Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Update on Solar Dyneema/nylon

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I believe they do. The core permanent colors seem to be black Cordura, and steel Dyneema. They do periodically sell out of those, but those colors seem to be permanent and they don't ever stop making things in those colors.
    I think it is really important to point that out to people new to Tom Bihn Inc.

My first order consisted of a Brain Bag in Steel, before ordering, I pondered a lot between the traditional and subdued Steel and the now discontinued gorgeous Grape shade.
    I now, wish, I had ordered the more daring color.

I completely understand the hesitation of ordering something completely new in term of fabric, design and color.
    But, taking into account my personal experience and shared ones on the forum, I say order the color you are the most attracted to, no matter how bright.

After receiving the bag, keep it in new condition by leaving the tags on, packing it with clean stuff* and wearing it indoors for a little while.

Tom design his bags for carrying things and the geometry of an empty bag will not feel quite right but fall perfectly in place the minute you put your stuff in.

Your next move will be to decide if you really love the daring color your ordered or would rather follow the Tom Bihn bags' owners whose collection is made entirely of basic Black, stylish Steel and stately Navy.

No matter what color you choose, every Tom Bihn Bag and Accessory serves its purpose beautifully.

* I always make sure my stuff is inspected before putting it in my Tom Bihn bags, I had to deal with and witnessed enough clean up aftermath of sugary, oily, drooly, muddy, dusty hands, mouths and paws to know that my things are not immune to them.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-15-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Tom design his bags for carrying things and the geometry of an empty bag will not feel quite right but fall perfectly in place the minute you put your stuff in.
    Kind of like Cinderella's glass slipper. ;-)
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Kind of like Cinderella's glass slipper. ;-)
    The amazing thing about most of Tom's bags is that they're designed to fit comfortably and work well for a wide range of heights and body types -- which is kind of the opposite situation of Cinderella's glass slipper, and also doesn't get conveyed well to a first-time web shopper who is reading the product description pages.

I read the One Bag, One World forums, and when I do follow up reading of reviews for a number of bags that are recommended there (usually by men, who have larger frames and builds than I do), I'd see comments in eBags reviews from, for example, a 5'5" tall woman who said that she really wanted to like this bag that came so highly recommended, but that the actual experience of trying to carry it through an airport was disastrous (with details about all the ways that it's balance, weight, or shape just did not work for her). (I know that I should supply actual links in support for this statement, and I can, but the time to dig out the exact reference pages doesn't seem worth it, since I'd probably have to rely on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine to pull up the original quotes.)

@Lani I know you just said in another post in the Just deciding on an Aeronaut (Bundle vs. other packing methods) thread that you found the Aeronaut a tad too big for your frame, but I do use this bag (and I'm only an inch or so taller; I suspect with similar build). I'd like a smaller Aeronaut, but mostly to match the carry-on size requirements of all international airlines.

Just my thoughts. YMMV.

moriond

P.S. I found my reference to the post about some bags not working for smaller people. Here's the link to my forum post on Aeronaut vs. MEI Voyageur and Red Oxx Air Boss Scroll down to the last quote block in the post to read the quoted excerpt. There were a few more specific complaints that I left out for brevity, but I' m glad that I excerpted that bit as a quote, because the link to the original full review, also given in my post, no longer works.
    Last edited by moriond; 05-17-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added P.S. with link

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'd like a smaller Aeronaut, but mostly to match the carry-on size requirements of all international airlines.
    I'll second that!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I've taken a fully loaded down Aeronaut on a puddle jumper with no issues when everyone else was having their rolling carry-on bags taken away from them to be put in the cargo hold. The beauty of an Aeronaut is that it is not stiff and therefore can be squished when needed.

backpack: I am allergic to carrying solid-black bags. I wish more of the Tom Bihn products had colorful exteriors.

