Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 69
  1. #31
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,357
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Is Maverick going to make a video showing us how to drink from a water bottle?
    yes, using the life factory baby bottles!

  2. #32
    keb
    keb is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Is Maverick going to make a video showing us how to drink from a water bottle?
    Now this is why we need animated smileys!
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

  3. #33
    keb
    keb is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi keb,

    actually, the glass is pretty darned tough. i think that the silicone sleeve helps to keep the bottle safe. i've managed to drop the bottle - it got a little dirty, but it was nothing that couldn't be washed off. i have even whacked it on the side of my car more than once (yes, i'm a bit clumsy), and neither the bottle nor the car have gotten a scratch as a result.

    these are really super bottles!
    If you say so I have to believe you Maverick, but my girls have shown the ability to destroy anything and everything!!

    How do you wash them? It doesn't specify on the product page.
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12
    I have to say that although the bottle looks very nice the fact it is glass and over 1lb in weight is a deal breaker for me. I'm afraid it's too heavy and I just can't see glass surviving :-(

  5. #35
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,357
    Quote Originally Posted by keb View Post
    If you say so I have to believe you Maverick, but my girls have shown the ability to destroy anything and everything!!

    How do you wash them? It doesn't specify on the product page.
    hi keb,

    the product page mentions that "Bottle and sleeve can be put in the dishwasher together."

    i've been washing mine with dish soap and hot water in the sink, just because i never want it away from me. i use it all day at work and it's next to me at home. it stays on my night table next to my bed because i like to have water as soon as i wake up.

  6. #36
    keb
    keb is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Philly suburbs
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi keb,

    the product page mentions that "Bottle and sleeve can be put in the dishwasher together."
    D'oh!!! The gray box on the right....
    Western Flyer (Crimson); 4Z Brain Cell; Swift (wife); Empire Builder (Black/Steel/Wasabi); Aeronaut (Black/Steel); Side Effect (Black), 3D Cube (Olive); lots of cubes/pouches/kit; Synapse (Navy/Solar); Smart Alec (Cardinal/Steel)

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Is Maverick going to make a video showing us how to drink from a water bottle?
    I want to be firmly aware that I can put pomegranate blueberry tea in the bottle, and carry the whole schmear in my Brain Bag.

  8. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,844
    Love it!

    It a real pleasant surprise.

    Glass on the go, this is a really great gift.

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    31
    I'm really having a hard time with this. I am a HUGE fan of Tom's products. Heck, I'm about to buy another bag, and on the floor, right in front of me, I see an Empire Builder, Super Ego, Ego, a hand full of brain bags for different size laptops, and a cork bag for my MacBook Pro 17". I have a few other products in another room. An Aeronaut and his carry-on laptop bag (cant remember the name) + some braincells.

    I totally understand the eco-friendliness of the product. I even understand the health benefits of the product.

    However, folks, let's be realistic. I present these arguments to help the community. I sure different strokes for different folks applies here, so, take this as a discussion item to help me understand why this product is a valid, good choice:

    Klean Kanteen (I've chosen them because I own their products - 10 bottles, in fact) sells 18oz and 27oz wide mouth products (along with other sizes, too). They weigh in at 3.75oz and 6.25oz. They are made of BPA-free products, including the bottle and cap. They are stainless steel, which means they cannot break under normal hard use. Amazon sells them for $16.80 and $18.20. They also sell some upgraded caps for other uses. Shipped in FSC certified materials.

    The Lifefactory product is offered in 16oz (soon) and 22oz sizes and weights in at TBD and 17.4oz. Made of BPA-free glass with a BPA free cap, and a snazzy grippy sleeve. $TBD and $22. No other caps for sale. Shipped in SFI materials.

    There cannot be an argument that suggests this glass is more durable than stainless steel. There can be an argument that you're careful and/or lucky enough with your stuff that your use wont break a lifefactory bottle. There can be an argument that putting hot liquids in an cold glass bottle will shatter it or that you're not careful or lucky with your stuff.

    There cannot be an argument that either product is safer, as both are BPA free. There can be an argument about taste of glass vs. stainless steel and the eco-friendly nature of recycled glass. As an owner of Klean bottles, I've never tasted a metalic flavor. YMMV.

    Neither product is made in the USA. Klean Kanteens are manufactured in China. Lifefactory bottles are made in France (the sleeve is made in China according to Lifefactory's website, although Tom's site suggests the USA).

    Ignore price, because being a Tom Bihn customer, I'm honestly not price sensitive. Tom could charge me $300 for a bag. I'd buy it. Tom, I'm a loyal customer. Well, except for camera bags, which Tom doesn't sell - I own ThinkTank camera bags.

