Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: How did you first discover Tom Bihn bags?

I was tired of the crappy laptop bags my company gave me. When I replaced my Windows laptop with a MBP, it was time for something a bit better. Searching (Google ftw) kept pointing out this company called Tom Bihn...now I own a EB and wouldn't trade it for any other bag. Nuff said.

ceb
    I was on extended travel away from home and United had just ripped the zippers off my brand new (1st trip) eBags convertible so I spent a couple of hours researching bags. Came upon the Aeronaut, WF and TriStar. Bought the WF but they sent the wrong one so I sent it back and ordered a TS - and an Aeronaut for good measure.

Now I'm debating between a WF and an EB - leaning towards the WF for the water bottle pocket.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Around about 2001, I had just purchased my first laptop. It ran a desktop processor and was an 11 lb. beast. I had the Dell shoulder strap briefcase for it but humping it to work everyday in downtown Seattle was a literal pain so I started a search for a backpack to carry it in. Nothing else out there was sturdy or protective enough. My search led me to a tech gear site that mentioned the Tom Bihn Brain Bag. I looked it up and found exactly what I was looking for. I'm very specific in what I want and was concerned because there were many products that I would discover weren't readily available. On finding the contact info for TB to see if they would ship to me I saw that they were located right there in Seattle! The next day I went to their old store in downtown and joined the TB family. My original BB has been used daily ever since and now protects my fourth generation laptop. Over the years I've collected at least 10 other TB products and am eagerly awaiting my newest addition ... a black Co-Pilot to carry my Surface RT, phone, camera, etc. on my outings through Europe. TB's are the best!
    Last edited by dnarud13; 03-15-2013 at 12:25 PM.

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread. D'uh!

The very first time I was introduced to Tom Bihn was through a friend of mine at a party. It was probably back in the early 2000s? We were talking travel, and the conversation gravitated towards packing (because I'd already been publishing my Travelite FAQ for some time). I was so pleased when my friend told me she espouses the pack-light philosophy and that she has "the best carryon bag"--"The Aeronaut," she tells me. I'd never heard of it, and asked her what it was like. She explained that it was by a company up in Seattle called Tom Bihn, and that their products "never ever fall apart, ever." She raved on and on about it.

A few months later, I had a chance to visit her at her place (the party was at another friend's house), so she pulled the Aeronaut from her closet to show me. She showed me where all the compartments were, showed me how sturdy the zippers were, showed me how the seams are covered on the inside. She tugged and pulled at it, to show how rugged it was. If I recall, she might have even tossed some clothes to show how the Aeronaut would look filled.

I remember touching it, feeling it, and being impressed at not only the workmanship, but also the clever design and smart styling. I was sold!

So... for me, it was completely word of mouth. My friend is a Tom Bihn evangelist and turned me into a total convert. I still have a closetful of carryon bags from other makers but these days the only ones I ever use are from Tom Bihn. Others suggest various brands to me, and they just can't compare.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I can't believe I haven't replied to this thread! I discovered Tom Bihn via the OneBag website. It was probably the mid 2000s, I had been traveling carry-on only for a few years using one of those small rolling suitcases. I had a similar setup to the flight attendants: the small suitcase with a shoulder bag on top. It had served me well for years but I knew I far exceeded the weight limit. Luckily, no one ever checked. But I feared that they would so I started reading about better ways to travel lighter and came across the One Bag website in which the author highly recommended bags without wheels and one of the bags recommended was the Tom Bihn Aeronaut. I was a bit unsure about ordering a bag without being able to see it personally so it took me a while of hanging out on the Tom Bihn site before I ordered my first Cafe Bag. I LOVED it and eventually went on to order many other bags, including the Aeronaut. I have also been trying to improve in terms of my packing list. I still pack way too many clothes in my carry-on. But I'm getting there and Tom Bihn makes it possible!
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

I came across them at EDC Forums, where I go by KDOG08 and have been a member for years now. That place has cost me more money lol.... Anyhow, Darcy ( I believe ) came on the forums creating a "We're Tom Bihn" thread and thats what got my attention. Shortly afterward I ordered a Packing Cube Backpack which I love and which is frequently commandeered by other family members. Then I got a Synapse and realized just how good their stuff was.... I put that on the chopping block so I can get their new larger Synapse when it comes out.

In the early-ish 90s in Santa Cruz. Tom had a shop on Locust that I kept walking by (it was across the street from where I parked when I'd go to downtown SC) complete with bags hanging on the walls. I finally walked in and looked and ended up ordering an all black small cafe bag. I picked up the freshly sewn bag a few days later. Still have it. Also still have the one my husband decided he wanted after seeing mine. His was / is in green. Handy and obviously very sturdy.