I believe they do. The core permanent colors seem to be black Cordura, and steel Dyneema. They do periodically sell out of those, but those colors seem to be permanent and they don't ever stop making things in those colors.
    I hope so, but a little variety would be nice too. Maybe 3 permanent color & some rotating colors & they are clearly sold as such.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by calel View Post
    I've taken a fully loaded down Aeronaut on a puddle jumper with no issues when everyone else was having their rolling carry-on bags taken away from them to be put in the cargo hold. The beauty of an Aeronaut is that it is not stiff and therefore can be squished when needed.
    True, but some international air travel companies are stricter about size (and weight) compliance. Also, see the Aeronaut under the seat? thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by calel View Post
    backpack: I am allergic to carrying solid-black bags. I wish more of the Tom Bihn products had colorful exteriors.
    A depressing number of bags are currently only available in black/black with some black/steel offerings at present. I was going to suggest to you (in your thread querying about using a Cadet or Smart Alec for a 15" MacBook Pro), that you might also consider using a Buzz. The sling design is really comfortable both to wear and access if you need to carry a 15" laptop, and works well even for shorter people. But this is one of the bags that is only available in black/black or black/steel. And I suspect that with large headphones you wouldn't be able to carry everything you want in one bag -- though the headphones might fit in the Aeronaut side pocket when traveling. One of the quirks of fate is that I bought a (new Buzz) before I bought my new laptop (in order to get the color combination I wanted before it might possibly go away-- sapphire/steel), and then ended up getting a 13" MBP, so I just use the Synapse. However, ditto on the wish for more colorful exteriors (and more plum would be nice).

moriond

Addendum: point in fact on the last point regarding color options --look at today's blog post with the old and new Brain bags in the picture. The 2002 bag on the left is a bright sapphire and the recent bag is black. And the current Brain Bag colors are camouflage, steel, olive, navy, and black -- fine choices, but not exactly bright colors. (Not to diss the fine writeup about the new Camera I-O).
    Last edited by moriond; 05-17-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Addendum to color discussion

Quote Originally Posted by roh View Post
    I have been a loyal friend of the great TB
    My blue pouch always goes with me
    Love my vast collection every one
    Used them everywhere under the sun
    But now I feel I must complain
    Solar always chased the rain
    Brightness, splendor color bold
    I can't believe it won't be sold
    I sigh, I pine, what will I do?
    But wait, one Bihnism is always true
    Brilliant staff concurs, TB a real go getter
    Dynema, new shade, must be even better!

Love your poem! It made me think of this:

Solar Dyneema
    Bright, happy sunshine... No More!
    Our hearts not slash-proof.
    dorayme likes this.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Oh Darcy, oh Darcy

It's already June!

We are all still waiting, so patiently...

But just like flowers need to be watered,

So, too, us little chickies need goodies!

We squeek, Eep Eep Eep! as we wait to find out

What next Dyneema color you will surprise us with!

====

I want you to know I had daydreams about the next color while I was on my trip to Japan.

Packing Cube Shoulder Bag please!!!!!!

Still waiting patiently. ^_^

Still waiting patiently. ^_^
    Patiently?? Hmmm I wonder.....>) I am sure it will be worth the wait, even if it takes another month or three!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    Patiently?? Hmmm I wonder.....>) I am sure it will be worth the wait, even if it takes another month or three!!
    I'm with you, rabergnc. I'm waiting rather impatiently, I fear. I would like to order a new Shop Bag and some Dyneema Organizer Pouches, but I'm waiting to see what the new color will be. Hope it's soon!

Seen in today's blog from Tom:

Coming soon: Vertical and Horizontal Cache for the 15″ MacBook Pro Retina, Vertical and Horizontal Brain Cell for the 15″ MacBook Pro Retina, and a new mystery travel accessory that will introduce you to the new custom-dyed color of our Dyneema/nylon ultralight ripstop fabric that’s made in Japan especially for us.
    I CANNOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
    ncb4 and nukediver like this.

Tom can be such a tease.
    ncb4 and Lani like this.

Hurry up! I need to order a cache and Nook Pouch. Waiting to see the new color! And hoping for a 4th of July FOT pouch!!!!
    Lani and TXGirl like this.
    Joi Edwards

black/steel Aeronaut, black/steel Smart Alec, navy Brain Bag, steel Snake Charmer, Absolute Strap, Vertical Freudian Slip, Brain Cell, Cache, Nook Pouch, wasabi Travel Packing Sacks, steel medium Yarn Stuff Sack, Aeronaut large and end Packing Cubes, Tri-Star large Packing Cube, ultraviolet Travel Tray, scads of different pouches of all sizes

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast