Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We'll continue to use both Cordura and our 1050d U.S. high tenacity ballistic nylon, but in the long run, maybe more ballistic and Dyneema/nylon and less Cordura.
    This makes perfect sense. While I don't dislike Cordura, it's my least favorite of the three fabric types you use. I like the light shine on the ballistic nylon, not to mention its sturdiness. And unlike the Cordura, when my cat decides to make a nest out of a Tom Bihn bag, I don't wind up with a layer of cat fur when the nest is on ballistic nylon. I can't say the same for Cordura.

By de-emphasizing the Cordura fabric you're basically offering a really sturdy version or an ultralight version, many in the same bag style. It's a great idea.

OK so now that you have a sturdier Dyneema, I'd love to see it used for these:

- 3D Clear Organizer Cube
    - Side Effect (PLEASE!)
    - Kit

... and finally, a "3D Organizer Cube" that's completely opaque, with no clear panels. Pretty please! (because you know I'll be able to use it to stash personal things I don't want to advertise with clear side panels, and because the baby D-rings on the side means I'll be able to carry this as a tiny cross-body purse! Squeee!).
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    How water-resistant/waterproof is the Dyneema, compared to ballistic and Cordura?

I was considering getting a Smart Alec for a trip to the UK next year but that Nordic WF is very, very tempting, as is the Aeronaut, though I think the Aeronaut might be too big for my purposes--though at approximately two pounds, it might not make a difference. But in the UK, water-resistance is certainly a pertinent question! And it's one of the many things I love about Tom Bihn bags.
    If the new Dyneema isn't water-resistant enough, you might be able to spray Scotchguard or other types of repellant sprays on it?

That Nordic Western Flyer is soooooooo purty. If you were thinking about going with a Smart Alec, the WF holds the same capacity so you should totally consider it!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    If the new Dyneema isn't water-resistant enough, you might be able to spray Scotchguard or other types of repellant sprays on it?

That Nordic Western Flyer is soooooooo purty. If you were thinking about going with a Smart Alec, the WF holds the same capacity so you should totally consider it!
    I already have Nikwax. No idea if it will work on Dyneema, though.

I normally go for the bags that are a big hole I can compartmentalize with packing cubes and such, but the Dyneema is tempting me to change my style in a couple of ways. :-)

I have been thinking yet more and realized that the Tri-Star might work pretty well for my trip, too...it will be larger than I need, but in a good way. The middle section would be mostly empty--and I could even squeeze my Synapse in there to use as a day bag for country walks, several of which are planned for the trip. I need to ponder this further. I'm just so paranoid that if I don't pre-order right away I will lose my chance. Of course, the trip isn't for a year, so I have some time. :-)
    backpack and Lani like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    - Side Effect (PLEASE!)

<snip>

... and finally, a "3D Organizer Cube" that's completely opaque, with no clear panels. Pretty please! (because you know I'll be able to use it to stash personal things I don't want to advertise with clear side panels, and because the baby D-rings on the side means I'll be able to carry this as a tiny cross-body purse! Squeee!).
    YES YES a thousand times YES! Please oh please oh please!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm just so paranoid that if I don't pre-order right away I will lose my chance.
    MaggieScratch, you are speaking from my heart. I tossed and turned last night, agonizing about this. I opted to pre-order the Synapse and Co-Pilot but not to order the Swift. I am already kicking myself over the Swift, even though I know I won't use it nearly as much as I would use the other two.

I brought my Synapse to work today (it's a 1.8 mile walk) just to remind myself that it is spacious and comfortable. Lately I've been using another backpack because I talked myself into believing I needed more carrying capacity. I know I don't but I feel I do. Sigh.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darcy,

Can one of the knitters at the store try and poke a size 1 or 2 metal or acrylic needle through the 400 weight? My yarn and stuff sacks have a few holes in them from my needles so I'm curious if the new heavier weight will prevent this.

Thanks

Wow! Gone for 24 hours and come back to a new dyneema! Love that Nordic blue! Very happy for Lani and Janine and the rest of the Dyneema Diehards

That being said, my crew is extremely hard on things (everything!) so I dare not purchase the new dyneema (though that Nordic Synapse is very, very tempting....then again if I could, I would probably buy a Synapse in every color combo )!

Plus, I'm saving my pennies for a Navy/Wasabi or Iberian WF with backpack straps and a black/black/wasabi SA. The second those are available, I'm snatching them up!! I'm with MtnMan on the ballistic material- LOVE the Navy...and the Black...and the Cardinal I love the sheen to them and I love how tough they are. And paired with a colorful dyneema interior- perfecto!

And let me put some love out for Cordura...I don't have any pets (unless you count my five sons- hahaha) so animal hair isn't an issue for me. I love the flexibility of the Cordura- especially in the Cafe Bags and the Synapses (I know, I know, enough about my Synapse love affair) and I love the wide range of Cordura colors- from linen to Navy to turquoise to azalea, etc.

Once again, hats off to the TB crew, though, for listening to their fan base-I mean, customers, and also for bringing something unique and useful to the table! You guys are tireless ROCK STARS (that's middle school speak)!

... I need to ponder this further. I'm just so paranoid that if I don't pre-order right away I will lose my chance. Of course, the trip isn't for a year, so I have some time. :-)
    I completely get this. It does seem that if you don't act immediately on color combos you like, they change or are gone I sometimes wish there was a standard minimum amount of time that a certain color combo would be offered...but then, I grew up in a small business myself, so I understand where the TB Crew is coming from.

Oh. Damn. Damn damn damn. Blue dyneema. Must. Purchase. Because it is is -beautiful-.

The Nordic is making me Suddenly COVETOUS.

I may have to buy it. As soon as possible. Suddenly I need a new bag.

This is exciting! Although, i have to admit that I'm more excited that there's blue dyneema than I am about the heavier weight.

I have to make it a habit of missing a day in the forum, every time I do that something new comes up!

Needless to say, this is one of the most awsome news!

My list of "want that bag in that soooooooooo lovely color" keeps growing, I am the only one right?

I am in real love with my UV Synapse and I also was thinking how awsome it would be to have one in blue.

Since Issac unwelcomed visit, I also have used Dyneema Packing Cube Backpacks to permanetly pack emergency essentials, including clothes.

There is also the pesky European airlines habit of weighting bags, which is a huge problem for someone who is not petite and wears cotton or microfiber.

After going back and forth from Lani to Frank II websites, I secretly wished for a complete Dyneema traveling set, and lo and behold, thank you Tom and Crew!

To my knowledge nothing but the lovely faces of the wonderful people of Tom Bihn, including the handsome creator himself, has been implanted in my thought process.

I'll let you know the day I find out I can double as an alarm clock. Which reminds me, time to snozze.

Dreamy items for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    ...I have to make it a habit of missing a day in the forum, every time I do that something new comes up!
    Hi, Backpack!

Please be sure to tell us when is the next time you will miss a day in the forum? ...just so I can come prepared to purchase more...

By the way, I see by the number of posts you have made that you are fully afflicted!!!

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

This is very interesting.
    I don't think I'd order the new heavy weight dyneema IN PREFERENCE TO the ballistic nylon for a travel bag such as the Aeronaut or Western Flyer, because I don't travel light anyway and the weight issues I have are caused by my stuff rather than the bag itself. I prefer the sturdier ballistic nylon and the plain color over the patterning of the dyneema.
    However I would be curious to see something like the Synapse or smaller items in the new fabric, particularly if it made them less 'floppy' and they held their shape better than the lighter-weight dyneema.
    Beth

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast