• 1 Post By ncb4
  • 3 Post By Badger
  • 1 Post By ncb4
  • 1 Post By TXGirl
  • 2 Post By dorayme
  • 5 Post By Janine

Thread: Navy Aeronaut on backorder: time to decide my Indigo Tri-Star's fate

Navy Aeronaut on backorder: time to decide my Indigo Tri-Star's fate

In the past 24 hours, the Navy/Solar Aeronaut has shifted from being in-stock to being on backorder. Drat! Once again, my dithering has cost me. But maybe it's a good thing: if I order it now, my credit card will have a couple of months to recover from the holidays before it's charged for the new bag. Because after carrying my son's brand-new Forest/Steel Aeronaut around the Atlanta airport last weekend, as we spent the last hour together before he returned to Switzerland, I absolutely, positively, irrevocably fell in love with the Aeronaut. I've been the proud owner of a beautiful Indigo Tri-Star for a while now, but I swear that although Evan's Aeronaut is larger, and was packed full, it rode more lightly on my shoulder (with the Absolute strap of course) than my Tri-Star ever has. And the Aeronaut retained its streamlined shape even when fully loaded; the Tri-Star does tend to look like a square when it's packed.

[Note: Evan carried both the Aeronaut and his new Brain Bag on board the plane and had no problem, even on an Embraer regional jet that he said was so small he couldn't stand up in it.]

So I think I'm going to place an order for the Navy/Solar Aeronaut: hurray! And since it's due to ship in April, it will arrive in time for my birthday. The question now is do I keep my Indigo Tri-Star, or try to raise some of the funds for the Aeronaut by selling the Tri-Star? I love Indigo; it's a gorgeous color. But after having packed both the Tri-Star and the Aeronaut, I think I prefer the less-structured interior of the Aeronaut. If it were a house, a realtor might call it an "open floor plan," and I think it will give me more options in how I want to pack it. There is a lot to love about the Tri-Star; slightly smaller size can be of benefit when flying, and that middle compartment is wonderful for carrying a laptop. But I'm not sure I'd use the Tri-Star much once the Aeronaut arrives. We shall see.

I haven't yet made up my mind, but if there is anyone who has been looking for an Indigo Tri-Star, PM me.

This is an interesting conundrum. Having just gotten back from my grand Italian adventure with the Aeronaut, I have to agree that it's a traveler's dream. NOBODY in the airport looked twice at it, and I was never required to gate-check, even on the regional plane from NYC to Chicago. While I didn't use the Absolute Strap at all, the Aeronaut felt not-too-heavy on my back as a backpack. I did add structure to it by using packing cubes and bundles.

Despite my love for my Aeronaut (I can't wait until March, when I'll next get to use it), I still would like a Tri-Star for its organizing capabilities. For instance, if Mrs Badger and I were going away for a four-day trip, we could each pack into one section of a Tri-Star (it's what we do for weekend trips with our WF). Or, when baby Badgers start arriving, having more structure inside a bag could be handy for organizing clothes, toys, and so forth. The TS's compartments would also make it easy to segregate casual from business clothes, or cleans from dirtys. And yes, there's the laptop situation. I didn't take a laptop with me on my last trip, but I'm not sure it would have fit well into the Aeronaut. I would have had to carry it separately. This is probably not a huge deal most of the time, but, as you point out, one-bagging could be more difficult without the dedicated space unless you have a small laptop or netbook.

You are right that the Aeronaut is great for flexible packing, and I congratulate you on your backordered-but-soon-to-arrive acquisition. I would totally buy your TS, but alas: I want to hold out for one in Navy/Solar!

Glad to hear you had what sounds like a great time with Evan. Happy new year!

As always, thanks for your thoughts, Badger! I do travel with a laptop and camera—but as a person of the female persuasion, I also always carry some kind of PLO: purse-like object, and I can easily fit either my 11-inch Macbook Air or my iPad into that. Now if I were flying on some of the European carriers with a strict one-bag policy, I might need to be able to consolidate my PLO into the Aeronaut for the duration of the flight. But I imagine I could do that easily with my LCB. I'm still thinking I may part with the Tri-Star, but I've got time to ponder.

