Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Friends who are fed up with my "carry-on snobbery"!

I guess I can see it both ways: sometimes (most times), the hassle of checking a bag isn't worth it, but sometimes it's a hassle not to check a bag. I recently attended a 5-day conference and my bag was a daypack. My two colleagues, who had half-size roll-aboards, both had to gate check, and I admit I felt pretty good that I didn't (though ultimately it didn't matter since I had to go to the baggage claim with them anyway).

Later this month, though, I'll be doing a trip that involves formal occasions, including a wedding, and a lot of activities that require specialized garments or equipment; plus, my wife hates hand-carrying luggage. We have an REI Wheely Beast and we're checking that, and I don't care because it will make the overall experience more relaxed.

The only thing I really object to is when people over-pack their hand-carry luggage and then a) can't fit it in the overhead bin properly or b) drop it on my head when they're trying to wrassle it up there.

Even though I edit a site dedicated to one bag travel, and I'm a firm believer in it, there are times when one bag travel won't be enough. Whether it be the need for special clothes, or special equipment, it may happen.

However, if we first "attempt" to do it one bag, then I would say we're still part of the club.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I travel with my Tri-Star and a Imago because it's so easy to make connections to trains, buses, etc. without having to drag a large case around. But, I will admit that sometimes I get tired of washing clothes in the bathroom sink and all the stuff hanging from my impromptu clothes lines at every stop. That's my major downside to packing light.

Edited to add that Fabreeze spray is a must for those who pack light for long trips.
    Last edited by Kinsale; 05-01-2011 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    I agree on the "preachy" front, it just does not work. I am a new "convert" but when people ask me why, I just share a horror story that was either neatly avoided because I had everything with me, or destroyed a companion's trip.

Any missionary will tell you to live in their culture and wait for them to ask you "why are you so different?" that's when you get the opportunity!
    Very well stated Jeffmac!

I should clarify that I don't try to make my choices / opinions obvious to others when I feel my way is better / easier / correct, no one likes a bore. But I have gotten strange looks and the typical "Is that all you are taking?" when friends / family see me with one carry on bag and they are carting two suitcases. Or when I would be asked to help a family member with their packing, and I would try to say it nicely "Do you think you'll use two bathrobes for the weekend or perhaps we can pack just one?" type question, then they can get frustrated with me. Alas, I presume part of it is the stress of the upcoming trip, having to pack, knowing the burden of what they want to bring wtih them, etc.

I once went to Europe for a formal function and had to bring three formal dresses, did it carry-on only. It was a real pain. Checking a bag would have been easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria View Post
    I have gotten strange looks and the typical "Is that all you are taking?" when friends / family see me with one carry on bag and they are carting two suitcases. Or when I would be asked to help a family member with their packing, and I would try to say it nicely "Do you think you'll use two bathrobes for the weekend or perhaps we can pack just one?" type question, then they can get frustrated with me.
    Maria, are your relatives my wife by any chance? Or my mom and dad?

I totally agree that over-packing can be symptomatic of pre-traveling stress, and once I realized that (gasp) not everyone loves making packing lists, editing the list, and actually packing, I've calmed down a lot. Things have been easier, too, since I started finding us places to stay with easy access to laundry facilities, and when we agreed that if we ever really needed something that was left at home we could go out and buy it.

For years and years, I was the one with the huge checked bag(s) because of all my grad school research materials. Truly, the Kindle app and easy-to-annotate PDFs have been a godsend.
    Last edited by Badger; 05-01-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Maria, are your relatives my wife by any chance? Or my mom and dad?
    It's a small world Badger - we may be cousins and together be the "black sheep" of the family due to how we pack compared to the others!

Toothpaste is available in other cities, and as many people enjoy shopping in a new city / location - you'd think that the opportunity would be perfect: "Oh I need more such and such...better go buy one!"

I've underpacked and done just that...saving room in my bag for foreign purchases, so I feel prepared as I have the room and it's a great way to bring home little extras.
    Last edited by Just; 05-02-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Fixed broken quote

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsale View Post
    Edited to add that Fabreeze spray is a must for those who pack light for long trips.
    Couldn't agree more! Decanter into a smaller spray bottle than their big 3-ounce version.

We don't see our friends until Tuesday (in 2 days) but I thought I'd post an update. I almost fainted--my mother packed even less than I did!

I look across my and my husband's hotel room and it's sprawled with Tom Bihn gear! My husband traveled with his grey Tri-Star and steel Dyneema Tri-Star Packing Cube Backpack, I with my indigo Tri-Star and steel Dyneema Co-Pilot. He is using his backpackmas his daypack, and I'm using my Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. My iPad is a perfect fit in the shoulder bag (It has its own cover).

The Side Effect is a little too big to fit in the shoulder bag when I have the iPad in there, so I've taken stuff out. Size-wise,mthe 3D organizer cube would actually fit perfectly (but the twomwe are using are hanging out in our hotel room bathroom). If we could buy a non-clear version (either in Corcyra or Dyneema) I would probably tuck that in my shoulder bag, but no biggie.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

PS: going thru airport security with the Co-Pilot was a snap. I had a clear 3D Organizer Cube for my 3-1-1bag, tethered to one of the rings inside the Co-Pilot's front side pockets. I was able to dangle the cube out without having to put it in a tray. Everything stayed together and security was a snap.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Hi, Lani. You wrote: "If we could buy a non-clear version (either in Corcyra or Dyneema) I would probably tuck that in my shoulder bag, but no biggie." In the interim, how about using a piece of cloth to line the inside?

