Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau (guess who's in it)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

The $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau (guess who's in it)

We can't tell you much more than this (yet) but we're one of the businesses included in Chris Guillebeau's "The $100 Startup: Reinvent the Way You Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future" One of the coolest things about being in the book is that we received an advance copy (it is officially out on May 8th.) It's a great read and we can't wait to share more with you. Stay tuned!

Here's the video trailer for the book:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xbwBboFr3fQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More soon.... in the meantime, here's The $100 Startup website.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Today is the day: the $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau is out and available for purchase at Amazon.com, Your Local Bookstore, B&N and others.

The message of the book is:
    "If you want to create more freedom and security for yourself through a "very small" business, the skills and the money you have are all you need. Don't wait!"

Stay tuned for Tom's thoughts on the book and on business in general.

We want to hear from you: do you own a small business? Do you want to? Tell us about it (and post a link to your business here)
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Already sent email to several friends who are thinking about starting new businesses. thanks, gonna read it myself.
    Darcy likes this.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by joiedwards View Post
    Already sent email to several friends who are thinking about starting new businesses. thanks, gonna read it myself.
    Let me know what you think-- it'd be fun to have a mini-book club discussion here!

I will do that.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We want to hear from you: do you own a small business? Do you want to? Tell us about it (and post a link to your business here)
    Yep, I own a small construction biz. We've been in business about 8 years, and in this economy, I'm really proud to still be in business! There is both a freedom and a burden to being your own boss. You determine the course of your business, and control the big decisions. You determine the culture and values of your company. But if you have employees, you're responsible to have enough work to support those other families, too. We have opted to stay small and lean. We could have made more money if we'd grown bigger, but it wasn't worth the additional stress. I would not call this my dream business, but perhaps it is the launching point for the next dream.

This past few years have been tough on everyone--grueling for some--but it's also created an opportunity for people to branch out into something they might not have tried otherwise.

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    That's great to hear you're more than hanging in there, especially with new home starts like they are. I like that you are aware that you're establishing the culture and values of your company - those things are often swept aside in the day-to-day - good that you remind the rest of us.
    Chris's book has several stories of people who only started their business after being fired or laid off, and now say they are so glad that it happened that way. It's that old crisis/opportunity thing.
    Darcy and TavaPeak like this.

Actually, I was more curious about this photo:

That is a piece made of Dyneema, but I can't identify what item it is!!! There seems to be a tad bit of yellow peeking through, but the TB label is sewn on the Dyneema, implying that's the exterior fabric. But I can't think of anything that's steel Dyneema and yellow inside.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Actually, I was more curious about this photo:

That is a piece made of Dyneema, but I can't identify what item it is!!! There seems to be a tad bit of yellow peeking through, but the TB label is sewn on the Dyneema, implying that's the exterior fabric. But I can't think of anything that's steel Dyneema and yellow inside.
    @Lani How about the Synapse in Steel Dyneema with Solar Dyneema interior? There's also the Co-Pilot in Steel and Solar Dyneema, but the shape and size of the fabric around the label wouldn't match the swatch in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Lani How about the Synapse in Steel Dyneema with Solar Dyneema interior? There's also the Co-Pilot in Steel and Solar Dyneema, but the shape and size of the fabric around the label wouldn't match the swatch in the picture.
    moriond is right: it's a Synapse in Steel/Solar. That should give everyone an indication of how soon backorders for the Synapse will be shipped... I'd say by late next week or the beginning of the following week.

Question Moving from a private company to a public company

Have you ever been approached to taking the company public.
    I wonder how much control you would lose over your products. Especially with most companies having their products made outside the USA.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Noooooooo!!!! We want Tom Bihn to be responsive to the customer, not the shareholder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    moriond is right: it's a Synapse in Steel/Solar. That should give everyone an indication of how soon backorders for the Synapse will be shipped... I'd say by late next week or the beginning of the following week.
    [Toy Story 3-eyed Alien]

"Ooooooooooooh!!!!!"

[/Toy Story 3-eyed Alien]

Props to moriond on getting it on the nose. Very impressed!

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    I wonder how much control you would lose over your products. Especially with most companies having their products made outside the USA.
    Indeed we would loose the control we have now, and I can't see what we'd gain: it's not like we need access to capital particularly. We are entirely debt-free at this point and are beholden to no one except our customers and our employees (without both of these groups of people, nothing happens around here). And the dogs - definitely we're beholden to our dogs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0