PLO, that's a new one for me, but I love it, and will have to steal it. For 8 years I had a diaper bag of sorts and it carried my personal items too, I lost any sense of my bag identity. Since finding TB, my diperbag carrying days have ended and I have started needing PLO's again. I am happy to report I have found almost all of my needs met in my growing TB collection. Sorry to thread jack.
    On your OP, I sent a link to your post to an indigo friendly forum member, so you may be contacted very soon with a potential buyer! I see both sides to the coin. Best of luck in finding the right solution for your travel needs.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    PLO, that's a new one for me, but I love it, and will have to steal it. For 8 years I had a diaper bag of sorts and it carried my personal items too, I lost any sense of my bag identity. Since finding TB, my diperbag carrying days have ended and I have started needing PLO's again. I am happy to report I have found almost all of my needs met in my growing TB collection. Sorry to thread jack.
    On your OP, I sent a link to your post to an indigo friendly forum member, so you may be contacted very soon with a potential buyer! I see both sides to the coin. Best of luck in finding the right solution for your travel needs.
    Thanks so much for the contact, dorayme. And by all means, feel free to "steal" PLO!

Well, thanks to dorayme for her matchmaking service! My Indigo Tri-Star is now on its way to its new owner: I won't name names, in case this person would like to remain anonymous. (Because let's face it, TB doesn't make bags in Indigo anymore, and it is a sumptuous color that inspires envy.) I admit to a pang: I really liked the Tri-Star, and I love Indigo, so it's sad to let it go. But I think once my Navy/Solar Aeronaut arrives, my Tri-Star would feel lonely and neglected, so it's going to a happier home. Of course, the ideal thing would be if TB made an Indigo Aeronaut, but that's only a dream.

And I still have my Indigo Synapse, and Imago, and Side Effect, and 3D Clear Organizer Cube, so I'm not completely bereft.
    dorayme likes this.

ncb4 I was tempted to adopt your Indigo Tri-Star, but like you I prefer the Aeronaut (except mine is on my wishlist). I have a feeling who the new owner is of your beautiful Indigo Tri-Star so I know they'll LOVE it!
    ncb4 likes this.
    Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV), Organizer Pouches ( Dyneema, Cordura, Cork - various size & colors), FoJ Pouch, FoT Pouch, 2011 TB Mystery gift(Cork pouch), 2012 Mystery Gift (Forest/ Steel) Pocket Pouch, Sm Yarn Stuff Sack (UV), Small Shop Bag (Steel), Large Shop Bag (UV), Various Color Key Straps, Side Effect (Steel Dyneema/Wasabi)

There are so many great colors, and so many awesome bags. It's hard to make those tough choices and limit oneself to just the needs. Kudos to you ncb4 for being able to let go. I'm struggling with that right now. Im happy for your indigo recipient. I know in a few days when it lands much squeezing and wooting will be going on at its arrival.
    ncb4 and TXGirl like this.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Squee, squee, squee! Woot, woot, woot!

I am now the proud owner of @ncb4's Indigo Tri-Star and I couldn't be happier. It's exactly what I hoped it would be! Now that the boys are all asleep (including the big boy, it seems) I can play "Let's pack for a trip to New Zealand! Now let's pack for a trip to Paris! Now let's go to the moon!" I think I might carry it to work tomorrow, just because I love it so and not because I have that much stuff to carry. :-)

An Aeronaut is on my wish list, too. I'm going to be patient and continue trolling eBay and Craigslist to see if an Indigo one shows up. I'm also still waiting for Sapphire Dyneema. I have faith that if I live a good and moral life and eat my vegetables, the bags I want will find me. It worked for the Tri-Star! Thank you thank you thank you a million zillion times over, @ncb4!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Squee, squee, squee! Woot, woot, woot!

I am now the proud owner of @ncb4's Indigo Tri-Star and I couldn't be happier. It's exactly what I hoped it would be! Now that the boys are all asleep (including the big boy, it seems) I can play "Let's pack for a trip to New Zealand! Now let's pack for a trip to Paris! Now let's go to the moon!" I think I might carry it to work tomorrow, just because I love it so and not because I have that much stuff to carry. :-)

An Aeronaut is on my wish list, too. I'm going to be patient and continue trolling eBay and Craigslist to see if an Indigo one shows up. I'm also still waiting for Sapphire Dyneema. I have faith that if I live a good and moral life and eat my vegetables, the bags I want will find me. It worked for the Tri-Star! Thank you thank you thank you a million zillion times over, @ncb4!
    You have brought a HUGE smile to my face this morning, Janine! Being good and eating your vegetables seems to have worked so far: you found your Indigo Girl! So be patient and who knows what Aeronaut may find its way home to you.

I love your game, "Now let's pack for a trip to New Zealand, or Paris, or the moon!" I think everyone here on the forum will join you in that particular game.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0