I admit that I fully haven't gone to the one carry-on bag trip yet for overseas. I've done it here in the US more often than not, though usually my bag gets checked at the gate anyhow because it's wheeled -- an Aeronaut is most likely in my future. My ideal travel setup would be an Aeronaut or TriStar with the Synpase as my personal item/laptop bag.

The first time I went to Liverpool, I checked one large bag and brought so much stuff back that I would up having to yank out the Brain Cell with my laptop and small café bag out of my Id, filled the Id and checked it along with the main bag (thankfully, for free.) The Id came out looking much better than the main bag did!

The second time I went to Liverpool, I checked the same large bag and carried the iPad Ristretto on board with me. That suitcase was only half-full since I reduced the clothing knowing my mother-in-law washes every day -- something I didn't know the first time around -- but I wound up bringing back Christmas gifts and a ton of my husband's things since we're starting the immigration process for him. I couldn't have done that with the Aeronaut.

My third trip to Liverpool will be in July, and unless I get an Aeronaut before then, I'll probably take the large bag and check it again so I can bring back more of my husband's things. But, if I do get an Aeronaut, I am concerned about what I will be able to bring back with me.

So, yes, while I agree with the carry-on bag rule and kudos to you guys who manage to pull it off. I'm just not quite there yet, but I'm close.
    Last edited by DQBunny; 05-03-2011 at 05:13 PM.
    Meg
    -----
    Proud owner of a conifer/steel Synapse, indigo/black Swift, a linen/olive Small Cafe Bag, a couple of yarn stuff sacks, a clear organizer wallet and various organizer pouches

Sometimes I get annoyed at people who are preachy about packing light, but if I complain about lugging around extra bags or checked luggage fees then I probably deserve the preaching. I'm getting better about it (depends where I'm traveling to), but sometimes I have to lug along extra medical supplies and they take up lots of room. Luckily I use these while I'm traveling, and end up making space or shopping, or just have less stuff to take home. I also travel with magazines I've been meaning to read, then I can make sure to donate them to someone else who needs reading material.
    Proud owner of an Aeronaut (indigo), Med. Cafe (steel, indigo), mini organizer (blue), med. organizer (cork), larger organizer (cork). Always thinking about what to get next.

On a recent trip I took to Arizona with girlfriends, you should have seen the looks on their faces when I strolled up with my efficiently packed Western Flyer. "That's all you brought?" While they were schlepping huge wheeled luggage all weekend, mine was neat and sweet. I guess it was a silent neener-neener... lol

In March, I made an unexpected trip to Florida for a conference, and as it happened my best friend (whom I had not seen in a few years) was available to pick me up from the airport. As I exited to plane, and the initial greetings were over, her husband asked me what baggage claim, and I replied that my one bag was it. He looked surprised, and my friend replied, "I know she'd only have one bag, she's too practical!" <grins>

Interestingly, I had purchased a used Aeronaut specifically for this trip, knowing that it would be a great chance to see if I really liked the TB luggage...and I did! It performed spectacularly, especially on my way home, when my overall flight home was delayed 18 hours; it was a HUGE relief to know that all my stuff was with me, and I wouldn't be chasing it all over of the country, or waiting for it to arrive!

~Tik

Quote Originally Posted by ElenTikvah View Post
    In March, I made an unexpected trip to Florida for a conference, and as it happened my best friend (whom I had not seen in a few years) was available to pick me up from the airport. As I exited to plane, and the initial greetings were over, her husband asked me what baggage claim, and I replied that my one bag was it. He looked surprised, and my friend replied, "I know she'd only have one bag, she's too practical!" <grins>

Interestingly, I had purchased a used Aeronaut specifically for this trip, knowing that it would be a great chance to see if I really liked the TB luggage...and I did! It performed spectacularly, especially on my way home, when my overall flight home was delayed 18 hours; it was a HUGE relief to know that all my stuff was with me, and I wouldn't be chasing it all over of the country, or waiting for it to arrive!~Tik
    (Hum? My previous post just went missing...hope it doesn't turn up here as a duplicate!)

Tik - this is my main reason for going carry-on only. The security of having everything I need with me, and not having to worry about it. Also, the convenience if the schedule changes, that I can be open to other options.

Still, there have been times when a flight is delayed and I wander around the airport with sore shoulders and think how much easier it would be to just be carrying a handbag! (Sometimes walking around browsing keeps me awake!) Although I think I am being efficient, I know I can still do a better job in my packing without resorting to chopping off the handle of my toothbrush. (Although that is tempting too.)

Glad to know the Aeronaut worked so well for you!
    Last edited by Maria; 05-17-2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelling!

I'm looking forward to traveling extensively with my Aeronaut as I will be able to pack soooooo much!!

for our (dh and I) last holiday we went to kenya for a safari. we stayed at a beach resort for 2 weeks and had a 4 day safari booked during this time. when I want to, I can pack very efficiently and lightly, so for the safari we had one bag each, I had an old Kipling messenger bag and my hubby had a small Nike sports bag. we had to take 2 different flights to get to the safari and everyone (everywhere) from check in and security to people picking us up at various places would look behind us and around us on the ground because they wouldn't believe we didn't have more luggage!!

I do wish I had had the Aeronaut for that trip
    however, it was the safari trip that sparked the search for a maximum carry-on soft sided bag that could be carried as a backpack when needed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0