• 2 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By Lani
  • 1 Post By thorn

Thread: New: Travel Money Belt

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

New: Travel Money Belt

<a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0935"></a>
    <p></p>
    The <strong><a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0935">Travel Money Belt</a></strong> is a simple and clever way to discreetly carry cash, traveler's cheques and/or a photocopy of your passport. It's made of 1-1/4" / 32mm heavy nylon webbing with a simple plastic buckle, which means no moving parts to break. Concealed on the underside of the belt is a 20" / 500mm #3.5 YKK coil zipper with a plastic zipper slider. The pocket created by the zipper can hold up to 15 US $100 bills: three stacks of five bills, folded into thirds or quarters. Because the Travel Money Belt has no metal parts, you can wear it through some airport security checkpoints (not Advanced Imaging Technology, though.)
    <p></p>
    $20. In sizes Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large (want a bigger size? <a href="mailto:customerservice@tombihn.com">Email</a> or call us and we'll make one for you.) <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0935">Available for pre-order</a>; ships by December 2nd.
    <p></p>
    <a href="http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0935"></a>
    Last edited by Darcy; 11-28-2011 at 07:46 AM.
    Katy and Maria like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    this is totally cool!

i notice that folks with metal belt buckles are asked to remove their belts when they go through airport security, which, the security of your money and travel documents aside, takes time and can be a great inconvenience depending on what else you are wearing - a non-issue with the plastic buckle on the travel money belt!

i was just listening to the news station on the radio here yesterday, and they were talking about the fact that one of the unfortunate things that happens around the holidays is that some people do stupid things like holding people up. they went on to say, and i completely agree, that if you find yourself in a situation where you are being attacked and are asked to hand over your wallet or car or whatever, that the best thing to do is to cooperate. your stuff can probably be replaced, but you and your loved ones can't be replaced.

so this belt is a great for everyday use also - you can keep a few bucks, credit card and id in your tom bihn organizer wallet - that's what you hand over if you find yourself in that unfortunate situation. and if you're carrying a large amount of cash, keep it in your travel money belt!

And through the magic of the internet, my review has already been posted:

Gear Review: Tom Bihn Travel Money*Belt - OBOW Blog - One-bag, carry-on, light travel tips, techniques, and gear
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

For those of us who don't really wear belts - makes me want one, this is still a smart idea not just for travel but for out and about, especially if one is going shopping in a crowded mall at this time of year.

Note - (or "hint hint") wouldn't mind an additional little outer zippered pocket in the passport pouch to carry and access cash / cards without getting the passport pocket opened with the velcro. For those of us that carry that underneath clothing.

Cheers!
    "Buy the best, cry once" - Pasquale

I read this part of the product description and had to laugh:

"Added bonus: it holds your pants up, too."

Hehe.
    Darcy likes this.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Looks similar to the Eagle Creek money belt I wear but it only comes in one size. Started wearing it for a cruise last year and never looked back. It is nice to know the extra is there, just in case. Wore it through regular metal detectors without a prob. I'll stick to these belts always unless I really have a need for some other color of belt (like brown, superhero florescent, or WWE blinding gold).
    Darcy likes this.

Extended sizes...in the other direction?

I noticed that the product listing for the Travel Money Belt mentions that bigger sizes can be made upon request. Is this also true for sizes smaller than the Extra Small (26"-28")? Or is there a constraint from one of the components used to make the belt that makes the smallest possible size 26"? If not, a length from 23"-26" might be useful for some people

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Good point, yeti. I've changed it to: "Want a smaller or bigger size?"
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0