Like Tree21Likes
  • 8 Post By Snowster
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By peregrina
  • 4 Post By Snowster
  • 1 Post By Snowster
  • 2 Post By backpack
  • 4 Post By Snowster

Thread: A Life Nomadic and the discovery of Tom Bihn are slowly changing my life.

A Life Nomadic and the discovery of Tom Bihn are slowly changing my life.

Today I finished my packlist. It's about 20 items long, and will all fit in the Synapse bag no problem.

I'm going to be living out of the Synapse from March until October of next year, and travelling from Seattle to Vancouver to Western Europe to New Zealand.

And none of this would be possible if I didn't stumble onto Mr. Bihn's products about 3 months ago.

Thank you for helping to make my dreams possible.

Wow! That sounds like the trip of a lifetime. Congratulations on getting to do it! What's your packing list? I can't imagine packing in only a Synapse for several months!
    Indigo/Solar Western Flyer, Aubergine/Steel Tri Star, Nordic/Steel Aeronaut, Indigo/Solar Synapse, Cocoa/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Wasabi Small Cafe Bag, Black/Steel Co-Pilot, Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago, Wasabi Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Small Shop Bags, Solar Dyneema and Nordic Dyneema Large Shop Bags, Indigo, Wasabi Dyneema, and Plum 3D Organizer Cubes, Wasabi Dyneema Travel Tray, Wasabi Dyneema Large Yarn Stuff Sack, Small, Mini and Pen/Pencil Pouches, an assortment of key straps

Wow. I continue to be impressed by those who can travel with just a Synapse. I have one, and it's small! Congratulations!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

So, are you just going to tease us or will there be a packing list forthcoming?

Your upcoming travels sound terrific. Very enviable.

Also, need info on where you will be staying—e.g., houses or apartments with toiletries and a washing machine?

wow, that's amazing. You give me hope that I can do the camino de santiago with just a synapse or something of a similar size...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Back home, so here's my packing list.

Clothing:

2x Icebreaker 150 t-shirts
    1x Icebreaker anatomica brief
    2x pair of smartwool socks
    Icebreaker Sprint Shorts
    Smartwool liner gloves
    Smartwool hat
    icebreaker wool leggings
    arcteryx delta sv fleece
    montane superfly shell

I'm wearing another icebreaker shirt and undos and a pair of chinos to the airport with my shoes and so on.

Electronics:

Sony vaio YB notebook
    Canon S100 camera
    Kindle
    Samsung 4G LTE Modem
    Chargers and what not.
    iPod nano for jogging.

Thats mostly it. Ill have a toiletries bag I wont go into but everything fits in a Synapse fine.
    Last edited by Snowster; 12-19-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    Also, need info on where you will be staying—e.g., houses or apartments with toiletries and a washing machine?
    Where you stay is very important. With this style of travel, I'm going to be staying in Hostels for up to 5 days initially, then living in an apartment or sublease until my 2 months in each place is up.
    123veo likes this.

Wow, this topic kind of blew up.

Well, I've got my finalized packing list ready! I'm taking 3 pair of underwear, 2 T-Shirts (wearing a long sleeved shirt to the airport), a pair of workout shorts, 3 pair of socks, and some cold weather gear. For electronics, I'm taking my Lenovo X120E, my Panasonic GF2, my Kindle, and my Galaxy Nexus. That's pretty much it: I'll bring cords and chargers and such.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get a Synapse for this lifestyle change (YET!): I received an Arc'Teryx Blade 24 for Christmas and I'm going to use it at first. Rest assured, there will be many Tom Bihn products inside it though

Follow my blog if you want: Techno Nomad

@snowster: Looking forward to your updates! The packing list is impressive and I have to say challenging for my next 2 week work trip to Ireland and New Zealand. Love a good packing challenge!!

As for the Synapse? I've started commuting to work by train (instead of driving), so the trusty Synapse is getting a new workout.
    Oh how I love this bag!! It really is a revelation in packing efficiency.
    The only hitch is that my Synapse is Steel/Solar, and it's now available in Ultraviolet- and of course I just *love* purple. So, I'm trying to convince Hubby that he needs a pre-loved Steel / Solar Synapse for his bike commute to work. :-D

@notmensa: There is no law that says that you can't have more than one of any Tom Bihn Bag in each of the configurations that suits you needs or ... wants.

My husband was assigned my Steel Brain Bag when, a long time ago, it became available in Indigo, I had missed out on a Purple one so I was determined to get it as well as an Indigo Steel LCB.

It was my first color-coded order and I got a plethora of Pouches in the same order.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-31-2012 at 07:01 AM.

I couldn't really wait, so I sold my Blade 24 for the price of a Synapse on Craigslist. Got a Steel/Solar Synapse coming to me right now with 4 organizer pouches and a 3D Clear Organizer.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0