    So, if I'm buying a bottle for EDC (every day carry), which would I get?

    If I drink hot liquids, I'd skip the glass bottle entirely. Heck, I'd skip any uninsulated bottle to prevent my hands from burning. Get an insulated stainless steel bottle or some type of rubber/plastic/paper holder for your uninsulated stainless steel bottle. I live in a warm weather climate, so I have less of a concern about cold bottles left in the car and then filled with coffee/tea.

    If I EDC a bottle and walk, travel, etc, quite a bit, stainless steal is a winner. No chance of breaking. It's soooo much lighter, too. A pound of glass? Wow, that's heavy.

    If I leave a bottle at work and it stays there, with carpeted floors, I'd probably get the Lifefactory bottle. Maybe. I like that I can see the dirt in the bottle, so I can clean it easier. Still, I love a 27oz bottle for work. I drink a lot.

    I'd never give a glass bottle to my kids. Yes, I know all about glass baby bottles, but an older kid can use the bottle as a projectile, knock it off a granite counter onto hard concrete floors, and they need a different type of lid if its a younger kid - something that doesn't drain the whole bottle in 1/2 a second when the car bumps along the highway and the kid loses grip

    I was honestly dying to hear about Tom's bottle, but I have to pick a bottle *system* with interchangeability. Good for work, good for kids, good for traveling, good for roadtrips....and this bottle doesn't seem to be the best option.

    So, in the spirit of open discussion of high quality products and without criticizing people, what considerations do you make when you consider the available products?

  10. #40
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,517
    Well, we never think a single product is going to work for every single person - that's why it's great that there are so many options out there. We're aware of them, including the brands that you mentioned, and they just don't work for us.

    We found the Lifefactory bottles in a small boutique store - we'd never heard of them before. They are, in our opinion, the best bottles we've ever used, and we wished we had found them earlier. We figured some of you maybe hadn't heard about them before either, so we decided to make them available for order through our site.

    Here's what I like about the Lifefactory bottle:
    It makes me want to drink water because the water tastes like water.
    I can see in it. I can tell if it's clean or dirty. I can see if it has juice, sports drink, or water in it.
    I love the colors (well, some of them I just like.)

    To the folks who like the Lifefactory bottle: enjoy! To those who don't: we're glad there's other options out there for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by leftistelf View Post
    Neither product is made in the USA. Klean Kanteens are manufactured in China. Lifefactory bottles are made in France (the sleeve is made in China according to Lifefactory's website, although Tom's site suggests the USA).
    The sleeve on the 22oz Lifefactory bottle that we sell is made in USA. The bottle has no Chinese components. You might have read that about a different product.

    For anyone concerned about breakage - watch this video. Sorry it's not as cool as maverick's videos - I'm sure he'll come up with a better video soon. Note that if you really want to, you can probably break this bottle. If you have kids who might throw their water bottles around, we wouldn't recommend giving them a Lifefactory bottle. For the average person (like us), we think it's pretty great.
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-12-2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Edited to add the video link and more info, condensed into one post.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    31
    Holy smokes...did anyone see Tom's YouTube video on these bottles? That's amazing!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An5Jw9z8P8g

    Bulletproof too?

    Darcy, I'll try one.

  12. #42
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    The far west
    Posts
    4,517
    Glad you liked the video. We'd love to have you try one! But it's also okay if it turns out not to be the right bottle for you. We still don't recommend giving a Lifefactory bottle to one's children for use as a projectile.. and we're not going to make a video to prove that point.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

  13. #43
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,357
    very cool video, darcy!

    also, this isn't a scientific study, and i'd love to see the results of one, but speaking anecdotally, i can tell you that i have noticed that i am drinking more water with this glass life factory bottle than i did using plastic or steel or other bottles. the taste is untainted in a glass container.

  14. #44
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    546
    Glass!? I *love* glass for drinking water out of! How did you know!?

    Honest - I've tried Nalgene and SIGG - but I drank the most water most frequently when I took a VOSS water bottle and kept refilling it. Problem was when they'd slip out of whatever water bottle pocket I put them in and smash into pieces............

    I'm looking forward to receiving this Lifefactory water bottle and will see how it fares! The video shown was nice, but I bet it won't hold up as well when it's dropped with water actually in it! However! We shall see!

  15. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    82
    [don't take this reply seriously]

    The video was a stunt! The barcode sticker on the bottom invalidated the test!

    [/don't take this reply seriously]

    I like it. I didn't even know they made glass water bottles.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0