Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: For Sale Section

For Sale Section

Hi

Just wondering what you all think if we have a "For Sale , WTB / WTS " section on the forum
    for tom bihn bags who needs new home.

Thanks
    timex88

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by timex88 View Post
    Hi

Just wondering what you all think if we have a "For Sale , WTB / WTS " section on the forum
    for tom bihn bags who needs new home.

Thanks
    timex88
    Hi timex88,

There's actually a sticky post with Forum rules and guidelines under the TOM BIHN News & Everything Else forum. It states:
    3) Selling your TOM BIHN bag directly through these forums is not allowed. Sites such as eBay and craigslist are set up specifically to handle such transactions and we are not. You are welcome to post a link to your eBay or craigslist (or other such similar site) auction or sale of your TOM BIHN bag in these forums.
    For some background behind the reasoning for this, read this forum post and its followup discussion and links.

There have been posts by forum members who have been trying to locate discontinued items or colors, and some correspondence about that may go on as pms. Basically, we're not trying to bypass any sales that would otherwise go to Tom Bihn and Co, who host these forums, and put a great deal of effort into maintaining them. And we'll post links we find to specific bags that might be on sale on eBay or Craig's list. But we don't have a For Sale or Wanted to Buy section of the forums, because there are also potential liability issues for the company.

HTH.

moriond
    Darcy, ncb4 and Lani like this.

It seems to me reasonable to express a wistful desire for a discontinued bag, but why would the company foster a resale marketplace that competes directly with its business?

Like saying I wistfully desire a Solar PCSB and perhaps somebody messaging me that they have one they would be willing to part with is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    Like saying I wistfully desire a Solar PCSB and perhaps somebody messaging me that they have one they would be willing to part with is ok?
    Would seem to be okay, according to moriond's post above.

Anyway, I've come up with an idea: Tom Bihn could offer "refurbished" bags, under the following terms: Person A sends their bag to the factory, where someone appraises it and sets a price (I would trust TB to offer a fair price). Then it goes up on a "Refurbished" (or "Recycled" or "Rehomed") page, where Person B can buy it; all sales final. The company could set prices so it makes the same margin as on new goods (and with no materials and labor costs), thus not competing against itself.

I kinda wish there was such a forum here, but I completely get why there isn't and respect that policy. No issue there.

So, a question. I just 'won' a brand new checkpoint flyer on ebay (red). But I did a brain fart. For some reason I thought they came with a horizontal brain cell, and obviously they don't. My idea was, if I could get the bag cheaply enough I would basically be getting the brain cell for use in a future carry on that we'll likely be buying, and then would have the case itself to either use or sell. Once I get the bag I'll check it out, but even if I like it, I doubt I'd have any use for it. I don't fly all that much, just 2-4 times a year, and will be fine using either my Brain Bag or hopefully my new Tri Star that is due to arrive today.

So, if I list this on ebay, per the message above it would be ok to start a new thread saying "i'm selling a brand new checkpoint flyer with tags still attached and here's the link to the ebay auction"? I just want to be clear on what is acceptable. I value and respect these forums and don't want to do anything untoward.

And if this is ok, which forum would be the best choice to put such a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Would seem to be okay, according to moriond's post above.

Anyway, I've come up with an idea: Tom Bihn could offer "refurbished" bags, under the following terms: Person A sends their bag to the factory, where someone appraises it and sets a price (I would trust TB to offer a fair price). Then it goes up on a "Refurbished" (or "Recycled" or "Rehomed") page, where Person B can buy it; all sales final. The company could set prices so it makes the same margin as on new goods (and with no materials and labor costs), thus not competing against itself.
    While I agree that having a dedicated place for used TB bags/items would be nice, I can only imagine that it would a nightmare to manage for the TB or other folk. It is a totally different business. TB (or others) would have to decide if the bags get sold "as is" or do they offer a warrantee? Would TB be willing to offer a warrantee on a bag over which they had no control or knowledge of how it was used. HOw do you set a value for a used item that all might agree on? On eBay - it is a "the market rules" type of system - people bid what they are willing to pay and there is usually no return, no guarantee. I certainly can't speak for TB folk but the notion of running/managing such as business scares the pants off me. I suspect there is a reason that no bag manufacturer offers such as service (at least that I am aware of).

Quote Originally Posted by conejo23 View Post
    if I list this on ebay, per the message above it would be ok to start a new thread saying "i'm selling a brand new checkpoint flyer with tags still attached and here's the link to the ebay auction"? I just want to be clear on what is acceptable. I value and respect these forums and don't want to do anything untoward.

And if this is ok, which forum would be the best choice to put such a thread?
    I'd suggest posting to the TB news and everything else forum (this one) with the title "Brand New Checkpoint Flyer for Sale on eBay" or something like that. Providing the link in the body of the post is how I would do it.
    Lani likes this.

Thanks Badger, makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I'd suggest posting to the TB news and everything else forum (this one) with the title "Brand New Checkpoint Flyer for Sale on eBay" or something like that. Providing the link in the body of the post is how I would do it.
    That is also how I have done it with bags I have chosen to part with. It has proven quite effective and fits well within the guidelines that have been set up for that type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    That is also how I have done it with bags I have chosen to part with. It has proven quite effective and fits well within the guidelines that have been set up for that type of thing.
    I am baffled about the idea of "Parting" with one?
    I don't even understand the words you used?

Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    I am baffled about the idea of "Parting" with one?
    I don't even understand the words you used?
    Alas, there is only so much space I can devote to bags in my world and as I purchase new ones, space needs to be made. Since my wife won't let me part with the dog or the cat, or their respective toys, the bags sometimes take the hit. Rest assured I have plenty of TB items in my armamentum.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    This entire thread is confusing to me. A dedicated place to resell the bags??? I've traded a few and given some as gifts. I've researched the mess out of every one for a long time before purchasing. Once I've made the decision to buy, not wanting to keep it afterwards is a little absurd to me. Maybe I may see things differently down the road, but for now, this selling of the bags sounds like crazy talk.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I can totally see selling my current Brain Bag down the road. A new color comes out that I want, or a new version with new features. I buy the new one, sell the old one. Someone looking at Brain Bags gets an opportunity to get one at a great price and I offset the cost of the new bag. Don't need two of 'em.

That'll happen someday.

Conejo
    That is just one mans opinion......I have 3 Brain Bags,didn't realize I could sell them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0