Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Buzz or cafe bag? Size?

I need to get some sort of bag, but I can't decide. I know later on when I get a laptop I'm going to get either a brain bag or empire builder, but for the short term I need something to hold all my stuff. I'm interested in a cafe bag or buzz. I need it on my trips to school and work.

I need to carry my keys, ipod, sunglasses, pens, pda, various sized books, misc small items, etc. I'd also like to know how big a notebook can fit in the mentioned bags?

It would be really great if one or the other could hold a notebook of binder paper, or possible 3 ring binder and textbook. I normally only need to carry a single textbook or binder at a time. I usually carry a single binder and one of these books. I could modify this and get some sort of spiral notebook if I had to.

I'd rather get a cafe bag over the buzz, since I may get a brain bag later, the cafe bag would seem like it would compliment a brain bag or empire builder more (a medium cafe bag would fit inside either one correct?). I've ruled out the small cafe bag, and I'd rather not get a large becuase I don't want a half empty bag all the time flopping around. Would a medium bag work for me? Another quick requirement would be to fit in a locker for work, but I probably need to measure that out myself.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I think the Buzz and the Cafe bag (even the large) would be a bit too small. Because of the way the Buzz is shaped, it's not very binder-friendly, and it'd be a stretch to fit the binder and one of those textbooks inside the Large Cafe Bag.

Have you considered the ID or the Smart Alec? These are the bags I primarily use. They're great mid-sized bags -- in them, I can carry my laptop (inside a Brain Cell or Monolith), a jacket/sweater, all the usual accessories, a book, my iPod, wallet, checkbook wallet, bottle of water, and still have a bit of room leftover in case I pick up anything along the way.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thank you for the reply

Would the med or large cafe bag hold just one book and a 8.5x11 thin notebook?

I think I'll just go with a med or large cafe bag for all my little stuff, and then later on I can get a empire builder or brain bag for school/laptop carring.. thank you for all your help.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I'd recommend the Large, but the Medium may work. And you're welcome!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I just ordered a medium cafe bag. I picked medium to carry all my stuff that I end up carring around. If I really need to carry a laptop or textbooks I'll just have to get another bag I've been having too many experiences carring stuff around and thinking "If I had a cafe bag this would be easier". Thank you for helping me pick a bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0