Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Introducing 400d Dyneema/nylon in Nordic and Steel

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    P.S. I'm waiting for Lani's reaction. Just as the first thougt after the Aubergine announcement was to look for dorayme's reaction, I'm waiting to read Lani's response. Oh, and by the way, will there be a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Nordic Dyneema?
    I finally got up from fainting. Hi. ^_^

(Still hyperventilating)
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    You found it in record-breaking time!
    Woo Hoo! My claim to fame!

Saw the color swatch and then pictures popping up on the website and realized that it hadn't been announced yet. I must admit that I've been haunting the site helping my daughter decide on just the right bag to use as a diaper bag. Of course now I'll have to get something in that beautiful 400d dyneema myself!

Looks like a Dyneema Synapse is coming our way. The Nordic Blue looks way cool!

I love it!! I must admit, I am sad to see that the diamond pattern will be going away in the 400d dyneema... I think that is part of what makes the dyneema so cool. But, I love the new color and I love that more bags will be available in dyneema!
    Darcy likes this.

OH
    MY
    GOOGLE
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    I must be a freak of nature... bright stripey luggage just does not appeal to me... give me black or other dark colors that don't show dirt or wear, maybe with edging or accents of other dark colors (eg dark purple) and I'm happy.

- Tim
    Tim, you might want to take a look at the Dyneema–Our Secret Weapon? thread. I've linked you to the second page, which puts you in the middle of other reactions to using Dyneema for (the outside of) bags. However, you should scroll back to the first page, too (and look at the picture). We could always put Lani to work with her Sharpie. (And Ed probably recognizes the "sticking out the tongue" emoticon as coming from the Candlepower forums.)

I thought Darcy did a very good job with the explanations in the blog post about Dyneema.

moriond

Is it possible to get samples of this fabric?

And count me in the rejoicing-for-more-Dyneema-bags crowd!
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

A few things I wanted to bring up in response to this new Dyneema announcement:

1: Does this mean that Tom Bihn is moving away from using ballistic nylon and/or cordura for exterior fabrics of its luggage? Will these other fabrics still be offered?

2: Why is this Dyneema fabric only sourced from Japan? I have nothing against it, but aren't there American manufacturers of such fabrics?

(BTW, the word "stellar" was misseplled in the official Synapse write-up earlier in this thread.)

If you ask me, nothing beats a navy-blue ballistic nylon Aeronaut and bright-yellow dyneema interior lining. I wish that would make a comeback at Tom Bihn.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GGGGGGGGGGGGGGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Quick!!! Lani hyperventilated and fainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Janine texted me while I was out shopping with a friend and I started hyperventilating too in the middle of Target! My friend was laughing at my condition/obsession, but seriously, I love this announcement both the gorgeous color, and the travel bags in Dyneema. I can't say which is more exciting to me!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I am really excited. Plans were to get the Western Flyer when funds would allow, but this is the first time I'm glad it's taking me so long to save up! Steel dyneema FTW!
    backpack and Lani like this.
    The opinions expressed do, in fact, represent the opinions of the government--its Congress, Supreme Court, and President--as well as the United Nations and its representatives; because, let's face it, I have that kind of power at my disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Tim, you might want to take a look at the Dyneema–Our Secret Weapon? thread. I've linked you to the second page, which puts you in the middle of other reactions to using Dyneema for (the outside of) bags. However, you should scroll back to the first page, too (and look at the picture). We could always put Lani to work with her Sharpie. (And Ed probably recognizes the "sticking out the tongue" emoticon as coming from the Candlepower forums.)

I thought Darcy did a very good job with the explanations in the blog post about Dyneema.

moriond
    Thanks moriond, I'll take a deeper look at that.

Exclamation

Uh-oh!

<* spontaneously reaches for credit card *>

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond
    P.S. I'm waiting for Lani's reaction. Just as the first thougt after the Aubergine announcement was to look for dorayme's reaction, I'm waiting to read Lani's response. Oh, and by the way, will there be a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Nordic Dyneema?
    Lani's reaction made our night. Everyone else, too: we're glad you like the new Dyneema. It was a long time coming.

No plans for a Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in Nordic Dyneema. The 400d Dyneema/nylon will likely be saved for bigger/main bags such as the Aeronaut and Tri-Star. But who knows what you'll see in 2013.. Tom's working on several things that could utilize the 400d fabric in new ways.

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais
    Is it possible to get samples of this fabric?
    We'd be glad to send you a swatch. Email us: customerservice@tombihn.com

Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    A few things I wanted to bring up in response to this new Dyneema announcement:

1: Does this mean that Tom Bihn is moving away from using ballistic nylon and/or cordura for exterior fabrics of its luggage? Will these other fabrics still be offered?
    Good questions, MtnMan. We'll continue to use both Cordura and our 1050d U.S. high tenacity ballistic nylon, but in the long run, maybe more ballistic and Dyneema/nylon and less Cordura.

2: Why is this Dyneema fabric only sourced from Japan? I have nothing against it, but aren't there American manufacturers of such fabrics?
    Surprising but true: fabric finishing plants in the US have never mastered the coating (and heat-setting) of Dyneema/nylon blend fabrics. It's very tricky and the Japanese mill seems to have gotten it down.

(BTW, the word "stellar" was misseplled in the official Synapse write-up earlier in this thread.)
    Thanks, I fixed that on the Synapse page. In a world of Steller Jay's and and Steller sea lions, I guess that's where my mind goes first.

If you ask me, nothing beats a navy-blue ballistic nylon Aeronaut and bright-yellow dyneema interior lining. I wish that would make a comeback at Tom Bihn.
    Noted. I also loved Navy/Solar, but Navy/Wasabi is pretty great too.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

So a slightly tangental question- Has the steel dyneema always been 400d or will that be for the future offerings?
    (the blog seemed to indicate that the 400d is a new heavier option, is that correct?)

How water-resistant/waterproof is the Dyneema, compared to ballistic and Cordura?

I was considering getting a Smart Alec for a trip to the UK next year but that Nordic WF is very, very tempting, as is the Aeronaut, though I think the Aeronaut might be too big for my purposes--though at approximately two pounds, it might not make a difference. But in the UK, water-resistance is certainly a pertinent question! And it's one of the many things I love about Tom Bihn bags.
    Lani and henryjin like this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast