Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: What's your 2011 TOM BIHN Wish List?

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Do you mean an east/west/landscape orientation backpack?
    Ooo, that's an interesting idea. Do you think it could be comfortable?

What I'm envisioning has more to do with the way the bag opens. Ideally, with a flap/buckle system, just like the Ristretto, only larger and in backpack format. I know the cross-body or shoulder strap works for some people, but I want the weight distributed between two straps. Plus, I feel much more secure with a backpack when commuting across snow and ice and can't risk a messenger bag throwing off my balance.

So, what I really want is a Ristretto backpack!
    Last edited by Margot; 02-13-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Margot View Post
    Ooo, that's an interesting idea. Do you think it could be comfortable?

What I'm envisioning has more to do with the way the bag opens. Ideally, with a flap/buckle system, just like the Ristretto, only larger and in backpack format. I know the cross-body or shoulder strap works for some people, but I want the weight distributed between two straps. Plus, I feel much more secure with a backpack when commuting across snow and ice and can't risk a messenger bag throwing off my balance.
    Tom Bihn used to have a flap/buckle backpack called the Ruck's Sack

Results on the blog for the Ruck's Sack:
    http://www.tombihn.com/blog/search/node/Ruck%27s+

Backpacks by Tom Bihn on You Tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y6L1...eature=related

Many Tom Bihn customer own one or several Brain Bags, we felt that a backpack smaller than the Smart Alec would be nice and Tom came up with the Ruck's Sack it was a hit with parents and other travelers.

However, owners of the Brain Bags and people with smaller frame, wanted a bag that had zippers and compartments to use as a commuter or carry on size travel bag.

The Synapse became a hit and the production of the Ruck Sack was discontinued.

I own many Cafe Bags which I wear in a way that the buckle and flap are always visible, I would feel really uncomfortable with a backpack with a buckle and flap as a closing mechanism.

As a public transport commuter, I feel more comfortable with zippers which can be zipped on one side or locked if needed be.

I have seen various east/west/landscape backpacks over the year and I don't feel that they are well balanced.

Tom knows how to design bags that are good looking and also very very comfortable to carry.

Please take a look at the Synapse, it is miles ahead of any small backpack I have seen in years.

O-ring on key straps

I'd like there to be one of the regular plastic o-rings that are sewn in to the bags to be on the key straps, especially the longer ones. What I mean is that the strap, before the clips are sewn on the ends would be inserted through an o-ring. It would then be trapped between the clip on either end of the strap. What this would let you do is clip the strap around something back to the o-ring.

While it is possible to clip to the strap, it is difficult, and it is even more difficult to unclip. My wife loves the TB wallet I bought her, and her ristretto, and swift, which she swaps between. But occasionally she needs to take a different bag (I know, I know, perish the thought) or just wants to clip the wallet on the baby carrier or wherever. The same thing with her keys. Also I use the straps to connect baby toys to the carrier or car seat and an o-ring would make that much easier as well.

Thanks for listening.

Re a "landscape" backpack: The width of a backpack is limited by the width of the (average) torso, so the arms can swing during walking.

I second the recommendation of the Synapse.

The tippy top of my wishlist for 2011 is a Western Flyer with Ultraviolet Dyneema interior and a preference for black exterior over steel. It's coming to the Tristar but we've already got one of those in a different color combination (it rocks). The feverish anticipation is mounting by the week!

Looking for an Aeronaut later this year, to replace the numerous cheap duffles I find myself going through, not to mention an upcoming trip to Croatia where I'd like to try some of the packing methods I've read about here.

Also a Brain Cell to go with my new SuperEgo... I'm hoping the retail store has more colors than just black for the 2M when it opens up!

did anyone mention a wallet -- of the more traditional variety?

Since my wife washed my leather wallet (it wasn't in that good of condition before the wash) -- I am in the market for a traditional carry every day wallet. I've looked at the current "Clear Organizer Wallet", but I would love something closer to a more traditional wallet -- yet still with TB sensibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbom View Post
    Since my wife washed my leather wallet (it wasn't in that good of condition before the wash) -- I am in the market for a traditional carry every day wallet. I've looked at the current "Clear Organizer Wallet", but I would love something closer to a more traditional wallet -- yet still with TB sensibilities.
    I second the motion!

Smile Color choices for Padded Pouches

I'm putting together an order, and realized I'd love to see color choices for the padded pouches! The charcoal gray is pretty utilitarian. Any chance that fabric comes in other colors, even if it's just black?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryA View Post
    On the theory that it never hurts to ask, I'd love a Ristretto (full size 13") in Indigo, Navy or Conifer with Solar Dyneema interior. :-)
    Would love a full size 13" ristretto!! Great idea.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by GearHead View Post
    I'd like there to be one of the regular plastic o-rings that are sewn in to the bags to be on the key straps, especially the longer ones. What I mean is that the strap, before the clips are sewn on the ends would be inserted through an o-ring. It would then be trapped between the clip on either end of the strap. What this would let you do is clip the strap around something back to the o-ring.

While it is possible to clip to the strap, it is difficult, and it is even more difficult to unclip. My wife loves the TB wallet I bought her, and her ristretto, and swift, which she swaps between. But occasionally she needs to take a different bag (I know, I know, perish the thought) or just wants to clip the wallet on the baby carrier or wherever. The same thing with her keys. Also I use the straps to connect baby toys to the carrier or car seat and an o-ring would make that much easier as well.

Thanks for listening.
    I really like that idea, though it might work better with a figure 8 rather than an o ring.

I just got an order that included a padded pouch and it came in black.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    I just got an order that included a padded pouch and it came in black.
    Two out of three of mine are also (much better!).

Super Moderator

Aeronaut cocoon

Quote Originally Posted by Tzporah View Post
    I'd like a cover for the Aeronaut that protects it when checked and keeps people from opening zippers as you stand around. It could also double as a carry on bag for when you buy too much on vacation.
    Hear, hear! That's a cool idea. Semi-permeable membranes are the way to go -- discretionary layers.

I noticed, last time I flew (to San Juan), that the current thing is (I think largely for flights to / from South America, insight welcome) to pay for a cocoon-like wrapping around luggage to prevent pilfering.

timothy

Since weíre dreaming here, my ideal bag, the one Iíve always wanted, would be a commuter/day bag from Tom Bihn that could be used as a backpack, with a shoulder strap or carried with a handle.
    Mountainsmith makes a bag called the Tour which does all this. Iíve been using it for a few months and it is very flexible. Most of the time I carry it like a messenger bag using an Absolute strap. I like how a messenger bag gives quick access to the contents by sliding from back, under the arm to the front. I can even access stuff in the bag without stopping as I walk. But sometimes you canít beat a backpack for convenience. And then there are times when I find it useful to carry a bag in my hand. The Tour lets me do all these things but itís a little busy and there are a lot of straps hanging around (it also has a large lumbar strap which Iíve never used that is the main source of the extraneous dangling straps). It is a very useful, adaptable bag, but it doesnít have the clean design of a Tom Bihn bag.

This is the Tour:
    http://www.mountainsmith.com/product...bCategory2Id=0

I had considered the Co-Pilot when I was looking for a new bag (which is a near constant state). But it was a little small for what I wanted. I have a Brain Bag which I love but itís too large for my day-to-day use.

The bag I envision would be a larger Co-Pilot with removable backpack straps like the ones on an Aeronaut. So day to day I could use it like a messenger bag but when the need arises I could bust out the backpack straps and throw it on my back.

I like both messenger bags and backpacks, is it too much to ask for the best of both worlds?

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0