Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Forums Changes

Getting used to it. The new design's looking good.

Also attractive: the customer pictures of the Dyneema shop bags and pouches. Pretty!
    Katy likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I think a mobile version of the forums is a great idea, maverick and Shiva -- let's see what we can do about that.
    On this front, please consider tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by wennefer View Post
    I like the new forums, too! One of the things I like is the ability to jump to the first unread post in a thread. Glad to hear that the blog link will be back.
    Actually, this functionality was available on the old forums as well.

I like that the new forums remembers whether you have read a thread or not, and keeps the "unread posts" appearance up until you have read the thread.

One thing I need fixed, though: For some reason, if I click on "Forum" in the toolbar with "Home" "Forum" "What's New?" and "Blog" the link goes to http://tombihn.com/forums which appears to log me out of the forum even though I clicked the "Remember Me" box, for I see the "User Name" and "Password" Log In boxes. This is sub-optimal. It should behave exactly like the "Forum" link in the "Forum -> All About Bags -> Tom BIHN News & Everything Else -> Forums Changes" line and go to http://www.tombihn.com/forums/
    Last edited by Just; 04-18-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: Added more things I noticed.

Like button!!! <3
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    One thing I need fixed, though: For some reason, if I click on "Forum" in the toolbar with "Home" "Forum" "What's New?" and "Blog" the link goes to http://tombihn.com/forums which appears to log me out of the forum even though I clicked the "Remember Me" box, for I see the "User Name" and "Password" Log In boxes. This is sub-optimal. It should behave exactly like the "Forum" link in the "Forum -> All About Bags -> Tom BIHN News & Everything Else -> Forums Changes" line and go to http://www.tombihn.com/forums/
    This should be fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I'm getting the following "error" message when I hit "mark forums read":

vBulletin Message
    Your submission could not be processed because a security token was invalid.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

One minor change needs to be made to the forums' appearance:

When people embed links in their text-postings, the linked text should be automatically underlined so that it is easy to see that there is a link available there.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

^ At present, the underline is only visible when one mouses-over text with a link. If you don't mouse-over, you don't see the underline.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

New Forum Look

Why did most of the color of the forums disappear? It looks a lot more bland now.

Love the new look to the forums...the TB icon is awesome, and the LIKE button is SWEET! ~Tik
    Katy likes this.

Looks like I've been gone a while. I like the new forum but I miss the colour, everything is now grey.
    dorayme likes this.

^ Yes, color is central to the "Tom Bihn Experience", and the seemingly grey monotone of the new forums runs against that. If it's possible to splash some color onto the graphic parts of the new forums, it would be a good idea.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hang in there, guys -- remember, the forum upgrade is a work in progress.
    KarlJ and dorayme like this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The 'like' option means we have to scroll further now to get to other messages. It also aids in more non-message stuff/clutter on the screen, kinda cumbersome. Might be setup better if the like/share buttons and how many people liked it info are all shoved down to the bottom line of each post on the reply button line.

Volunteer Moderator
    It appears the forum is still using a variant of the "timer method" to differentiate between read and unread threads. So if I open the forums but go and brush my teeth or something, I'll come back and click on an unread board but everything will be marked "read". Similarly, if I read quickly and go back to the main page to choose the next board to look at, it'll still show the board I already visited as "unread".

This isn't a new problem, but I was hoping with the upgrade the old problem would have been fixed.
    moriond likes this.

My forum reading mode is to go into each forum and click the "read new" button for each thread I want to read.

1. I miss the last logged in time info. I use it so that if it updates to "now" before I'm finished reading new stuff I'll have a clue as to which threads to look at.
    2. Wish the read new buttons for the threads were larger (hence easier to click).
    3. Have no interest in the likes and shares info...just wastes space for me...and would like an option to not display it.

I'm OK with most everything else and overall am happy with the changes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0