Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: How did you first discover Tom Bihn bags?

I've been following One Bag, One World for a couple of years, and saw lots of references to Tom Bihn bags. I finally jumped in and bought a camera I-O, and now my collection seems to be multiplying.

Welcome to the Club!

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    ...and now my collection seems to be multiplying.
    Hi, Toblerhaus ... welcome to group therapy for sufferers of the happy malady known as Bihn Acquisition Syndrome (B.A.S)!

Regards,
    Sandro

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

My First contact was a German iPhone Blog with an test of the ristretto

[iPad-Zubehör] Tom Bihn – Ristretto / Messenger Bag

And so a few weeks later I bought my ristretto.

Around 1994, I was at my undergraduate school, the University of Redlands, and one of my acquaintances carried a large messenger bag instead of the usual backpack most of us carried. I loved how it looked on her and eventually asked her where she got it. I remember how she proudly told me it was a Tom Bihn bag as she showed me the tag. Next time I was at the computer center, I checked out the website, and bought one ( now large cafe bag) in our school color, burgundy. I still have and use that bag and it looks great. Over the years I have continued to purchase things for myself and family members. I love supporting such a fine company.

I found Tom Bihn through the, not so active now, blog Vegan Lunch Box. In one post, the writer packed her lunch box (which I owned) into a MCB and I followed the link to Tom Bihn. From there, I got obsessed with the Swift and was lucky to receive one as a gift soon after (I took a lot of hinting!) and from time to I would check back on the site to see what was new. Now I have my Synapse and I am hooked. An Aeronaut or Tri-Star are next.

Like Toblerhaus, I kept seeing references to Aeronaut and Western Flyer on sites like OBOW and FlyerTalk. Having ditched an oversize Tumi rollaboard (it wasn't when I bought it, but airline regs changed), I spent a couple of years fighting with a Patagonia MLC. I liked the concept but was mighty disappointed in the execution, so I found my way over to Tom's eponymous website in early 2009. I spent months humming and hahing about which would be the one and only bag that would cover all eventualities. In retrospect I admit there is no such thing...

My first purchase was an Empire Builder three years ago. Ironically it's my least-used TB bag, but I saw the quality of craftsmanship. My work travel started to increase again in early 2010, and I bought a Tri-Star - crimson, as that was the only colour available at the time. That saw me through 80 domestic flights in its first year. Although the back panel is a bit grubby from rubbing against a wax cotton jacket, and the zipper pulls are showing some brassing, it still works like a charm as a one-bag for my 4-5 day trips with laptop. I started commuting to Calgary in the winter of 2010-11, and picked up one of the last indigo/solar Aeronauts for the extra 12 litres volume while still fitting in a CRJ overhead bin. My travel has scaled back to 2-3 days every couple of weeks so I just bought a black Western Flyer which I plan to use as a combined laptop and clothing bag in more formal environments.
    Last edited by lotuseater; 12-26-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Typo
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    This was a great idea for a forum thread: we're having a lot of fun reading about how you found us!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    I spent months humming and hahing about which would be the one and only bag that would cover all eventualities.
    I think most people say "hem and haw" don't they? I just looked it up and there are lots of regional and historical variants, but I've never heard "hum and hah" - where'd you get that from, if you don't mind me asking?

- Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tbessie View Post
    I think most people say "hem and haw" don't they? I just looked it up and there are lots of regional and historical variants, but I've never heard "hum and hah" - where'd you get that from, if you don't mind me asking?

- Tim
    I don't know where lotuseater's from, but I'd say humming and hahing too. I'm in the UK.

I found out about Tom Bihn when i was looking for an EDC backpack which lead me to the Synapse from Flyertalk. But after reading the TB forums, I bought more than just the Synapse because they all look so good & to also save on shipping cost which is quite expensive to Singapore.

In 2008, I wanted to get a bag for my knitting. Many Googles later, I found the Swift, purchased one, and the love for Tom Bihn bags continued. I quickly bought a Ruck's Sac & Imago, and I'm now glad I did, since that lovely Plum changed a year later. I have many lovely TB items now (as seen in my signature) although I did give some of them up in the split. I use several on a daily basis, but the Citizen Canine by far gets the most use, thanks to the dog :-)
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

"It's a fair cop, gov. I dun the blag."

Tim, Helen has me bang to rights. I'm a Brit, living in the US for the last 17 years. I may accidentally pronounce Z as Zee instead of Zed, but unless iOS autocorrect overrides me and I don't catch it in time, I still spell the word "colour". And with my Scots heritage, I keep correcting my young son, who mistakenly calls his troosers "pants". I'm sure I'll continue to corrupt his grammar so the best he scores is a B+ :-)
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    "It's a fair cop, gov. I dun the blag."
    Yes, I'm sure you talk just like that all the time.

It's funny though - I searched some more, and did indeed find some references to hum/hah on British sites, but hem/haw still seems to be the master. I wonder if it's dying out due to American TV influence.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    We never hem/haw, and I doubt anyone this side of the pond would do anything but hum/hah! Lotuseater, keep undermining the colonials from the inside; I'll keep going from over here and before you know it they'll be back in the Empire where they belong speaking the Queen's English properly... I'm sure they already regret 1776 and just need a good excuse to come home lol

I was trying to do some research on BAD bags, and was looking for the "largest maximum carry on size." Low and behold, the Aeronaut popped up. The bag's dimensions were exactly the maximum size that could be brought onto a Delta flight. I got an Aeronaut and a Brain Bag about 2 years ago and have been slowly acquiring more pieces ever since. Although I have been thrilled with the Aeronaut, I'd have to say that the Brain Bag probably has gotten the most usage and the most abused.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0