Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Friends who are fed up with my "carry-on snobbery"!

Friends who are fed up with my "carry-on snobbery"!

This weekend, my husband and I are taking my mother and are going on a 7-day Alaskan cruise with a huge group of friends.

What gets me all giddy? My mom, on her own without my prodding, has figured out how to pack lightly and not check any luggage! Even though it will be pretty chilly, she is doing a lot of layering to adjust to various weather conditions.

Now, unbeknownst to me (because I honestly don't keep up with social media as much as many of my friends), my husband has apparently been doing a bit of "neener-neenering" with our friends because they are all packing lots of check-in bags.

OK, so most of them are also getting on the ship from an earlier port and will be on the cruise for a total of 13 days.

But you know that that shouldn't make a difference, right? The cruise ships come with full laundromats, and everybody's packing sheets of Purex 3-1-1 laundry sheets (Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets. Laundry Simplified®.).

My husband and I have done a lot of 2-week (or longer) trips with just our Tom Bihn carry-ons. Honestly, once you get beyond packing for 4 days, you just change up the mix-and-match outfits, and wash some of your clothes. No biggie, right?

Well, I made the mistake of posting a mini neener-neener the other day, and I get no fewer than four replies back from my friends... and it's pretty clear that they are pretty fed up with my carry-on attitude, and they all went on the defensive about how many more days they are traveling than us, and how that justifies their big honkin' suitcases.

My husband pulls me aside and says, "We probably shouldn't gloat to our friends about our ability to pack lightly!"

I just replied, "Let's hope they don't lose their luggage!"

Seriously. Have YOU ever had your friends get defensive about not being able to pack lightly?!?
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Lani - cheers to your mother for going carry-on only! Wonderful!

You mentioned friends getting defensive - how about family? Yikes, you think I was suggesting they go without food and water for two weeks.

There was a news article about a full luggage cart that the wind blew into the side of a plane while sitting at the gate and my first thought was "Well, if the passengers had just taken a carry-on instead of having to check their heavy bags...there would not have been a full luggage cart to cause a big hiccup!" Here is a link to the article:

Strong winds blow baggage container into Jetstar plane

I also decided not to mention this news tidbit to any family - for fear they lecture me about my "attitude".

I honestly don't think I get preachy about it, but when a friend asked me my opinion on her huge bag for a five day casual trip - I quietly mention that perhaps 12 pairs of shoes for a five day trip is a little too much....the reaction was one of horror, her jaw just dropped, how could I not understand that she needed options / choices etc. I said how about leaving some room for shopping? That's what I do too (as I try to ease them into it)....but I guess one can always buy an additional suitcase for purchases at the destination?

12 pairs of shoes! Oh my!

Many years ago, a former sister-in-law took a trip to a Christmas family reunion. She was there for a week, and she packed one full-sized suitcase with nothing BUT thick wool sweaters. She didn't want to wear the same thing twice, so she brought SEVEN WOOL SWEATERS. She had no room in that suitcase for anything else, and she had to sit on it to close the latch!! lol

It's crazy what some people pack!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I hate packing shoes. They always take up so much space and they're uncomfortable when they're packed in bags and bash into me when I shift the (non-Tom-Bihn-) bag. Thankfully, with the Aeronaut, there are nicely designed end compartments that safely hold a pair of dress shoes and a pair of slippers. But I hate packing any more footwear than that.

My Dad is also a one-bag traveler, so I get no grief from him!

My friends all converted somewhat when we were traveling together and the airline lost all of their bags. I had mine because I was carrying a Western Flyer. Some still do check a bag, but at least now they carry toiletries and a change of clothes in their carry-ons. And one friend (she of the four pairs of shoes for a week) converted completely to one bagging it and has an Aeronaut on her wishlist.

I try not to lecture, but I see people making traveling harder than it needs to be.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Volunteer Moderator
    You would think the airline fees for checked luggage would have already made the argument in our stead... $35 per bag per flight is $70 per bag per round trip!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I don't think my wife will ever convert till they lose her bag! She says its easy for me as I can hang my bag over the back of my wheelchair and someone else carries it on to the plane, whereas she would have to 'lug' hers herself. She may have a point? I know its heresy but I'd quite like to see an aeronaut with wheels. Still the same shape, still a 'soft bag', using a similar end handle, but rotated 90º (like the tri-star), but with wheels on the 'bottom-end'. I saw a similar arrangement on a bag in Alicante airport this morning. Effectively the bag was just being dragged along the ground, but with a couple of wheels at the bottom.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    You would think the airline fees for checked luggage would have already made the argument in our stead... $35 per bag per flight is $70 per bag per round trip!
    My wife pays £30 ($45) per return trip to check her bag (up to 15Kg). That's £180 ($270) so far this year. I've done twice as many flights and paid ... well, precisely zero! That's paid for my Aeronaut more than twice over (including postage), and its only April!
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I don't think my wife will ever convert till they lose her bag! She says its easy for me as I can hang my bag over the back of my wheelchair and someone else carries it on to the plane, whereas she would have to 'lug' hers herself. She may have a point? I know its heresy but I'd quite like to see an aeronaut with wheels. Still the same shape, still a 'soft bag', using a similar end handle, but rotated 90º (like the tri-star), but with wheels on the 'bottom-end'. I saw a similar arrangement on a bag in Alicante airport this morning. Effectively the bag was just being dragged along the ground, but with a couple of wheels at the bottom.
    Eric, I have been thinking about a very similar concept for a bag, basically a convertible duffel bag/backpack with two wheels. Maybe a rope type handle that forms an inverted Y. The Y would offer some support on the bottom. The wheels could be roller blade type wheels that are very durable and smooth rolling. I know the vast majority of people here don't like bags with wheels, but it's a nice option to have. I have no problem packing very light with the exception of two non-discretionary items, where I take my work laptop 8.5 lbs. with charger, and my large, heavy, specialized CPAP (9.25 lbs, 11.5" x 10" x 6"). I wish I could usually one bag instead of 1 plus personal item. Luckily all my business travel is domestic within the US, so weight isn't a limitation (yet?).

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I used to be of the checked bag mentality because I didn't know any better. Recently I haven't flown much, and the last time I flew I had my baby with me and admittedly took WAY too much stuff. No more babies for me, my kids are 3 and up, and I'm a carry on convert all the way now. I don't have a TB travel bag, yet, but I foresee one in my eventual future. My parents are carry on converts so no need to convince them.

My sister historically travels significantly more than all of us combined and she is not. She like me is also a bagoholic like me, actually more than me. . . I've introduced her to my lovely Swifts, her reaction was, "that's nice." I don't think telling her about one bagging would change anything. She see's herself as experienced at air travel and she likes to check her bags. I will continue traveling like I do, and hopefully one day she will see the benefits of one bagging. I think one of the things that would possibly change her mind would be to see TB luggage in action. She lives in Redmond. . . I hope to visit in 2012, maybe I can <del>drag</del> bring her to the store. . .
    I really, really like TB Bags!

There's a difference between educating people and trying to ram it down their throat.

Just because we like to travel light, does that mean it's the right way for everyone? There are many people who, in general, try to convince others that their way for everything is right, and the others are wrong. My attitude is that we all have to find what is right for us. And what's right for me may not be right for someone else.

Over at OBOW (One Bag, One World)(http://www.1bag1world) we're having a discussion now on whether or not we should really be promoting "one bag travel" and have even more bags being brought on as carry-on, or should we keep the secret for ourselves. The overwhelming response is to keep promoting it.

Recently, I spoke to a group of travel writers and found that not one was a light/one-bag traveler. Every single one of them checked bags. When I mentioned I traveled light and with only one bag, they were interested. However, when I casually gave them a general idea of what I do, the responses I got were:

"I once hitchhiked through Europe, I don't want to do that again." (I've never hitchhiked and in fact, quite often, upgrade to either business or first class)
    "I can afford to take more stuff and stay in nice places." (I stay in nice places as well. I just don't see the need to take lots of extra stuff.)
    "How can I do without my......fill in the blank. (It's usually some specific brand of toiletry that they can't imagine would be found anywhere but in their local area. "What's the brand? Ugh, Crest. Yep, you're right, you'll have trouble finding that in Chicago." Duh.)

But the biggest obstacle I see is the "but what if I need this/just in case" packer. They pack for the worst case scenario not realizing that even in the worst case, they won't need everything their packing.

So, to those who are interested, I spread "the word." To those who aren't, I wish them happy travels and hope they don't try to sneak their over-sized cases on board.
    Last edited by Frank II; 04-28-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I agree on the "preachy" front, it just does not work. I am a new "convert" but when people ask me why, I just share a horror story that was either neatly avoided because I had everything with me, or destroyed a companion's trip.

Any missionary will tell you to live in their culture and wait for them to ask you "why are you so different?" that's when you get the opportunity!

Hmmm I actually get the reverse of this. My office is tired of me going on and on about my Super Ego and the fact that its packed to the gills with anything and everything. Its not my fault Tom invented the Absolute strap!

hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I know its heresy but I'd quite like to see an aeronaut with wheels. Still the same shape, still a 'soft bag', using a similar end handle, but rotated 90º (like the tri-star), but with wheels on the 'bottom-end'. I saw a similar arrangement on a bag in Alicante airport this morning. Effectively the bag was just being dragged along the ground, but with a couple of wheels at the bottom.
    L.L. Bean makes wheeled duffles like this.

My suggestion, if you really want to be able to wheel an Aeronaut, is to consider buying one of those compact luggage carts with telescoping handles. They aren't as easy to find, but they are around. They are small enough that you can just plop it on top of the Aeronaut in the overhead bin.

The biggest problem with the wheel mechanism is that it greatly impacts the capacity of any bag. Secondary to that is the issue of adding more pounds to the bag. If you look on places like eBags, you will see that a typical rolling upright will weigh 4+ more pounds than a comparable pack without wheels. This may not be such an issue for people who never have to leave a paved surface, but they get pretty cumbersome pretty fast.

I remember once, when my husband and I went were at Orlando International, and the elevators weren't running and we couldn't find an escalator nearby. We had to go up two flights of steps. We just hoisted our bags' shoulder straps and started heading on up, while the couple we were traveling with had to pull their rolling uprights up the steps. These were fully packed, heavy bags, and their foreheads had a bit of sheen by the time they got to the top. My husband and I just tittered. Hehe.

I think we should be allowed to be a little smug every now and again, just post here instead of your friend's facebook and you'll be getting verbal pats on the back instead of verbal abuse =)
    jeffmac likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0