Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Update on Solar Dyneema/nylon

I have a Forest/Ultraviolet Smart Alec. I ordered it with a fair amount of skepticism fully expecting to send it back - it was the only non-steel lining available at the time. I found that I really like it however! might be worth a look.

I too will miss solar but do look forward to seeing what will replace it.
    Walker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    I have a Forest/Ultraviolet Smart Alec . . . might be worth a look.
    @rabergnc, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I have been looking at the Smart Alec in black/forest/UV for ages. I do not need a bag right away. So I think I will wait for the navy to return, hopefully with a lining other than steel.

I do have the Synapse in black/uv - love it! But I am giving it away. which is why I have been looking at the Smart Alec.

Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    It's from the TV show The Big Bang Theory - as a science nerd (geek? dork?) with a couple of Masters degrees myself, I totally relate to the show; it's really funny. But you don't have time for that, because you have a dissertation to finish :-)

Also - The Big Bang Theory - Soft Kitty - YouTube
    Ah ha. Thanks for the info. It's good to be in the know.

Yes, a dissertation to finish. I'll remind myself of that the next time I'm watching 8 back-to-back episodes of Star Trek.

Anyone involved in the world of academia needs to watch Big Bang Theory at least once.
    Lani and notmensa like this.
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

Oh, I've seen it, just not recently; hence, the missed reference. IDK if "anyone" in the academy must watch it; BBT is to "academia" in the way Beverly Hills, 90210 is to "high school."**

**Another totally outdated TV example! I'm awesome, I know.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    @rabergnc, thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I have been looking at the Smart Alec in black/forest/UV for ages. I do not need a bag right away. So I think I will wait for the navy to return, hopefully with a lining other than steel.

I do have the Synapse in black/uv - love it! But I am giving it away. which is why I have been looking at the Smart Alec.
    @Walker, what are we (and your abandoned Tom Bihn bags) to make of this fickleness? We learn, in another one of your posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    I gave away my Imago steel/wasabi for 2 reasons: 1) the color never grew on me; 2) I packed too much, just because . Even with the Absolute strap, when I carry as much load as OrionLethe's, my body thanks me for busting out the Synapse .
    Well, Okay, Steel/Wasabi is not my favorite combination (but there is the Imago in Navy (Ballistic)/Cork/Wasabi that's still available -- a brilliant combination). So maybe it's too easy for you to pack more than you can comfortably carry with the Imago messenger style bag. But why are you abandoning the Synapse for the even larger Smart Alec backpack? Is it the fact that the exterior of your Synapse is black (instead of being entirely UV dyneema)? What about the new Navy/Iberian Synapse color option (to match your Aeronaut order)?

I will freely admit that I don't love all my Tom Bihn bags equally -- I love my Synapse more than my Smart Alec, and I think that the padded back of the Synapse is superior to the design of the back of the Smart Alec.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 05-07-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmking View Post
    I guess I had good timing...I finally placed an order including the Indigo/Solar Synapse essentially at the same time as they made the announcement so I will get a Synapse to match my Aeronaut.
    Today's product page updates for the Synapse show that the Indigo/Solar combination is gone -- there's an Indigo/Steel combination pending in its place. I'll point out that this is well under a week from Darcy's original update announcement of the imminent disappearance of solar dyneema at the start of this thread, and I suspect that this option actually vanished earlier, since the web page updates have to lag product disappearances by at least one day, or more over weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Today's product page updates for the Synapse show that the Indigo/Solar combination is gone -- there's an Indigo/Steel combination pending in its place. I'll point out that this is well under a week from Darcy's original update announcement of the imminent disappearance of solar dyneema at the start of this thread, and I suspect that this option actually vanished earlier, since the web page updates have to lag product disappearances by at least one day, or more over weekends.
    Oh, wow, does that mean that I managed to order the last one yesterday? I adore my Indigo/Solar Synapse, and carry it every day. It still looks brand new but I wanted a backup one anyway. It's the best every day bag I've ever had in my life!

I've been told it's in stock and ready to ship.

Audrey

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    Oh, wow, does that mean that I managed to order the last one yesterday? I adore my Indigo/Solar Synapse, and carry it every day. It still looks brand new but I wanted a backup one anyway. It's the best every day bag I've ever had in my life!

I've been told it's in stock and ready to ship.

Audrey
    Audrey, I stated earlier that I don't love all my Tom Bihn bags equally, and that I especially love my Indigo/Solar Synapse, which I also carry every day. I will confess that when Katy posted:
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    Great, now I got to order some more solar pouches before they run out. *runs to phone with credit card*
    I'll be here waiting for your frantic phone call!
    I went and ordered another Indigo/Solar Synapse. I didn't do this for any other of my Tom Bihn bags -- not even for my Indigo/Solar Tri-Star when Indigo ballistic nylon was discontinued. I don't expect my Synapse to wear out, but it might someday get stolen *shudder*. I consider this to be more likely than the bag wearing out. If this were to happen I would be seriously enough bummed out to regret not purchasing an extra Indigo/Solar Synapse while it is still available. So… I completely understand how you feel about this. And, incidentally, when I asked Katy how many Indigo/Solar Synapses were left last Wednesday, she said, "Two." So, yes, I think you did manage to order the last Indigo/Solar Synapse.

moriond
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStar View Post
    Anyone involved in the world of academia needs to watch Big Bang Theory at least once.
    Agreed! Start with this clip:
    The Big Bang Theory - Rocky Scene - YouTube

-n

@Walker, what are we (and your abandoned Tom Bihn bags) to make of this fickleness? moriond
    @moriond, hey you read my posts! Thanks!

Don't worry, I love my TB bags. But it is good to share them with my favorite people who will love and use them well. I have been looking at the Smart Alec and the WF for a long time. Finally decided to purchase the WF (delivered last week). I am still interested in LauraA's review and comparison of the WF and the Smart Alec.

What about the new Navy/Iberian Synapse color option (to match your Aeronaut order)?

moriond
    I have already pre-ordered the Navy/Iberian Synapse even though I have a black/UV one!!! LOVE the Synapse....and figure with all my kids (8), it can't hurt to have several Synapses about the house I am so, so excited to have an N/I Synapse to match my new Aeronaut and Tri-Star (I think I got the last one). Wheeeeee!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I just added the Western Flyer, Backpack Straps, in Steel/Solar to the website. We have only a few left..
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast