Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Thread: Introducing Aubergine 1050d U.S. ballistic nylon

Quote Originally Posted by 123veo View Post
    Aubergine is one of the ballistic nylon colours. Sadly (for some of us), the Synapse is made of cordura (so therefore not available in aubergine). Unless, of course, the folks at TB plan on a special edition ballistic aubergine Synapse.... you know, something like that special Swift.
    This is something that confuses me. Are there rules for which bags are made with which fabrics?

*fingers crossed* for the Special Swift, even if there are rules against it. :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Suddenly WINNING!
    And Suddenly GLOATING, too! :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

We all thought of Plum-loving dorayme first, didn't we? :-) But that photo of the Aubergine Aeronaut is stunning, and makes me wish I could trade in my Navy/Solar Aeronaut. Not that I don't love the Navy/Solar combination, but NOTHING can compete with this Aubergine!

Badger, you and Janine are too much fun! Keep it coming!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Been away due to computer hiccups, so I am oh so late to the Aubergine party! I did get the blog e-mail news and as soon as I saw the colour, thought of Dorayme straight away! So even when I've been out of sight, all of you on the TB Forum have not been out of mind!

Cheers!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Has anyone seen how the aubrgine looks next to plum. Like Dorayme, I have a bit of the plum color around.

Take care,
    Moose
    Aubergine looks great with colors like Navy and Steel in Ballistic Nylon, and also looks fantastic with neutral fabrics like the hemp of my Little Swift. It's nice with the bright greens of Wasabi and Kiwi (in Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon). I find it a bit too red to match exactly with my plum cordura, although there's a redder version of plum from my older Cordura Ristretto that goes better.

I'll load up some pictures (but remember, I'm not good at these photographs)

The Kit in Aubergine, against a Navy Western Flyer, medium size UV organizer pouch, and Azalea Small Cafe Bag.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348173949.772406.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  90.8 KB

Aubergine Kit , Wasabi Travel Stuff Sack, Steel Co-Pilot, Storm 3-D Organizer Cube, Little Swift in Hemp, and Indigo Kit.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348174236.200427.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  110.3 KB

Kits in Indigo, Aubergine, and Grape (an old color from a decade ago) on the left. On the right the Field Journal and Side Effect, both in plum Cordura, with medium UV Dyneema Organizer Pouch. The Side Effect is probably the best representative of the current plum color, since it's a recent purchase. Note that Aubergine appears redder.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348174546.064998.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  103.5 KB

Just for mischief's sake: this is the combination of the old Sapphire and the new Wasabi Dyneema. Wouldn't this make a cool combination for the Synapse?
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348174797.865679.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  141.6 KB

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Kits in Indigo, Aubergine, and Grape (an old color from a decade ago) on the left. On the right the Field Journal and Side Effect, both in plum Cordura, with medium UV Dyneema Organizer Pouch. The Side Effect is probably the best representative of the current plum color, since it's a recent purchase. Note that Aubergine appears redder.

<snip>

Just for mischief's sake: this is the combination of the old Sapphire and the new Wasabi Dyneema. Wouldn't this make a cool combination for the Synapse?

moriond
    If that last picture doesn't inspire Tom to order another round of Sapphire, then nothing will. WOW.

And thanks for giving me another retired color to obsess about: Grape! :-)
    jaon and helen_uk like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    One more picture from my iPhone: this is the Aubergine Kit with the reddest plum bag I have: the original Cordura Ristretto in Plum/Wasabi. This looks better together than the photo shows because the reflective nature of the ballistic nylon is altering the apparent color. I've turned up the flap so you can see the Wasabi lining, and there's a clear organizer wallet with the Wasabi Dyneema side turned up. Top right is the Cocoa ultra suede Kindle pouch. The Aubergine is not bad with cocoa browns, because of its reddish hues, but is much better with steel, or any color with gray tones. That includes Sage Ballistic Nylon (a color from a decade ago that is like steel with gray-green overtones). Sorry that my iPhone doesn't do these colors justice!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348177225.312459.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  84.6 KB

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanA View Post
    I, too, would like an Aubergine Swift without the logo. Perhaps since the Knitty Swift is a limited edition, after it is sold out a plain version will be produced? Please?
    Requests noted! Stay tuned for more news on this in the next few weeks.
    Darcy,

I like both the color scheme of the Knitty Swift (with Aubergine/Steel Dyneema) and the notion of an all Aubergine Swift with Wasabi interior (although all three colors: Wasabi, Steel, and Aubergine, look great together, as does this combination with Hemp, I know the Little Swift is already available for pre-order with all Aubergine and Steel Dyneema interior, but the Aubergine and Wasabi is such a great combination, and it would be great to have this option, too. I really like to have the bright colors in the interior of bags.

moriond

Moriond, thank you so much for the great pictures!

Aubergine is a wonderful professional color and is really a great addition to the French First Empire inspired colors in Tom Bihn Inc's Ballistic rainbow.

I have been inspired by Dorayme's use of her, I think, Western Flyer in her movable vacation home as an handy clothes taming device.

That might allow me to get another or more Aeronaute.

I hope that a Cadet in that color is in the works. It would match my Plum FJN and Large Cafe Bag and would help them going from housewife to advocate work.

The fall weather, back to school and pets in need are always bringing the fiery side of your truly.

This color was also a favorite of a family member who passed last year.

Somehow, Tom and the Lovely Crew manage to make lovely healing colors and objects at just the right time.

Now, where is that Grand Opening happening? So I can give many hugs and thanks to the Lovely Crew and Tom.

Many Thanks to Darcy for the lovely pictures!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    And thanks for giving me another retired color to obsess about: Grape! :-)
    Janine, Grape was one of the original color offerings of the Aeronaut (along with Kiwi and Sage, all colors that sold out in the pre-orders for that bag). It was also one of the colors of the Lux bag in the original Knitty Competition. Here's a link to an old 2006 blog post for the Smart Alec. The Dyneema colors in that post (including grape) were the available colors for the original Aeronaut preorder release a couple of months later. Here's the link to the Knitty blog post on the first LUX. You'll see that the winner chose the bag, which is the predecessor to the Swift, in Grape. I recall that at the time there were larger versions of the pictures at some site, but I can't find any working links now. There were also more recent options like the ID Bag, which were still available for sale over a year after Grape Ballistic nylon went away in 2007, according to this blog post.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    We all thought of Plum-loving dorayme first, didn't we? :-) But that photo of the Aubergine Aeronaut is stunning, and makes me wish I could trade in my Navy/Solar Aeronaut. Not that I don't love the Navy/Solar combination, but NOTHING can compete with this Aubergine!
    nbc4 -- If you are able to part with your Navy/Solar Aeronaut, one option is to sell yours on eBay and use the money to buy an Aubergine Aeronaut. I purchased a Navy/Solar Western Flyer because I loved the color combination, and I wanted to cling to as many Solar Dyneema products as I could, but now that they're releasing an Aubergine WF, I'm really torn, and I might wind up doing the same thing (it helps that I haven't even removed the label off of the WF yet).

However, there's no Aubergine/Wasabi WF--for that combo, I need to upsize to a Tri-Star. I'm REALLY torn about that. But it's such an amazing color combo, I might just have to take the plunge!
    ncb4 likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Moriond thank you for the photos!! Aubergine is a really great addition to the line up.
    Take care
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Moriond, the comparison photos of all the different shades of purple that TB has used over the years are fabulous: thank you so much. Of course, I ordered an Aubergine Kit before seeing your photos, because I just had to have an example of it in my hands! Patience, at least when it comes to TB bags, is not my strong suit. I'm hoping once I see the Kit that it will help me decide whether I should take Lani's excellent suggestion about maybe selling my Navy/Solar Aeronaut on eBay to raise funds for the cost of the Aubergine Aeronaut. And the idea of a Little Swift in Aubergine is tempting me, too.....

~Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Janine, Grape was one of the original color offerings of the Aeronaut (along with Kiwi and Sage, all colors that sold out in the pre-orders for that bag). It was also one of the colors of the Lux bag in the original Knitty Competition. Here's a link to an old 2006 blog post for the Smart Alec. The Dyneema colors in that post (including grape) were the available colors for the original Aeronaut preorder release a couple of months later. Here's the link to the Knitty blog post on the first LUX. You'll see that the winner chose the bag, which is the predecessor to the Swift, in Grape. I recall that at the time there were larger versions of the pictures at some site, but I can't find any working links now. There were also more recent options like the ID Bag, which were still available for sale over a year after Grape Ballistic nylon went away in 2007, according to this blog post.

moriond
    Thank you! And WOW!

I wonder if that original LUX is still in use.

Grape was a great color! It's a shame that it was retired, but if the manufacturer had quality issues, it was probably for the best.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast