Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By Darcy

Thread: Can't wait for Tom comments about carrying a 30+ pound (14kg) Brain Bag. :)

Can't wait for Tom comments about carrying a 30+ pound (14kg) Brain Bag. :)

On September 30th on the Blog: "...you'll get some straight talk from me about carrying 30+ pounds (14 kgs) of camera gear and more in a Brain Bag for two six mile (10 kilometers) hikes in high-desert sun and wind. -- Tom"

I can't wait!

Note that this is my customary carry-on bag and it weight about the same. I only use it at airports and urban environments.

Sadly, that's less than the weight of my backpack in high school, which was almost half my weight! I still can't believe I used to carry so much of my weight when, now, a fifth of my weight seems heavy.
    I have : many pouches & wallets & 3D Cubes & CQPCs & Stuff Sacks & Shop Bags, plum & black Side Effects, steel/ultraviolet Citizen Canine, black FJN, plum/wasabi SCB, Cork Little Swift, black/steel Co-Pilot, old plum/olive LCB, plum/black (C) Swift, old plum/olive (C) Imago, old plum/wasabi Ruck's Sac, steel WF/TS PCB, plum/solar & black/ultraviolet (C) & steel/ultraviolet (D) Synapses, black/iberian Smart Alec, steel Brain Bag.

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    Sadly, that's less than the weight of my backpack in high school, which was almost half my weight! I still can't believe I used to carry so much of my weight when, now, a fifth of my weight seems heavy.
    I did not dare weight my high school briefcases and college hard case briefcase and luggage, not mentioning my purse.

My best purse, strangely, looked a lot like the Imago but, unlike the Imago, the strap was awful and the fabric very cheap.

During those times, I was desperate to find something practical and lightweight.

In the late 80's, I got my first backpack which I still own and it was such a relief to carry most of the classroom weight on my back.
    I still have it, It is purple and black but the ergonomics are not really good.

At the time, in France, ladies did not carry backpack and I got much flack and ridicule, especially since I started wearing khakis at the same time.

I moved to the U.S, a little later, and fit right in.

I moved really close to Santa Cruz but missed Tom's early years there and much of the downtown Seattle era.

Finding Tom Bihn Inc products have been one of the greatest blessing. I need my stuff but I want the carrying to be beneficial, as in, build muscle tone and bone strength but not cause undue strain on my joints.

To that effect, I am migrating my everyday load to a Small Cafe Bag/Synapse duo. I will most probably use a Co-Pilot/Synapse duo or/and a Field Journal/Synapse duo if I need either more space or try to go minimalist (a big leap for me).
    Last edited by backpack; 10-10-2011 at 11:06 PM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Tom's post is coming soon!
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

TOM BIHN Blog - The Camera Insert Update: Part 2 (Using it with the Brain Bag on hikes)

Tom, thank you for the great pointers on the Brain Bag and the Camera Insert. It was nice of you to share your childhood picture.

Darcy, your pictures are stunning!

I especially love the pictures of Tom wearing both bags, it will help people see the scale of each one on somebody of his stature and they can extrapolate taking their own height and width into account.

You really know how to capture the beauty of nature!

My two favorites are the Bighorn Sheep ewe and the Night Sky.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0