Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The new iPad (and what bags it fits)

Actually it's worse than that.

Today's press said that the existing (Telstra) 4G network is the wrong bandwidth for the new iPad.

I was pinning some hope on the pending Optus network (as per the article I linked) perhaps working.

THIS ARTICLE (from today, 8 March) crushes that theory.
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by TXGirl View Post
    Although I would love the retina display & faster processor, I'm not ordering. My iPad 2 works perfectly & is still in pristine condition.
    Congrats to those who are getting one!
    I'm even more retro than you are, TXGirl. I have the retina display on my iPhone 4S and it is amazing. But my iPad 1—yes, you read that right—is barely two months old. I just upgraded to an Apple-refurbed 64GB model in January, and although the new Retina display on the iPad 3 is tempting, I'm happy with what I have for now. The only thing that upsets me is that the new iPhoto for iPad won't work on my iPad: bummer! With PhotoStream, any photos I take with my iPhone are automatically downloaded to my iPad as well, so I don't really understand why Apple thought original iPad owners wouldn't want iPhoto. (Unless this is a deliberate move on Apple's part to nudge original iPad owners to upgrade.) Fortunately, there are some amazing editing apps like Photogene which do work in all iPads, so we "originals" are covered.

But I'm always excited when others get new toys, so I'm happy for all of you who are lucky enough to be pre-ordering. And talk to me again in six months and we'll see what model iPad I have. (Laughing)

Congrats to everyone who is ordering! I am so tempted!

I have the same newish iPad 1, ncb4. I love it. But I don't even have an iPhone, so the lack of camera and difficulty getting photos onto the iPad are what might tip the scales for me. The video shows all kinds of cool photo things you can do. Can I rationalize an upgrade? Maaaybe - my husband needs something to take on trips when I'm not along; I was thinking of getting him a Kindle Fire because it's smaller and cheaper. But maybe I should just pass on the old iPad to him....

You Aussies could buy the non-cellular version of the new iPad, then get a mobile wifi hotspot. No monthly contracts and you could get one that's localized. I might do that if I buy the new iPad - makes it possible to travel internationally if you're willing to get local sim cards.

JLE

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    Actually it's worse than that.

Today's press said that the existing (Telstra) 4G network is the wrong bandwidth for the new iPad.

I was pinning some hope on the pending Optus network (as per the article I linked) perhaps working.

THIS ARTICLE (from today, 8 March) crushes that theory.
    :-( No point "upgrading" from the iPad 2 then. :-(

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by kmcg View Post
    You Aussies could buy the non-cellular version of the new iPad, then get a mobile wifi hotspot. No monthly contracts and you could get one that's localized. I might do that if I buy the new iPad - makes it possible to travel internationally if you're willing to get local sim cards.
    Good suggestion. I have an Airport Express and am thinking of getting a Mifi unit as well. My iPad 2 has wifi only, because I found when I had a 3G iPad 1 that I rarely needed to bother with the 3G connection (because i usually had wifi access and that was almost always faster, and cheaper), and I kept letting my data allowance expire! It seems a shame though that we need all this extra kit just to get the new iPad to perform to its design capability.... (my understanding is the 4G version will still work with 3G networks, at least).

Still, right now I think I am going to wait for the "real" next generation iPad.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    But my iPad 1—yes, you read that right—is barely two months old. I just upgraded to an Apple-refurbed 64GB model in January, and although the new Retina display on the iPad 3 is tempting, I'm happy with what I have for now. The only thing that upsets me is that the new iPhoto for iPad won't work on my iPad: bummer! With PhotoStream, any photos I take with my iPhone are automatically downloaded to my iPad as well, so I don't really understand why Apple thought original iPad owners wouldn't want iPhoto.
    @ncb4 Not to tempt you too much, but Apple just dropped prices on refurbed iPad 2 models, as well as the original iPad models.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    :-( No point "upgrading" from the iPad 2 then. :-(
    I won't be - although if I did a lot of photo work I'd probably be tempted by the retina display. We only have one iPad between the two of us and at the moment it meets our needs. We'll save our pennies for more urgent computer upgrades soon.

I do have the 3G one but mostly use WiFi - handy to have the 3G though.

Our's went out with the boy last night in his SCB, a snug fit with the case on but he wasn't carrying anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcg View Post
    Congrats to everyone who is ordering! I am so tempted!

I have the same newish iPad 1, ncb4. I love it. But I don't even have an iPhone, so the lack of camera and difficulty getting photos onto the iPad are what might tip the scales for me.
    I am not sure what difficulty you are thinking of but with the $30.00 iPad connection kit it almost could not be any easier to get photos on an iPad?
    Have you seen this?

Ed

Ed - Thanks - I've seen it but was reluctant to sink a lot of money in accessories when I first bought the iPad. But I'll take a look again. Do you know of any apps that make it easy to transfer? I tried something like Bluetooth Photo Share and it took about 20 minutes to send a photo from my daughter's iPhone! Not really what I had in mind

I have the connection kit and used it to upload a couple of hundred photos to my iPad 2 from a camera card every day of my 6wk trip last year. Just using the photo software on the iPad.

I used the flickstacker app to upload to flickr which was reasonably good if there was decent wifi available - which doesn't always happen.

I've never connected my iPhone to it but apparently it works.

The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included). iPhone 3G is not supported.

Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Apple Store (Australia)

What Daisy said!
    Depending on your memory card of course the kit comes with 2 adapters.1 is an SD card slot and the other is a USB jack so if you already have a card reader for your non SD cards you connect it directly to the iPad through the adapter.

The iPad just asks you what you want to do and BAM!!!

For $30.00 it is a "No-Brainer" I think.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AVService View Post
    What Daisy said!
    I'll just add to the description by Daisy and AVService that the iPad camera connection kit can be used for many more purposes, including connecting items like non-powered USB mics into the USB connector. (For example, I've recorded tapes directly from a cassette tape deck to the iPad by using an 8-year old Griffin iMic.) If you want to transfer photos between iPhone and iPad and/or computer on a shared WiFi network, I've found that the Photo Transfer app works well. But for bulk photo transfers, I'd recommend the iPad camera connection kit.

moriond

Excellent! Maybe this will keep me from leaping onto the new iPad.

I absolutely love my iPad and use it a lot more than my Laptop - and I'm working on eliminating the Laptop for all but a few things.

Hoping I can order the new one, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to get it here. As a travel device it's fantastic, especially for visiting friends and showing off photos/videos, etc - and when you have 3G abroad it's even better. In Japan though - the iPad2 was SIM-locked to Softbank. A Japanese iPad2 3G couldn't be used on other wireless networks in the world. Crazy, I know.

So now I have to wait to hear if the iPad(3) will be SIM locked or not here, if it is might be a while till I can get somewhere else I can buy one that isn't.

That new ristretto looks tempting!
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    FlickrBlog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

I'm happy with my iPad 2. It's a nice bump, but not big enough for me to consider upgrading. Next year's model is most likely when I'll do so.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast