Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Introducing the Cadet laptop briefcase

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i loved the size of the 11", but my eyes are getting older and the 13" provides a good compromise.

i think i would be tempted by a 15" macbook air.

it's funny that the weight of the 17" seems so unreasonable now - we are so spoiled! i had a toshiba tecra back in the day that probably weighed 8 lbs and was over 2" thick!

You are right there!
    I have a Toughbook I carry too that is armoured,really and needs no case. In fact it laughs at and mocks all cases and it weighs in at about 7.5lbs I think. Completely out of line!

I too love the 11" but need more space and can't really see it but I love it for email and surfing with my nose almost touching the screen.

The 13" seems perfect to me and I did even have a new one heavily modified and ready to go when I got back home but the key transfer was such a pain and the 17" is so nice that I think I will just learn to love it.....maybe?

I have not bought the Mac Truck yet for it which is when I know it will be a keeper for sure. I am also a little worried a 17" Mac Truck may be what it takes to kill the Super Ego and I don't want to see that happen.

Oh why does it have to be this tough?

Ed

Back this summer I read something on TUAW that the next 15" MBP would be ultra-thin and ultra-light. That would be pretty nice!

I have no reason whatsoever to upgrade my personal laptop yet, but when I get my two new work computers next year I'm tempted to make one of them an 11" MBA with Thunderbolt. The best of both worlds, IMO. The MBP can get a little heavy when I travel, for sure.

As an aside: maverick, what color Cadet did you get?
    jeffmac likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    As an aside: maverick, what color Cadet did you get?
    forrest / steel

The 15" is a little bigger than I wanted, but I really wanted the matte screen, which doesn't come in 13". My elderly laptop was beginning to fail, so it was time.

To answer the question not asked yet: Steel/ solar.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    The 15" is a little bigger than I wanted, but I really wanted the matte screen, which doesn't come in 13". My elderly laptop was beginning to fail, so it was time.

To answer the question not asked yet: Steel/ solar.
    Matte screen FTW. I had to special order my MBP because I couldn't get the internal specs I wanted + the matte screen. In addition to the matte screen, which I find helps avoid eye strain, I've found a nifty little piece of software called F.lux which reduces the amount of blue light your screen emits. This is supposed to help with LED-induced insomnia. There are versions for OSX, Linux, and Windows (even Vista!).

Steel/solar looks great! (Hell, they all look great. grumble, grumble.)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Matte screen FTW. I had to special order my MBP because I couldn't get the internal specs I wanted + the matte screen. In addition to the matte screen, which I find helps avoid eye strain, I've found a nifty little piece of software called F.lux which reduces the amount of blue light your screen emits. This is supposed to help with LED-induced insomnia. There are versions for OSX, Linux, and Windows (even Vista!).

Steel/solar looks great! (Hell, they all look great. grumble, grumble.)
    That program is so cool!! Thanks! I do have insomnia, so I hope it will help!

My previous laptop was matte screen-- I bought it right before the trend for super shiny, glossy screens hit. Husband has glossy screen and I hate even looking over his shoulder at it! (Funny it doesn't bug me on the phone.)
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    Just received the shipping notification for an 11in MBAir Cadet. Will be here next Thursday - the joys of living on the opposite side of the country! Worst part is I will be out of town and not be qble to see and play with it until the following Monday......
    rabergnc, what color is your little Cadet? Can't wait to hear about how you like it...on TUESDAY! That's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    rabergnc, what color is your little Cadet? Can't wait to hear about how you like it...on TUESDAY! That's awesome!
    Black/Iberian - my first black Bihn bag!! A brief note on Tuesday following by a longer one either mid-trip or post-trip depending on time...may both?
    Last edited by rabergnc; 11-11-2011 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Typos, always typos courtesy of iPad autocorrect.

Congrats on your Cadet. I'll be interested to see what everyone can fit into their little Cadets.

Black/Steel/Wasabi Super Ego, Cardinal/Steel 15"/13" Cadet, Cardinal/Steel Aeronaut, Olive/Cayenne 13" Ristretto, Camera Insert/Outsert, Horizontal Freudian Slip, 13" MBA Cache, Brain Cell for 13" Macbook, Steel Snake Charmer, FoT/FoJ pouch, Organizer Wallet, and more organizer pouches than I can shake a stick at.

Still holding out...

Sorry guys, the Cadet doesn't scratch the itch. I like the size of the iPad version in the pictures, but don't like how big the 15" MacBook version looks. It's overkill for my 13" MacBook Pro. I'm still holding out for a Pilot which (in my dreams) would be a slightly larger version of my Co-Pilot that serves my iPad 2 needs very well. A bit larger and I could carry my 13" MacBook Pro and iPad in a pocket the width of the current Co-Pilot. Sorry to be a party popper...this one just didn't scratch the itch. Just another laptop bag.
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

ShineAgain: Yes: me too. Would like a Co-Pilot with about an inch longer--that should do it. Will fit regular sized paper comfortably; and also the 13inch MacBook Air or Pro. the Cadet looks streamlined and all that, but somehow, it does not catch me. It does feel a bit different for TB designs; and I don't find it as multipurpose as the other bags.

Sigh, I third the opinion. I love the design of the co-pilot so much - it is a brilliant multifunctional design with a very retro-cool look. I'm not really sure which niche the cadet falls. Still waiting for the pilot...

Fourth the opinion. I love my Co-Pilot, I just need it a bit bigger to hold my Macbook Pro 13 inch and then you have the perfect bag. I carry my Co-Pilot everyday to work. I have an ID to carry my Macbook but it is not the same as a Pilot would be. Maybe if we keep suggesting then we can get one. I wrote on this as did some others a while back..

ShineAgain, I can sort of feel your pain that the Cadet doesn't look as tailor-made for the 13" MBP as the 15". However, there are several TB products that I would love to have but don't because they can't accommodate my 15" MBP. Even the Pilot that everyone seems to want would be useless to me if it wasn't big enough for my laptop, but it's not like I don't understand that the Pilot would be useful to many people.

I hope this is taken in the spirit in which it's intended, and not as castigation for not liking the Cadet. I think having a Pilot as part of the TB lineup would be great. However, the Cadet fills an important niche for those folks who need a somewhat formal, minimalist laptop case that doesn't look like it's also an overnighter/lunch box/EDC. To put it another way, it's unique in the TB lineup precisely because of its dedicated function.

No offense received, Badger! I think we're all looking for what works best for our specific needs, that's our bottom line. I happen to be a big-time fan of the Co-Pilot to carry my iPad 2 and much other stuff with me internationally. The thickness of the thing gives me a lot of latitude in use...unfortunately it's just not long enough to carry my 13" MacBook Pro in a Tom Bihn Sleeve. If it were a bit longer, I could carry both iPad and MacBook together nicely! My suspicion is that a large segment of the laptop market (Mac and PC) has migrated toward smaller (13" and less) computers. I think if I were in this business, I would want to know how much of a market there is for 15" vs 13" products and cater manufacturing with that in mind. While it may be 'safer' to build cases that house both 13" and 15" laptops, it's just not as sexy. I have a ton of cases (some Tom stuff included) for 15" laptops; however, I'm hooked on the advantages of 13" for travel. Just my personal thing...a Pilot would be my ultimate go-to bag. The Cadet is nice; but it's not in the Co-Pilot design! Just my two-cents...that and a couple more bucks will get you a cup of coffee!
    I have an Aeronaut (Black/Iberian), Brain Bag (Black/Steel) Smart Alec (Black/Black/Steel), 2 Cadets for iPad (Black/Steel) and (Steel/Solar), 2 Co-Pilots (Steel/Solar) and (Black/Steel), Imago (Black/Black/Steel), plus a Vertical Brain Cell, Vertical Freudian Slip, Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches, 2 RFID Blocking Passport Pouches, iPad Cache, Snake Charmer, Organizer Wallet, and plethora of other accessories! Man,what does it take to get on the FOT list?

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0