Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Forums Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    It appears the forum is still using a variant of the "timer method" to differentiate between read and unread threads. So if I open the forums but go and brush my teeth or something, I'll come back and click on an unread board but everything will be marked "read". Similarly, if I read quickly and go back to the main page to choose the next board to look at, it'll still show the board I already visited as "unread".

This isn't a new problem, but I was hoping with the upgrade the old problem would have been fixed.
    I'd like to mention this problem again. I'll get side-tracked on something else for not very long and when I get back to reading, my unread stuff is now considered read even though I haven't closed or left my session.

I bet it's probably not feasible to change from the "timer method" that Just refers to, but it should be "easy" to adjust the time period from whatever it is now (10-15 minutes?) to something substantially longer. Is there any downside to increasing the time?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Okay, we're gearing up for some major work on the forums in the month of September, so keep the suggestions/critiques/feedback/appreciation/criticism coming! Even if we don't reply to each one, rest assured we're reading your posts and taking them into account.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Along with spamjam and Just, I've had problems with the boards timing out and marking everything read. Also, the icons used to denote read vs unread and hot vs cold are attractive and the hot vs cold works fine, but the unread and read icons are much too similar. I often find myself squinting at the column of icons, trying to find the thread at which the unread posts start. Maybe keep the design and the background color the same as currently, but make the envelope a different color for threads with unread posts?
    Smart Alec, Cadet (11/i), Little Swift, Field Journal Notebook, Organizer Pouches, Organizer Wallet, Yarn Stuff Sacks, Key Straps, Snake Charmer, Zipper Pulls, Strapeez

Thanks, wyldrose. We're working on the forum upgrade; vBulletin is about to release a new version of forum software, so we're waiting for them to do so before some of these changes are made. Hopefully the new version will be out any day now.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Don't forget about the tapatalk plugin, so anyone with there ipads, android devices can use that app with the forum! Check it out, do a search on tapatalk in any app market. I use it to manage all the forums I'm in and works great!.
    LarryA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Don't forget about the tapatalk plugin, so anyone with there ipads, android devices can use that app with the forum! Check it out, do a search on tapatalk in any app market. I use it to manage all the forums I'm in and works great!.
    +1 on this please?
    --------------------------------

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Zomg, Darcy, I am loving the new look! I see more pics too, the site just keeps getting better and better!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Zomg, Darcy, I am loving the new look! I see more pics too, the site just keeps getting better and better!
    I am so glad! And that's just the beginning..
    dorayme likes this.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    This last change is truly transformational, it just keeps getting better and better!
    I really, really like TB Bags!

FYI: we've added Tapatalk functionality to the forums. Let us know how it works for you!

Another cool forum update: if you have an avatar (profile photo), it will show up next to your post on the forum home page on the left side under New Forum Posts and New Threads. If you don't have an avatar... it won't show up, so you better get one!

We're working on other updates, too, and will post a full list of the improvements/updates soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    FYI: we've added Tapatalk functionality to the forums. Let us know how it works for you!
    Hooray! Looks to be working fine from here.
    Darcy likes this.
    Karl

I just had to reset my password by having it emailed to me, which sent me through the reCAPTCHA process. Is it just me or is it incredibly difficult to decipher what the words are or even hear them (if you choose the audio version)? I think I must have tried 40 times before I got one right. I hope you guys didn't have to go through that! If it's as difficult for everyone as it was for me, we'll look into a different anti-spam option.
    dorayme likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I just had to reset my password by having it emailed to me, which sent me through the reCAPTCHA process. Is it just me or is it incredibly difficult to decipher what the words are or even hear them (if you choose the audio version)? I think I must have tried 40 times before I got one right. I hope you guys didn't have to go through that! If it's as difficult for everyone as it was for me, we'll look into a different anti-spam option.
    Captchas are definitely getting more challenging these days - not just in this site but many of the sites I go to are more difficult to use because of them - For a while I was thinking it was just because of I was getting older and crankier....

I will be up in Seattle in a few weeks - will try to stop by the store on our way to Bellingham.

Quote Originally Posted by rabergnc View Post
    I will be up in Seattle in a few weeks - will try to stop by the store on our way to Bellingham.
    Let us know what day you'll be here if possible so that we can give you a factory tour!
    dorayme likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0