Brain Cell, Soft Cell (and my soft brain)

I am getting ready to order an Empire Builder. My plan is to order a Brain Cell and Ultimate strap as well. But I'm a little worried about the Brain Cell because I'm so used to using a neoprene cover for my laptop.

I recognize the extra protection of the Brain Cell, and I think that I will appreciate occassionally using the Brain Cell on its own for times I just want my laptop and a few files. But the thing that I like about neoprene sleeves is that I use them as sort of "laptop placemats." That is, when I take my laptop out of it's sleeve, I simply place the laptop on top of the sleeve.

This provides some extra protection against minor spills or a dirty/dusty/wet table. Having the laptop on the sleeve also allows me to keep my laptop on my lap for extended periods without it getting too hot and burning my legs.

I am currently using an IBM ThinkPad T23 with a simple Case Logic zippered neoprene sleeve inside of a laptop messenger bag. I am getting a ThinkPad T43, which has a bigger screen, so my current neoprene sleeve will not fit. If I was to go the neoprene route again, I'd get a Soft Cell and use it like I've been using my current sleeve.

What kind of protection would a Soft Cell inside of an Empire Builder provide?

Like I said, I think the Brain Cell would offer significantly more protection when travelling with the laptop is in it's case (Empire Builder), but I'm a little worried about taking the laptop out of the Brain Cell and being naked! I guess I've been using the sleeve for so long I have come to take it for granted.

Anyone else go through this (switching from using a neoprene sleeve)?

Is the Brain Cell suitable for using as a placemat of sorts? Could you set a laptop on top of the Brain Cell - would it perch there safely? What about on your lap? Does anyone here do this? I'm guessing the Brain Cell a bit bulky for this, but who knows?

I know I'm probably thinking way too much about this, but the idea of using a laptop without some kind of cushion/protection/heat absorber seems foreign to me. I wonder if I could use just one piece of neoprene (like a big mouse pad cut to size) as a layer. Wonder if that would fit with the laptop in a Brain Cell?

Anyway.. thanks for listening... I'm as excited about getting a new bag as I am about getting a new laptop. what a dork....

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I often put my Powerbook on top of my Brain Cell and use it a a sort of cushion, whether it's on my lap or on a table. The Brain Cell isn't specifically designed to do this, so it's not a perfectly balanced solution, but it works.

I'd definitely recommend the Brain Cell over the Soft Cell for use inside the Empire Builder. The Brain Cell is designed to clip inside of the Empire Builder, while the Soft Cell is currently only available in a vertical format that you'd have to turn over on its side to fit in the Empire Builder.

Check out this thread for recommendations on laptop podium pads.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    From Gizmodo today: Prevent Lap Burn
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy
    I often put my Powerbook on top of my Brain Cell and use it a a sort of cushion, whether it's on my lap or on a table. The Brain Cell isn't specifically designed to do this, so it's not a perfectly balanced solution, but it works.

I'd definitely recommend the Brain Cell over the Soft Cell for use inside the Empire Builder. The Brain Cell is designed to clip inside of the Empire Builder, while the Soft Cell is currently only available in a vertical format that you'd have to turn over on its side to fit in the Empire Builder.
    Thanks Darcy. I figured as much (the Brain Cell being a much better choice) when I placed my order Jan. 10. I'm happy to hear that the Brain Cell is at least a workable (if not ideal) solution as a laptop pad.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0