Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Introducing the Cadet laptop briefcase

I, too, love my Co-Pilot black/iberian. It and my Little Swift cacao ultrasuede are my regular go-to-work bags. Occasionally, I may need to carry more than my usual load, then I use my Imago steel/cork/wasabi or Swift cork.

I do not carry a laptop, mac, ipad or tablet to work. Still, I wished my Co-Pilot was a little longer & a little taller. I do understand that my primary use of it is NOT what it was designed for - personal carry-on bag for airline travel.

If I had to use a briefcase for work, I like the larger cadet, to be able to carry legal size folders. I do not need a briefcase in my job, so I am content admiring the Cadets & reading about how owners use them. But if Tom Bihn & crew made them in black/ultraviolet combo, I will buy one just because.

Interestingly, while I like the looks of the Co-Pilot, I haven't been totally interested in getting one-- it just doesn't fill a need for me. My Imago can do whatever I personally would ask of a Co-Pilot type bag. However, I DO need a small briefcase type of laptop bag, so the Cadet seems like it will fill a need I have perfectly.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Jenne, I feel similarly about the Co-Pilot and my Imago. Maybe when I have a different laptop I will feel differently.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    rabergnc, what color is your little Cadet? Can't wait to hear about how you like it...on TUESDAY! That's awesome!
    The Cadet actually arrived today... a day early!!! Black and Iberian is a striking combination in person. The workmanship is, as usual, excellent - no loose threads or sewing problems I can spot. It is deceptively small (just like the co-pilot - remember this is the smaller Cadet for an 11 inch MacBook Air. The Air fits easily in the bag with a cache (I already owned). Interestingly, the laptop compartment is, as advertised, padded on the front, back and bottom. Those who are brave could conceivably carry a laptop naked - I am not so brave. The laptop compartment is large enough to hold standard letter size folders/files along with the computer in a cache. There is also room for my Kindle in a cover - I prefer reading on a Kindle to a laptop or iPad, and a folding bluetooth keyboard for when I take only my iPad. The Apple wireless keyboard would easily fit as well. (An iPad - or any tablet - will easily fit in any case/cover you can imagine.)

The front compartment has plenty of room for a number of medium pouches (I have a small and medium I use regularly. On my trip I will be using a FOT pouch which will hold a Mophie case for my iPhone. There is plenty of room for a number of writing implements, small size chargers and cables, business cards, in-ear headphones, and the like. At this point, my only disappointment is the very front compartment in that it truly is sized pretty much for only a phone. I would like a somewhat larger compartment but that's me - never satisfied.

As you might guess, at first blush, I am really pleased with the Cadet (not to mention the fast delivery - thanks again TB folks). If the opportunity comes up I will take a photo or two on the trip when the bag is fully loaded - probably on the way back when I have added more that I have accumulated at my meeting.

Hurray, rabergnc! A day early! It doesn't get much better than that! Please do post a few pics at some time, because I'm strongly considering the "baby" Cadet in either black/iberian or cardinal/steel. A quick q, could you fit a standard size plastic water bottle in either of the compartments in addition to the items you mentioned?

I am afraid there would be no room for a water bottle with all the cr*$ I noted. With a carefully chosen set of items, you might be able to fit a water bottle in the laptop compartment but it would be a tight fit.
    gonty likes this.

Two more questions for those of you that already have the Cadet 13/15.

1. Is the Cache hard to attach/detach from the laptop compartment for those times when you don't need to carry the laptop?

2. If someone already has one of the regular Caches, should they stick with that and skip the new Cadet Cache, or go ahead and get the Cadet Cache for the feature of being able to secure it in the Cadet?
    Aeronaut in Black/Iberian, Synapse in Black/Iberian, Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Steel, 4Z Horizontal Cache in Black, iPad Vertical Cache in Black, 3D Organizer Cube in Steel, Large Clear Organizer in Pouch Iberian, Medium Clear Organizer Pouch in Iberian, Mini Padded Organizer Pouch in Black, Mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian, 16" Key Strap in Sapphire, 8" Key Strap in Storm

Volunteer Moderator
    hi Scattered!

Quote Originally Posted by Scattered View Post
    Two more questions for those of you that already have the Cadet 13/15.

1. Is the Cache hard to attach/detach from the laptop compartment for those times when you don't need to carry the laptop?
    no - it's as easy using the gatekeeper clips on any tom bihn bag.

2. If someone already has one of the regular Caches, should they stick with that and skip the new Cadet Cache, or go ahead and get the Cadet Cache for the feature of being able to secure it in the Cadet?
    you could certainly use an existing cache that you have, but you would lose the checkpoint friendly feature of having the cadet cache secured to your cadet when you go through airport security.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    might be able to fit a water bottle in the laptop compartment but it would be a tight fit.
    Ouch, just reading "water bottle in the laptop compartment" set off alarm bells in my head, and they are loud!

Maverick - Thank you for the answer. I only fly a few times per year, so was debating the merits of possibly saving a few dollars and just using the Horizontal Cache I already own, if I do decide to go with the Cadet. By the way, I believe I've watched all your TB videos and I've found them quite useful. Thanks again.
    Aeronaut in Black/Iberian, Synapse in Black/Iberian, Small Cafe Bag in Linen/Steel, 4Z Horizontal Cache in Black, iPad Vertical Cache in Black, 3D Organizer Cube in Steel, Large Clear Organizer in Pouch Iberian, Medium Clear Organizer Pouch in Iberian, Mini Padded Organizer Pouch in Black, Mini Organizer Pouch in Iberian, 16" Key Strap in Sapphire, 8" Key Strap in Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Ouch, just reading "water bottle in the laptop compartment" set off alarm bells in my head, and they are loud!
    I second that thought! Especially since I've been known to be a bit challenged when screwing on bottle caps on occasion!

I'm still having a hard time getting a real handle on the difference in size between the two versions. The easy answer is to order both and return one, but further descriptions of just how small the 11 is would be helpful. I'm looking for a slim, unobtrusive case. The one I have now is too thick and boxy. The larger Cadet appeals to my innate desire to overpack, but I worry it will be too big. (I don't have laptop concerns at the moment.)

Volunteer Moderator
    Maverick - Thank you for the answer. I only fly a few times per year, so was debating the merits of possibly saving a few dollars and just using the Horizontal Cache I already own, if I do decide to go with the Cadet. By the way, I believe I've watched all your TB videos and I've found them quite useful. Thanks again.
    thank tom bihn and crew! if tom wasn't designing these awesome bags, and the team weren't sewing them and getting them shipped out, i wouldn't have anything to film!
    -m

I second that thought! Especially since I've been known to be a bit challenged when screwing on bottle caps on occasion!
    I agree that a water bottle next to a laptop is a bad idea - just answering the question I was asked.

RE: a non-cadet cache - That's what I plan to use. To date, I have not had to remove my MBAir (11 inch) from my bag going through security. With some luck, that will continue!

Unless I don't understand the concept fully,the fact that the Cache stays connected to the Cadet does not seem like a huge feature to me?

It's not as if the Cache tries to levitate and fly away without me or something and I never let my guard down when in the line with everything out there being inspected anyway.

So if the Air is allowed to stay inside the Cadet it makes no difference at all if connected to the Cadet and if it is pulled out and looked at it is more complicated to explain and send through the machine if it is connected?

I guess I just don't get it?

It seems either way I am just pulling the computer out,putting it in a Tub and then being attentive like a Hawk till it has returned to the bag.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0