and it doesn't quite fit so now I put my phone in the small top zippered pocket. I put a waterbottle in the water bottle pocket (I love this cuz I"m the type of gal who brings a water bottle EVERYWHERE). Recently, I have begun putting an empty Side Effect in the bottom zipped pocket. For those "quickie quick" errands, I put my wallet and phone in the Side Effect and leave the Synapse in my vehicle. It should be noted, however, that I live in the proverbial small Midwestern town and so if I need diapers, whatever, running out to the vehicle is easy. In the main compartment of the Synapse I put my diaper caddy CQPC. It easily handles all of the baby and toddler stuff. I also always have a "basic first aid kit"- a small OP with bandaids, infant, children, and adult motrin, and benedryl. I have a clear pen and pencil OP that is my makeup kit. Ummm, oh, my MP3 player and gym fob in a leather zip pouch (non TB). I THINK those are my basics (doing this from memory!). But, this is what I love about the Synapse...I can carry just what I"ve listed above and it's not floppy or weird looking. But I can also add- and usually do- a giant calendar, school papers or doctor/dentist forms , ARC notebooks, sometimes my netbook, a blanket for the baby, a thermos of tea, or whatever else my husband and eight kids throw my way. And I can fit a ton of stuff in the Synapse and it doesn't look weird.

I should add that it's my first backpack ever, ever in my life. So some of my feelings are likely the blush of first (backpack) love!

Also, it was my first TB product. And it was the first time ever, ever that my bag expectations (cuz like many of us I was on the quest for the perfect bag) were waaaay surpassed at seeing and using the actual product as opposed to being a little let down.

Is it perfect? Of course not. I don't usually bring it to church, for example. And I admittedly like to mix things up, so I rotate my EDC between it, the LCB, the Swift, and the Co Pilot. But I do love it so. And I would buy one in every color combo if I could

I WILL post a thread with photos, cuz I know how helpful photos are....but I wanted to respond quickly to your plea for assistance, Janine

We're going to make samples of each -- how those samples turn out will determine if we make those bags in the 400d or not.
    If you need somebody to help you test out that dyneema Side Effect, you just let me know!!! I would gladly "volunteer" my services.

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    If you need somebody to help you test out that dyneema Side Effect, you just let me know!!! I would gladly "volunteer" my services.
    Darcy, can I be next in line for product testing? PLEEEEAAAASSSE????

Hey, @Tlacltme! Thank you for that awesome post!

Your first backpack ever? WOW. I've had backpacks ever since I was a little kid. I can't imagine NOT having a backpack. In fact, I already bought backpacks for my kids and they are only 18 months old. I've got to hand it to you for starting at the top, LOL. :-)

I want to do the same thing with a Side Effect (or similar - hopefully some of Lani's requests will turn into new products). I carry many of the same items that you do, but it's a Kindle or iPad rather than a netbook. I also carry snacks (because an hour without a banana is a bad, bad hour for my kids) and sippy cups. I have jokingly suggested a Citizen Canine on either hip to use as sippy cup holsters, but I'm really only halfway joking.

My diaper caddy is a Snake Charmer (I'm now on v4, which has a small wet bag and tube of Aquaphor added to the wipes, diapers, and pencil pouch with first aid kit). It fits perfectly along the bottom of the Synapse, effectively raising the floor of the bag a few inches and giving me easier access to the stuff I put on top. I have to keep errands with kids under 2 hours to match their attention span, so I can change them right before we go, cross my fingers for no epic poopstorms in the grocery, and then change them again when we get home. Thus, having the Diaper Charmer on the bottom of my Synapse is just fine.

I look forward to seeing your pictures. It's not hard at all to upload them to the forum. Just click on the "Insert Image" icon, 3rd from the right on the post toolbar, and follow the directions. Easy peasy! If you can wrangle 8 kids, you can wrangle this! :-D

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast