Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: New: Citizen Canine

Hmm. Newfoundlands sound much more useful and helpful than corgis. If I was drowning, Titus would just stare at me, like "I assume this is going to impact the timely delivery of my dinner, isn't it?"

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hmm. Newfoundlands sound much more useful and helpful than corgis. If I was drowning, Titus would just stare at me, like "I assume this is going to impact the timely delivery of my dinner, isn't it?"
    Yeah, I'm not thinking my Spinone Italiano is going to be much use rescuing me from a lake either, but she is at least very helpful in pointing out where a bird, squirrel, or even a leaf or pine cone is sitting on the ground. The most precious thing I've ever seen might have been her at about 9 weeks of age locking into a solid point--perfectly straight line from the tip of her nose all the way to the tip of her tail, leaned forward slightly, one front paw raised--aiming at a stick that was a few feet in front of her in the middle of our street.

She is also particularly good at storing and dispensing water from her beard. I suppose that could be of some use in a survival situation. Just let her dunk her head in a creek, hold her head up, put your own head below hers, and then drink the cups of water that pour out of her beard... Nah... maybe not.
    ncb4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    She is also particularly good at storing and dispensing water from her beard. I suppose that could be of some use in a survival situation. Just let her dunk her head in a creek, hold her head up, put your own head below hers, and then drink the cups of water that pour out of her beard... Nah... maybe not.
    I can't stop laughing. And we need photos of your "bearded woman." I had to Google Spinone Italiano, as I didn't know what they looked like. It sounds like they are pretty big dogs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    Yeah, I'm not thinking my Spinone Italiano is going to be much use rescuing me from a lake either, but she is at least very helpful in pointing out where a bird, squirrel, or even a leaf or pine cone is sitting on the ground. The most precious thing I've ever seen might have been her at about 9 weeks of age locking into a solid point--perfectly straight line from the tip of her nose all the way to the tip of her tail, leaned forward slightly, one front paw raised--aiming at a stick that was a few feet in front of her in the middle of our street.
    That is what she was bred to do, right?

Corgis were bred to herd cattle, but ours just lie about like hairy beached whales, stare at us, and bark at things they don't understand (like fire hydrants, and Shakira).
    Maria and brian like this.

Just being adorable, and gracing you with his presence, is the useful function Titus serves. And of course from his point of view, what matters is how useful YOU are.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    Just being adorable, and gracing you with his presence, is the useful function Titus serves. And of course from his point of view, what matters is how useful YOU are.
    Titus doesn't think much of me, I'm pretty sure. Both of the dogs are in love with Mrs B., however. They will condescend to take food from me.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I can't stop laughing. And we need photos of your "bearded woman." I had to Google Spinone Italiano, as I didn't know what they looked like. It sounds like they are pretty big dogs, too.
    Unfortunately, I have no pictures of the full effect of the dripping beard, but here are three of her in a field at sunset last weekend--one so you can see her face, one so you can see her build, and one that's just a pretty shot. She'd been running around a good bit by that time and was finally starting to slow down. She's about mid-thigh on me--5'9"--and ~65 pounds. She's a little over a year old, so not much growing left, if any. So definitely nothing like a newf. More like the taller less stocky labs or a Weimeraner. They're built to deal with thick brush in upland areas and for covering a lot of ground at the trot over a full day. She's not the quickest puppy, but her trot really does cover a pretty decent amount of ground with fairly little effort. She has enormous webbed paws and very stout bones in her front legs especially. Her coat sits much flatter than a lot of Spinone, which means lower maintenance for us. We just have to brush her every once in a while and pull looser hairs by hand when she's shedding out a seasonal "coat". With the wire coat, we only bathe her when she gets into something bad or when she's stinky--I think that's only been 4 or 5 times in a year of her living here, and at least 2 or 3 of those were because she stepped in some poo and managed to get it all over herself in her playful puppy exuberance.

Name:  ella sitting in field -- 480.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  94.4 KBName:  ella standing in field -- 640.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  143.2 KBName:  ella field sunset -- 640.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  115.6 KB

That is what she was bred to do, right?
    Well, pointing at the birds yes. The leaves, pine cones and sticks? Not so much. :-D But yes, her instinct for pointing is every bit as strong as the newfs instinct to pull people out of the water.

Corgis were bred to herd cattle, but ours just lie about like hairy beached whales, stare at us, and bark at things they don't understand (like fire hydrants, and Shakira).
    LOL... Corgis are such fun. Big dogs with little legs.
    ncb4 and Maria like this.

Lovely wire haired pointer (Braque) girl. Besides being a gorgeous example of her breed, what is she like as a being? Calm, allover the place, quiet or signing or talkative, is she a snuggler or more reserved girl?

Please tell us more and if you have some, can you share pictures of her as a puppy?

As you can see Darcy's announcement of the Dog Owner's bag or CLF bag has not dampened my fascination with Canis Lupus Familiaris.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Lovely wire haired pointer (Braque) girl. Besides being a gorgeous example of her breed, what is she like as a being? Calm, allover the place, quiet or signing or talkative, is she a snuggler or more reserved girl?

Please tell us more and if you have some, can you share pictures of her as a puppy?

As you can see Darcy's announcement of the Dog Owner's bag or CLF bag has not dampened my fascination with Canis Lupus Familiaris.
    OK, IE might have just eaten a fairly long reply I had just composed. So while I wait to see if that IE window can recover itself without me losing what I had typed, I'm going to try to post just some photos and a link to some additional ones of her litter from birth to ~7 weeks of age on the breeder's website.

First the link: Ella's litter photos

Then the photos of her at ~2 1/2 months of age and two of her in the 7-8 month range...

Name:  ella pup1.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  164.4 KBName:  ella toddler 1.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  158.9 KBName:  ella lapdog.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  265.8 KB
    Last edited by autolycus; 11-18-2011 at 08:45 AM.

longer response...

Well, sure enough, IE died, and I had thought it ate my longer post. However, joy of joys, the "recover last session" actually worked and even still had my longer message still intact. I've taken out the actual photos since they're in another post already. There is a comment about the pictures toward the bottom, where I originally intended to attach them.....

We picked her breed because of their temperament, and she seems to fit it to a T. They generally have all the stereotypical characteristics of sporting dogs: intelligent, teachable, loyal, good with other dogs and animals, good with adults and children, etc. But Spinone are by far the most relaxed of the pointers. While GSPs, German Wire-hairs, Weimeraners, Viszlas, etc. are all wonderful breeds, they're far too high energy for us.

Her name is Ella, shortened Gabriella, for both our favorite restaurant from a trip to Italy the spring before we got her, and for the fact that she was born in the evening to begin the Feast Day of St. Gabriel--the proper liturgical calendar, like the Jewish calendar has the "day" actually starting at sunset and running through the next day and ending with sunset, so Easter, for instance, is often treated as starting Saturday evening and running through Sunday at sunset. It was just too big of a coincidence to pass on. My wife, however, insisted that we not shorten it to Gabby, out of a belief that dogs, cats, horses, and children are destined to grow into their name.

She's timid but curious, loves all people, especially kids--and she seems to even be able to tell the difference between full-size teenagers and adults from a distance. She's a total goofball and does summersaults while trying to scratch her head or back on the ground. She has a beautiful and efficient trot such that my equestrienne wife refers to her as a "daisy cutter" and a very bouncy, excited "run". Her ears are as soft as the softest velvet you could possibly imagine--and boy do they fly up and down when she runs... they look like little wings sometimes. She's definitely a snuggler and wants to be close to her family. Her eyes are large, very expressive, and almost human, and are a greenish-yellow-hazel color that the breeder called "okra". She's still a puppy--as I said, just 13 1/2 months old--so she's still got quite a lot of energy and stamina, but after a walk or long play session she quite enjoys laying on the couch next to her mommy or laying on a old comforter we have on the floor as a makeshift doggie-only "couch", chewing on a deer antler, himalayan dog treat, or a bully stick. I don't think she's got an aggressive bone in her body. She loves her big kitty brother and wants to play with him SOOOO badly, even if he wants nothing to do with her. She's fascinated by her big horsey brother and all his friends, but she's still not sure quite what to think of him and doesn't want to get tooo close.

The third photo--with her in my lap--is pretty funny because that day really proved that she's just like her doggie daddy... When we first picked her up as a wee little puppy, I was sitting in a chair discussing things with the breeder, and meeting our girl's doggie daddy--the first Spinone I'd actually "met". After a few seconds of me patting and scratching him, he put a front paw on my lap, then his other front paw, and after another 10 seconds or so of him staring at me kindly, I noticed a third paw starting to slip up onto my leg. I wasn't really ready for all 80 pounds of him to be in my lap, so I had to deny him, but it was good foreshadowing... So fast forward to May... My wife was at a horse show, and Ella and I stopped by to show our support--and of course to let Ella see the amazingly exciting world of a horse show with tons of people, doggies and horses. She was getting pooped after a couple hours of excitement and the Georgia heat. She'd been laying down on the ground but at some point decided that the ground just wasn't comfortable enough. So I got a front paw, then the other, then a loving stare for a few moments, and the next thing I knew she had boosted herself right into my lap.
    ncb4 likes this.

I LOVE dogs. Well, I love all animals, but I just melt when I see doggies! The local farmer's market always has a little pet adoption tent they set up on one end, so I get to visit with dogs. I get all teary-eyed and happy just to be around them. You know how some women get all weepy cooing at babies because they have a biological clock that ticks? That's not me. But I do get that way with dogs. I love them! Thank you so much for this thread. What a wonderful chance to get to meet so many of your pooches!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

To get the thread back on topic--sorry for being a prime offender!

I'm very curious about this bag. I don't know how interested I am in it, but I will definitely take a good look at the design and features to see if it's something I can use. We have the dispenser of solid canine output collectors attached to the leash handle for now, and that works well, but something different might work better. The bag might be a nice option for when I take Ella to the barn and are walking in the field, especially if it's big enough for a tennis ball and/or a wadded up leash. She has to stay on leash at the barn, so I carry a regular leash and a 30-ft one for around the barn and then in the field, respectively. When I'm in the field, somewhere to shove the regular leash would be good.

And of course something to put a zip-lock bag full of our high-motivating treats would be great during training. I can put cookies in my pocket, but cheese or bits of chicken or hot dog just don't work well in jean pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yeah... if someone figures out a cool/elegant way to describe poo bags and how they're stored, please share that with me.

No o-rings -- it's not really a big enough bag to have things clipped inside of it.
    Will the wallet fit in with my iPhone?
    Another happy owner of the Aeronaut, Sm & Lg packing cube, convertible packing cube, Absolute packing strap. Also travel with Ballistic Imago w/2 sm organizer pouches and style kit. Swift with extra key straps, organizer pouches and my quarter packing cube. Holiday Med. Ultrasuede® pouch, all 3 sizes of Stuff Bags, various key straps. I love them all!

Aha! I remembered to come back & post my plea for o-rings. We use a small stuff sack to hold the filled bags (hanging out of the small cafe bag) when we're out, so we can just dump the contents of the stuff sack into our outside garbage when we get home, then wipe the stuff sack. Unless we're right outside our apartment -- in which case, we probably won't have the cafe bag & will just have a mini organizer pouch with a roll of bags & a few treats -- we need that stuff sack clipped to the bag!
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black (C) & black/UV & aubergine/UV (B) Side Effects, steel/UV Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive (C) & black/UV (D) LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/UV (C) & steel/UV (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post

More later...
    More soon, please. I need one now for me and one for a Christmas gift! Plus we have a great response over in Ravelry.
    Another happy owner of the Aeronaut, Sm & Lg packing cube, convertible packing cube, Absolute packing strap. Also travel with Ballistic Imago w/2 sm organizer pouches and style kit. Swift with extra key straps, organizer pouches and my quarter packing cube. Holiday Med. Ultrasuede® pouch, all 3 sizes of Stuff Bags, various key straps. I love them all!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0