Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Introducing Aubergine 1050d U.S. ballistic nylon

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    I hope that a Cadet in that color is in the works.
    OH
    MY
    GOOGLE

Please oh please oh please oh please!
    dorayme likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Thank you! And WOW!

I wonder if that original LUX is still in use.

Grape was a great color! It's a shame that it was retired, but if the manufacturer had quality issues, it was probably for the best.
    Well, my original LUX from the same time is still in regular use, but it's Crimson, to go with a number of earlier purchases. I know you love Indigo, but the impact of the introduction of that new color for Ballistic Nylon was even bigger for customers who had been asking for other color options over the many previous years. All the Ballistic Nylon dye lots have to be custom created, and it was simply too difficult to get these up to quality production standards when produced in bulk. We only had access to Kiwi, Grape, and Sage originally because Tom was able to share in an existing production order from another Manufacturer.

A favorite traveling combination for me used to be my Crimson Aeronaut, packed with the empty LUX bag on top, which just covers the opening and also keeps the contents neatly arranged. Then, when I arrived at my destination, I'd pull out the LUX to use as a handy multi-purpose tote.

Janine, none of my Tom Bihn bags wear out, so one of the issues with buying new Swifts is that I still use my original LUX. And I know someone who has the LUX in grape, and yes, it's still in use.

moriond

When I have my hands on this lovely Aubergine, I will try to do a comparison of the old version of Plum with it.
    dorayme likes this.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    For those of you waffling about getting your sample Aubergine products, the Clear Organizer wallet in Aubergine is apparently already in stock. I just got off the phone to inquire about closing out an order I'd placed in July. (Everything but the Wasabi shop bags had shipped out, but I asked them to hold these so I could add any new products from the tantalizing new offerings.) Price is the same as the other clear organizer wallet in (cardinal) ballistic nylon.

moriond
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Janine, none of my Tom Bihn bags wear out, so one of the issues with buying new Swifts is that I still use my original LUX. And I know someone who has the LUX in grape, and yes, it's still in use.

moriond
    At one of the Vera Bradley events I attended, we played a fun game: the person who brought the oldest Vera Bradley bag won a prize. I was the winner, but only because I happened to bring a very old bag that I got from eBay. The woman with the second-oldest bag would have won if the contest was for the oldest bag that you purchased new. She'd been a fan for much longer than I had.

I wonder who would win that contest here. Who do you think has the oldest Tom Bihn item? Bonus points if the item is in active use.

I'm curious now about bags wearing out. Has that happened to any of us? My bags are all in fine shape. This might become a problem after many years of collecting.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I haven't had time to take pictures, but the Aubergine looks like a shiny version of the old, beautiful Plum!
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    I haven't had time to take pictures, but the Aubergine looks like a shiny version of the old, beautiful Plum!
    The oldest plum that I have, which is from the introduction of the original Buzz for the 12" PowerBooks and iBooks back in 2004, is bluer than the more recent plums, which are in turn bluer than Aubergine. That shade of plum for the original Buzz is my favorite shade of plum. The reddest version of plum I have is in the original Ristretto in Plum/Wasabi Cordura. As you can see from the attached photo in my earlier post, Aubergine is redder than that.

moriond

Shame it's not Cordura. A purple Brain Bag would have been nice.

This is nowhere near the comprehensive pictures that moriond posted, but here's a bit of pink and purple goodness:

Name:  P1040773.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  589.7 KB
    The Kit in Aubergine

Name:  P1040774.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  688.5 KB
    In back: Azalea Swift, Plum/Black Swift
    In front: Plum Field Journal, Aubergine Kit, UV Tall Yarn Stuff Sack

Name:  P1040777.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  839.7 KB
    Azalea Swift, Aubergine Kit, Plum/Black Swift
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

I think this helps tremendously, especially the closeups! Thanks a lot!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

This is very helpful. VERY. Now, where's the Aubergine/Wasabi Synapse, so I can order it?

Aubergine seems to be a Ballistic version of UV, or am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by lacyfinn View Post
    This is very helpful. VERY. Now, where's the Aubergine/Wasabi Synapse, so I can order it?
    The Synapses are made of Codura and Aubergine is a Ballistic color, so I'm I don't think we'll see it for the Synapses

Quote Originally Posted by jmachats View Post
    The Synapses are made of Codura and Aubergine is a Ballistic color, so I'm I don't think we'll see it for the Synapses
    Aw, poop. :-(

I would love a Citizen Canine in Aubergine by Christmas.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast