Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: How did you first discover Tom Bihn bags?

Through 1bag1world web site.

I was searching online for the best bags for simplified (one-bag) travel. I found quite a few posts on the FlyerTalk forum and kept seeing the name "Tom Bihn" pop up everywhere. The more I read, the more it seemed like a very cool niche brand that was favored by expert travelers and people who were truly "in the know." I ordered my first bag (a Western Flyer) about two months ago and ever since I have been obsessed I have added two Tristars and a Smart Alec to the collection, as well as a bunch of pouches and accessories.

I recently returned from a 6-day (5-night) trip to Las Vegas and I did the entire trip in a Smart Alec. I plan to write a full review of my packing strategy for the trip (with pictures) and post it to the forum in the next week or so...stay tuned

I was looking for a bag for my new laptop which is hefty in size (17 inch). As might be expected, with the trend towards smaller computer and tablet devices the pickings for large devices wasn't that extensive. So I did my usual extensive research - reading reviews, customer comments, checking out travel websites etc. I stumbled across Tom Bihn and the thing that struck me immediately was that I couldn't find a single negative review. Every piece of feedback was glowing and the customer experience was particularly singled out for praise. There seemed to an extremely passionate, almost cult-like devotion to the company and its products. You don't really see that anymore and it was a stellar introduction.

This is a nice thread and so I'd like to share my love story too It was love at first sight and unrequited still to this very day.

Once upon time, not so very long ago, I was on a neverending search for a convertible carry on that will become witness to my life on the road, on air and on sea. Saying it was difficult to find one was an understatement as I unfortunately do not live in the US. Brands were limited and low quality but at the same time I cannot afford a very expensive one. One of my random searches brought me to the beauty that is the aeronaut on youtube. I knew right there and then it was out of my league. Maybe it still is. So for the last couple of years I've been stalking the TB site just to have a glimpse of tom's works of art. Then the synapse19 was born and I craved for it. Still I resisted. Then last month my new love came along and I was a goner. For a humble thirdworlder, a bag over 100 is just way too much. It's more than a month's rent for most of us. But I think I waited enough for this. I'm just glad I saved on shipping fees as my friend was in Cali. The reason why I haven't emailed cs to send me the missing webbing yet haha.

Anyhoos, thank you Tom for this wonderful backpack. It'll probably last me for a very long time.

P.S. Dear aeronut I don't think you'll ever be with me but I think I love you enough to let you go lol.

My husband and I have been one-bag-carry-on-ers for many years since luggage lost for over a week one year in Europe. We are always looking for ideas to lighten the load. I saw reference to Tom Bihn on onebagone world.com and became hooked from there.
    Monkeylady

I believe I found TB in 2011 whilst looking for a bag with a decent shoulder strap. It was sometime last year that I finally decided to buy the LCB, after consulting the forum and the Facebook page. I had been looking for years and years, after trying dozens of mediocre messengers and backpacks. Having moderate back pain, I needed something that truly helped me with my daily load and that could distribute weight effectively. As many of you now know in this forum, I walk, bike, or take transit everywhere, and I do not own a car to move around on a daily basis. I also frequently carry my work laptop and other electronics with me. The Absolute Shoulder Strap sounded appealing.

Since I am fairly new here, I only possess the LCB and the Synapse 19, so far. Both bags have served their function well, and both have helped ease the back pain.

Needless to say, they are the best bags that I own, which has led me to give away a lot of other bags that just never made the cut.

Fun thread!

My last suitcase broke on my way home from Alaska (while running to make a connection in SeaTac, of course!) so this spring I was in the market for a new bag. Meanwhile, a friend was looking for a new bag for her upcoming trip to Ireland and the UK as well as our trip to the Netherlands. She found the Timbuk2 Wingman, and fell in love. I started looking at it, and I have to say I was impressed. The biggest downside I was seeing so far was that I couldn't get it in purple. Then, when reading the Amazon reviews, I saw the comment, "It's a great alternative to the much pricier Tom Bihn bag.." My reaction to that was, of course, "Hm, what's a Tom Bihn bag?" A quick duckduckgo search later landed me at the page for the Aeronaut, barely believing my eyes at the aubergine/ultraviolet combination! (Where has that combination gone, by the way? I had to settle for wasabi or steel interior on my other bags.) She ended up with the small size Wingman and I ended up with my gorgeous Aeronaut. (And a Western Flyer which replaced my broken bag on my next trip up to Alaska, and a TriStar that I'll be using next month, and, and, and... ) She brought her bag and I brought my Aeronaut for our trip to the Netherlands, which was fun. I was a little jealous of the size of her bag (it's kind of like a shrunken Aeronaut in size and functionality) but I'm very happy with the color and quality of mine.
    It's pronounced "Pan-Jiff-Oh-Knee."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0