Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What's your 2011 TOM BIHN Wish List?

+1 on that!

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
    I'd like there to be one of the regular plastic o-rings that are sewn in to the bags to be on the key straps, especially the longer ones. What I mean is that the strap, before the clips are sewn on the ends would be inserted through an o-ring. It would then be trapped between the clip on either end of the strap. What this would let you do is clip the strap around something back to the o-ring.

While it is possible to clip to the strap, it is difficult, and it is even more difficult to unclip. My wife loves the TB wallet I bought her, and her ristretto, and swift, which she swaps between. But occasionally she needs to take a different bag (I know, I know, perish the thought) or just wants to clip the wallet on the baby carrier or wherever. The same thing with her keys. Also I use the straps to connect baby toys to the carrier or car seat and an o-ring would make that much easier as well.

Thanks for listening.

^ That is fascinating! Thank you for the link, cromulent.

And yes, it would be great to see a Bihn-ized version of that, with YKK splash-proof zippers, solar dyneema interior, "o" rings, internal and external pockets, and more. I would love to see what Bihn could do with either blue, steel or forest green exterior colors.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Such bags already exist in the Tom Bihn Inc line they are called the Western Flyer and the Tristar.

Western Flyer
    http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/700/TB0950

Tristar
    http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...ct_Code=TB0940

Quote Originally Posted by cromulent View Post
    Since we’re dreaming here, my ideal bag, the one I’ve always wanted, would be a commuter/day bag from Tom Bihn that could be used as a backpack, with a shoulder strap or carried with a handle.
    Mountainsmith makes a bag called the Tour which does all this. I’ve been using it for a few months and it is very flexible. Most of the time I carry it like a messenger bag using an Absolute strap. I like how a messenger bag gives quick access to the contents by sliding from back, under the arm to the front. I can even access stuff in the bag without stopping as I walk. But sometimes you can’t beat a backpack for convenience. And then there are times when I find it useful to carry a bag in my hand. The Tour lets me do all these things but it’s a little busy and there are a lot of straps hanging around (it also has a large lumbar strap which I’ve never used that is the main source of the extraneous dangling straps). It is a very useful, adaptable bag, but it doesn’t have the clean design of a Tom Bihn bag.

This is the Tour:
    http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0

I had considered the Co-Pilot when I was looking for a new bag (which is a near constant state). But it was a little small for what I wanted. I have a Brain Bag which I love but it’s too large for my day-to-day use.

The bag I envision would be a larger Co-Pilot with removable backpack straps like the ones on an Aeronaut. So day to day I could use it like a messenger bag but when the need arises I could bust out the backpack straps and throw it on my back.

I like both messenger bags and backpacks, is it too much to ask for the best of both worlds?
    Last edited by backpack; 03-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Such bags already exist in the Tom Bihn Inc line they are called the Western Flyer and the Tristar.
    I was going to mention them in my message as examples of what I was thinking of. But those guys are too big, too luggagey to work as the more casual everyday bag I imagine.

But if we took the Western Flyer and made it smaller, combined the two compartments into one, and changed the straps to be removable we would be onto something like the large Co-Pilot with removable backpack straps.

I may also settle for something like a one-compartment Brain Bag that had either removable or hidden backpack straps and the ability to hook on a shoulder strap.

But I think I'd prefer a messenger bag with backpack straps rather than a backpack with a shoulder strap.

Co-Pilot

Overall dimensions: 12" x 10" x 5" / 300 x 255 x 125mm

Western Flyer

Overall dimensions: 18" x 12" x 7" / 455 x 305 x 180mm

So what would be your ideal dimensions and design for a briefcase/backpack?

I own several Brain Bags in various colors but the acquisition of several Synapses are planned. It is the perfect bag when a smaller everyday backpack is needed.

I find the Co-Pilot or the Synapse indefinitely more stylish than the bag you mentioned above, in my opnion, calling it "busy" is an understatement, to me, it's a perfect mountain climbing gear holder.
    I don't do climbing, except in cars, trains, buses and planes. I got a similar designed sporty bag years ago, complete with the glaring yellow trim.

I love Tom Bihn bags clean and stylish lines and their ability to be of use and look gorgeous in park trails, bike paths, train stations and offices.

I know I might sound like a groupie but when I discovered the brand, in 05, it was just so great to find man-made fabric bags with such flair.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-03-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    So what would be your ideal dimensions and design for a briefcase/backpack?
    I find the Co-Pilot or the Synapse indefinitely more stylish than the bag you mentioned above, in my opnion, calling it "busy" is an understatement, to me, it's a perfect mountain climbing gear holder.
    I don't do climbing, except in cars, trains, buses and planes. I got a similar designed sporty bag years ago, complete with the glaring yellow trim.

I should mention that I just realized that I linked to the Moutainsmith Tour, but I actually have the Day. They are very similar but the Day is larger.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0

I should also mention that, despite the busy-ness of the Day bag, I really like it a lot. It's the right size for my daily use and it can adapt to many different situation I find myself in. While it may appear to have every possible bag option slapped on it, in daily use I think it has the right number options and they don't get in the way of each other. They're useful, even if not beautiful.