(I remember seeing the sewing machine in the shop that he mentions in the newsletter. It was so intimidating! I love to sew but was only used to a home sewing machine. That industrial machine made me glad he was doing the sewing.)

I now have far more TB bags than a couple of small cafe bags. Uh, far far more.

I used to work on 5th and Madison in downtown Seattle back in the late 90's (?) and one day happened upon this cool little store in Pioneer Square - the Tom Bihn store! Hooked ever since! How awesome it would be to have that store back!

My story is not nearly as interesting as some others I see here. Was a very satisfied customer of Waterfield Design in San Francisco with a long-lasting and durable "Cargo" bag for my laptop that had seen probably half a million airline miles over the years. However, a couple of years ago I noticed that TSA had approved several bags that would not require me to remove my laptop from the bag while going through security. Since the Cargo bag was usually tightly stuffed, removing and replacing the laptop was always a PITA.

In looking for an alternative I came across TB and the Checkpoint Flyer on the web. Lighter and more flexible than my Cargo bag and a design that enabled me to go through security without disturbing the contents of the bag in any way while going through security. And best of all, the factory was only 20 miles from my house. I've had the CF for about 16 months and love it. Now I'm adding the Aeronaut to replace a rolling bag.
    backpack and Lara like this.

Was looking for a more comfortable strap for my RO Airboss and found everybody on Flyertalk raving about Tom Bihn's Absolute Shoulder Strap.
    backpack and Lara like this.

Well I've heard about Tom Bihn bags a few years back, reading reviews for the Aeronaut while researching about one bag traveling. Anyhow I did manage to successfully transition myself to carry on/light traveling but I had been using my trusty old duffel bag that I've owned for years to travel the world. However the trusty old bag has developed too much wear for my liking so I decided to go looking for a new bag and I remembered the Tom Bihn bags, and the Red Oxx ones, but I felt the Aeronaut was the perfect fit for me.

Anyhow I now have my new Aeronaut for which I'm eager to try out on my next holiday (3 weeks in the US and Canada in about 6 weeks time), and I feel I've become addicted to the Tom Bihn bags too, as I've just placed an order in for a Medium Cafe bag plus some pouches and a 3d clear organiser. Oh happy times

I first learned about Tom Bihn a few years ago from my brother, who travels very frequently in the US for short trips. He was looking for American made bags, and recommended Red Ox and Tom Bihn. I finally bought one--I live and travel frequently overseas and usually for longer periods of time. I now have a Western Flyer and Synapse in the new light-weight fabric. I use the Synapse daily, and have used the Western Flyer once. I love the quality and am now looking at more bags. Addiction!

Back somewhere around 2006, I was in the market for a replacement for my ancient (and beginning to fall apart) Rick Steves backpack. One day I was sitting at Seatac Airport waiting for my flight when I noticed a guy with what looked like a good candidate for the replacement--an Aeronaut. We chatted a couple of minutes, he told me that the bag actually was made in Seattle, so I decided to check out the store soon. Next thing I knew, I had an Aeronaut myself. (The irony is, I hardly ever use it these days because I have a tendency to over-pack it...) But that's how my addiction started.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I was looking for a bicycle messenger bag to use as my work bag, but needed something for my laptop to protect it. I found a bag company in Canada who put the straps in their bag for the brain cell to connect. I ordered the brain cell for my huge laptop and was very pleased (this was 2004/2005 timeframe). A couple years later, I changed out laptops, so I bought a smaller brain cell for it to go in my messenger bag. I finally bought my first (and currently only) bag (the Ristretto for iPad - the prior version) a couple years ago. I absolutely love it, and let my wife use it for a trip she took for work. When she got back, we ordered one for her!

I discovered TB after traveling with my boys (9,8 and 6 months) and realized I needed something lighter on my back (I'm 4ft 11in) to carry all their "stuff". So on one of the many nights I was up holding a colicky baby, I read about the TB Synapse for certain heights on one of the websites (sorry, my sleep deprived brain has forgotten which one). Thus, the obsession begins...My first order comes Wednesday, yay! Of course, I have plans for more. There is so much available at TB for me to organize my boys' daily outings. Now if TB would devise a way to organize all those Lego pieces....

BTW, the Forum is great reading material when one is trying to stay awake at night to feed the baby Thank you!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0