Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Advice about selling on eBay or Craig's List?

Hey guys, I might be the only person on earth who hasn't sold anything on either eBay or Craig's List...any advice on doing this? I need to reduce my Tom Bihn collection a bit. Unfortunately the tax man cometh!
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

I don't use Craigslist so I can't help you there at all.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you want, so I'll toss out a bunch; hopefully a few of them will work for you.

- Since you will be a new user with no feedback, it will be very important for you to provide as much detail as possible. Be honest. If there are some scratches, tears, or defects on your items (maybe your dog tried to eat your Tom Bihn bag), then SAY SO. Also try to offer multiple photos, especially if you are showing any defects. Try to avoid just copying and pasting the official photos from the TB website, since you aren't selling them as new.

- Check the TB site and see if the item you're selling is still sold here. There are a lot of TB fans who keep their eyes peeled on eBay for discontinued colors and such.

- Try not to rake people over the coals with shipping. You can go to the post office and buy a large flat rate box if your item will fit in it, and you shouldn't need to charge more than their flat rate for priority mail service.

- Try to offer a Buy It Now price as well as a regular bid price. If your item is in hot demand, you can feel free to start with a very low bidding price, but make sure to set the Buy It Now price at your "dream price" of what you'd really love to get. Some people are wealthy and don't mind paying your BIN price if it means they can be guaranteed to get the item.

- Try not to put a reserve price on your item. If you have an absolute floor price (that is, "I cannot afford to sell this at lower than X amount"), then set that as your starting bid price. Although... if it's a TB item in good shape, you will be pleased to learn that you can start the bidding much lower, and people will still bid.

- If you can only get to the post office once a week or so, mention this in your details. There are enough professional sellers on eBay that some buyers expect the sellers to be monitoring their auctions all the time, and ship things right away. Again, it's all about disclosure.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

^^^^^ what Lani said.

As a collector and regular eBay buyer if you do what Lani said it would be great.

You might want to consider whether you ship overseas or not. I've been keeping an eye on TB bags on eBay and most sellers only ship to the US. Obviously this is easier, less risky and cheaper but those of us outside CONUS may be very interested in stuff that is available. Shipping may be a killer but it may not

Thanks Lani!

Lani, thanks for the GREAT advice. I've made 25 purchases on eBay, I've just never looked in to what it takes to sell stuff. I really appreciate your wisdom on this! Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    I don't use Craigslist so I can't help you there at all.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you want, so I'll toss out a bunch; hopefully a few of them will work for you.

- Since you will be a new user with no feedback, it will be very important for you to provide as much detail as possible. Be honest. If there are some scratches, tears, or defects on your items (maybe your dog tried to eat your Tom Bihn bag), then SAY SO. Also try to offer multiple photos, especially if you are showing any defects. Try to avoid just copying and pasting the official photos from the TB website, since you aren't selling them as new.

- Check the TB site and see if the item you're selling is still sold here. There are a lot of TB fans who keep their eyes peeled on eBay for discontinued colors and such.

- Try not to rake people over the coals with shipping. You can go to the post office and buy a large flat rate box if your item will fit in it, and you shouldn't need to charge more than their flat rate for priority mail service.

- Try to offer a Buy It Now price as well as a regular bid price. If your item is in hot demand, you can feel free to start with a very low bidding price, but make sure to set the Buy It Now price at your "dream price" of what you'd really love to get. Some people are wealthy and don't mind paying your BIN price if it means they can be guaranteed to get the item.

- Try not to put a reserve price on your item. If you have an absolute floor price (that is, "I cannot afford to sell this at lower than X amount"), then set that as your starting bid price. Although... if it's a TB item in good shape, you will be pleased to learn that you can start the bidding much lower, and people will still bid.

- If you can only get to the post office once a week or so, mention this in your details. There are enough professional sellers on eBay that some buyers expect the sellers to be monitoring their auctions all the time, and ship things right away. Again, it's all about disclosure.
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

Lani has the eBay advice just right.

For Craigslist, I recommend that you specify meeting in a public place when you get a serious buyer, if you don't want the general public visiting your house. Expect offers lower than your asking price. On an item like this, I would offer to ship the item, and take payment via PayPal. (also use PayPal for eBay sales; it costs you a bit, but people like it.)

I recently posted here about my hope to trade a new empire builder for partial payment toward a used aeronaut. No nibbles. I put the EB on craigs and got nothing. Put it on eBay and it sold (I think to a forum member). Based on that, I think eBay works well... But pm me if you're selling your aeronaut, steel cadet, or packing cubes

I have sold a number of items on eBay - even TB items. Never had any luck with Craigslist - probably because I live in a small city and there are so many things offered on Craigslist that a bag gets lost quickly in the constant influx of items being sold. Lani offered solid advice. I would only add that you should only use PayPal unless you are seeing your buyer face to face. With PayPal, the money is paid at the time of sale and it is less likely that the buyer will renege - although they still can of course. You do pay a bit for the privilege of using PayPal but in my experience, the peace of mind that you can get from being able to transfer funds to your account quickly is worth it. (PayPal is irksome if you are selling electronics since they can hold the money for up to 30 days to insure that the item was shipped and received by the buyer. This is not an issue with something like a TB bag.)

Great advice. But will you be parting with a buzz sling pack? If so, please post the eBay link. Cheers.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0