Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Thread: Best Wife Ever!

Best Wife Ever!

My birthday present showed up today! Crimson Tristar with an absolute strap! I really don't deserve my wife!

My initial response is...it is so SMALL! Did I err? Should I have asked for an Aeronaut?

I made a quick pass at packing it up with stuff, and I am not quite as panicked but I may be looking for some discipline tips from some of you dedicated "no checked luggage" people as I get ready for a 8 day business trip to Germany and England.
    Last edited by jeffmac; 03-01-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    My birthday present showed up today! Crimson Tristar with an absolute strap! I really don't deserve my wife!
    Husbands never do, LOL. Congrats on the new Tristar! Are you going to post a packing list when you figure out what to take on your trip?

Thumbs up Your wife is a charm!

With it's many pockets the Tristar is more "organized" than the Aeronaut.

What is your required dress code?

You could pair up the Tristar with an Ego or Super Ego as a personal item.
    Either would probably hold any overflow.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Trust us, the Tristar is plenty big for an 8 day trip. I've traveled for six weeks with a Tristar! The trick is to figure out how to get double or triple the use from everything that you pack.

Oh, and sink washing underwear so you don't have to pack a lot of that helps, too. :-)
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    You could pair up the Tristar with an Ego or Super Ego as a personal item.
    Either would probably hold any overflow.
    Even BA might baulk at that! They allow a handbag (a purse in American) or a lap-top. Most budget carriers in Europe have very, very strict one bag rules! And many have weight limits of 10Kg (22lbs) or less. Pack with care and choose your airline even more carefully.

Though I just took a five day business and pleasure trip with an Aeronaut, barely half full, so I'm sure the Tri-Star will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Husbands never do, LOL. Congrats on the new Tristar! Are you going to post a packing list when you figure out what to take on your trip?
    Janine, you're so right. If Jeff's correct though, my miff must be a bigamist :-)

A packing lit is one thing, but we want, no we demand, pictures! Let Mav's example be a shinning example to you and all of us!

As mentioned above, packing for Europe air travel could be more restrictive than packing for U.S. air travel.

First, figure out how you will be traveling, then learn the size/weight/carry-on limits, then get your packing list together.

Once that's done, come back and we'll help you whittle it down if necessary.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

See my thread under travel tips 'European Carry on Limits'

European Budget Carry-on limits

Hardly exhaustive, but there's a table there for five common airlines.

@janine- My friend says that men, by definition, always marry up!

@BPritchard- basic dress is business casual, so mainly khakis (please no flack from the Brits, that is what we call them here) and a polo or button up shirt with decent shoes. I have three days of trade show, two days of meeting, one day of travel and one day of touristing

@flitcraft I do have a backpack as a computer case...sadly not a TB, but rather a Spire. I am trying to figure out if I can leave it at home...

@eric (sorry I just can't call you Fat Crip, even if you do label your self that way!) the only budget carrier I have is German wings, but they do appear to be a bit vindictive on the luggage front with a hard 1 personal item at a max of 8kg rule! ouch!

I will work on the list and the pics over the weekend...my wife already thinks that I am marrying the bag she got me for my birthday so I have to pay some attention to her first!

OK, I posted a packing list and a couple of bad pics (stupid cell phone camera) on the Packing List portion of the forum over here:

Tri-Star

I must say I am MUCH less panicked now about living out of the bag for 8 days! I have a sneaking suspicion I should go out and invest in some more washable clothes, but this trip is way on the edge of how I normally travel and the Tristar is going to be plenty of bag for all the 3-5 trips I normally take.

Totally sold on the packing cubes now...gonna have to pick up another medium one...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0