I guess what I'm saying that it's not like Homer's car. At all.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/The_Homer

The Day is 13 x 12 x 8 which I find to be a really nice size. If I had my choice, I'd like to see my fantasy Bihn bag be a larger Co-Pilot with dimensions of 13x12x6. Big enough for what I need without being too large. I would have enough room to fit the essentials but not too much room that I would take more than I need.

I love Tom Bihn bags clean and stylish lines and their ability to be of use and look gorgeous in park trails, bike paths, train stations and offices.

I know I might sound like a groupie but when I discovered the brand, in 05, it was just so great to find man-made fabric bags with such flair.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Tom's bags too. I have an Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Side Effect, Stuff Sacks, various Organizer pouches and packing cubes. And I'm always looking for more (hello Breve).

Last fall I was taking a weekend trip to Orlando to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter with my son and I wanted a bag that I could take to the parks each day. If I was going with my whole family I'd have taken my Brain Bag and been the pack mule for everyone. But with just the two of us I wanted something smaller that would give me room for two raincoats, a couple of water bottles and some sunscreen. I wanted to run lean. I didn't have the Day at the time but it would have been perfect. The only Bihn bag that would have worked that I wanted was a Synapse, but it was out of stock and even a month ahead of time they wouldn't have been in stock in time for my trip.

My fantasy Bihn bag would have been ideal for this trip but I still had my Aeronaut, packing cube and Side Effect (which was so dang useful) so Bihn was well represented.

Quote Originally Posted by cromulent View Post
    Last fall I was taking a weekend trip to Orlando to see the Wizarding World of Harry Potter with my son and I wanted a bag that I could take to the parks each day. If I was going with my whole family I'd have taken my Brain Bag and been the pack mule for everyone. But with just the two of us I wanted something smaller that would give me room for two raincoats, a couple of water bottles and some sunscreen. I wanted to run lean. I didn't have the Day at the time but it would have been perfect. The only Bihn bag that would have worked that I wanted was a Synapse, but it was out of stock and even a month ahead of time they wouldn't have been in stock in time for my trip.
    I hear you on this, and found the Synapse to be the perfect Orlando theme park bag when we visited last year. Small enough to cram between your legs on rides but large enough to hold the necessities (camera, snacks, raincoats, etc). I have the Dyneema version (thanks Katy!), and love it dearly.
    --------------------------------

Fresh Fabrics

How about introducing smoother finish materials? Coarse nylon weaves are not too dressy. Some leather-like sheen to the surfaces would be really nice. I love my Tom Bihn Bags but starting to wish for a dressier look to my Large Black Cafe bag for example. I guess Tom has a lot of knowledge of fabrics - as he's an innovator what with the introduction of UltraSuede and cork-bonded fabrics etc. LEATHER touch and feel without the dead cattle

I'm with Zephyrnoid--a dressier fabric option in the cafe bags would be super. I recall some time back there was talk of adding Ultrasuede as an option for cafe bags. It would be so nice to touch and lovely to look at! I think I'm at capacity with cafe bags with four, but I'd hit "order" in a heart beat if Ultrasuede cafe bags were available.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

In the beginning of last year, we had Leaf Green and Cayenne Ultrasuede offered in the Kindle Sleeve, later the Ultrasuede Screen Cloth with embossed plane logo made its appearance in Slate Blue, Sea Green, Peony Pink, Fire Red, Sol Yellow and Cedar Brown and the F.O.T is made of Dark Blue and Black Ultrasuede with embossed Matterhorn logo.

So there is a whole color spectrum of Ultrasuede colors already used by Tom Bihn Inc.

http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/1590

After the misadventure described above, I understand why the Breve for iPad was a surprise baby.

A gorgeous surprise baby, I might add.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrnoid View Post
    How about introducing smoother finish materials? Coarse nylon weaves are not too dressy. Some leather-like sheen to the surfaces would be really nice. I love my Tom Bihn Bags but starting to wish for a dressier look to my Large Black Cafe bag for example. I guess Tom has a lot of knowledge of fabrics - as he's an innovator what with the introduction of UltraSuede and cork-bonded fabrics etc. LEATHER touch and feel without the dead cattle
    I do think you'll be seeing more Ultrasuede this year!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

1) diaper bag
    2) camera insert
    3) kid's backpack
    4) travel luggage

I would love to order some padded organizer pouches in colors other than gray. Right now, I have my cell phone on one side and my iPod on the other side... It would be great to have some different colors to help me differentiate gadgets.

The Field Journal. If could get myself away from black onto the conifer it would be ordered by now.

I would love to see a cross between the Aeronaut and Tri-star, or really, just a Tri-star that's a little larger. I travel for business and usually bundle-pack a suit. The Tri-star is a little small for my liking, but I prefer its layout to the Aeronaut.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0