Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by ratdeau View Post
    I got an A5 version... no I'm kidding ;-) but I did a quick customisation an it's now an european FJN.
    What did you do to it?

Audrey

The review linked on the blog is a little weird in how critical it was of the paper options. I haven't spend a lot of time with my Field Journal since I'm in between semesters, but the first thing I did was try my Lamy Safari and Noodlers fountain pens in it and they looked fine to me. I used Noodlers ink and the ruled paper that came with the journal. I can see the writing on the opposite side but it didn't seem that bad. The writer did specify it was just her opinion, but still seemed a bit odd to me ruling out fountain pen users. I also remember when they were testing the papers out in the forums, but the reviewer probably wasn't aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeot View Post
    The review linked on the blog is a little weird in how critical it was of the paper options. I haven't spend a lot of time with my Field Journal since I'm in between semesters, but the first thing I did was try my Lamy Safari and Noodlers fountain pens in it and they looked fine to me. I used Noodlers ink and the ruled paper that came with the journal. I can see the writing on the opposite side but it didn't seem that bad. The writer did specify it was just her opinion, but still seemed a bit odd to me ruling out fountain pen users. I also remember when they were testing the papers out in the forums, but the reviewer probably wasn't aware of that.
    renegadeot - thanks for the comments on my review - I apologize if I sounded overly critical and as if I was speaking for all FP users. I have modified my post to indicate that some FP users might seek alternatives.

Blog Review

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeot View Post
    Thank you for your comments and I apologize if you thought that I was being overly critical. The opinions are my own and I have modified the post to reflect that I think SOME fountain pen users may be unhappy with the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    What did you do to it?

Audrey
    My solution is to take a A5 binder with plastic cover. I separate the cover part and cut it like the original base plate. I take the binder plate and cut the right outer side like the base plate. I fix the two parts together with two pins & clip and I put everything in place.

Et voilą.

The binder mechanism is thinner than the original one, it le space for my
    planner and do not press to much on the pockets.

Now that I have a base plate I'll do other models, perhaps with a circa binder
    system or an other A5, thicker but keeping the front cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    Thank you for your comments and I apologize if you thought that I was being overly critical. The opinions are my own and I have modified the post to reflect that I think SOME fountain pen users may be unhappy with the paper.
    Actually I agree with this element of your review. At the same time I recognize that there are limits to what one can do in a product rollout.

I am not a big Cranes user...partly the reason you cite. I also find the paper minus its perforated left edge to look oddly narrow after looking at wider verge de france paper for so long. I also like to write on fronts and backs and don't like bleed-thru. But I think getting stationery that I like and getting it to work for me is an enjoyable part of customizing the process. And someone who isn't as picky as I am won't need to go through all of this.

I also do a lot of work with mechanical pencils and graph paper, and I think this will work for me without such modification.
    ID, Horizonal Brain Cell, Brain Bag, Ristretto (for macbook pro), Tristar, Synapse (dyneema)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0