Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Also: it looks like the Circa stuff uses eight ring punch, so it won't work with our three ring FJN.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Since I have to wait until December, my imagination is in overdrive!
    Not only can I anticipate using the FJN as a knitting notebook/design/journal, but it appears that double-pointed and circular needles could be stowed in the organizer pockets; my keyring of cutting pendant, gauge, tape measure, chibis, etc.could attach to the O-ring inside and, with carefully punched holes, hold 5.5 x 8.5 in. pattern cards like Knit-Purl Portland creates for their sock club!
    What a wonderful way this would work for outings to knit at a local coffeeshop -- all of the knitting paraphernalia organized within the FJN, ready to open flat across the table, carried in my Swift with yarn inside stuff sacks clipped into the Swift!
    But further imagining the FJN in my backpack and stretching out beneath a tree on a knitting break from hiking! With the intro of Conifer, I am really wanting a Synapse all the more now!
    Okay, enough daydreaming! I'm sure the FJN possibilities are endless!

Speaking of hole punchers, it might be nice to find one that works well with this paper size in case there is anything you need to print (2 per sheet on an 8.5x11) and slip in your notebook. I'm a dork and started measuring a piece of paper, then read the description again where they already stated "half an 8.5x11". :P

Stationery enthusiasts: A while ago I saw a blog post somewhere that had a a neat system for loose leaf binding, that worked better than the standard rings (http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...-Leaf-Rings-3/), I can't find it in my bookmarks or remember the name of the product, but I think it would be cool for archiving past notebooks out of our field journals. Anyone have an idea on what I'm talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I checked with Tom on the possibility of an A4 version: he says it would be an entirely different product and, even if he did decide to make it, it wouldn't be for a very, very long time. He said an A5 version is more likely.
    Okay, I'm hanging out for the A5 version then! It will still be very usable.

We just didn't like Conifer/Solar together - the Conifer has blue undertones, and we felt those worked best with the Steel lining.
    That's a shame. The Solar lining is vital to me, and I think blue-green and teal shades go very nicely with yellow.

I will put in a request for Conifer pouches! But they likely won't be available for 4-6 weeks.
    Let us know! I want to do a smallish order soon anyway, with the new Iberian Shop Bag and hopefully other things in Iberian.

Audrey

Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean. Is your question is it possible to buy the FJN without the binder/ring mechanism? The answer to that is no: the Field Journal Notebook isn't a notebook cover. It is a notebook.
    I want to buy the Field Journal Notebook, as it is with the binder/ring mechanism BUT I plan to attach an other binder/ring mechanism on the base plate.
    If I had an other base plate, without the metallic part, I could create a second binding system without destructing the original one. Then I could swap them if needed.

Sorry for my english, my mother tongue is french.

FJN pocket sizes

Maverick or Darcy can you confirm the following with the FJN:
    Will the rear outside pocket fit a iPad?
    Will the inner iPhone pocket fit a small hardcover moleskine?

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi ex machina,

the plate with the three ring binder clip can be pulled out and rotated so that the three ring binder clip is on the right side of the FJN rather than the left, but i think that you lose so many benefits that the FJN provides if you remove the three ring binder clip and the backplate altogether. wait - perhaps this video will be of some assistance in demonstrating the implications of removing the three ring binder mechanism?

darcy, can you confirm whether i'm understanding this correctly?

thanks!

Volunteer Moderator
    hi renegadeot!

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeot View Post
    Speaking of hole punchers, it might be nice to find one that works well with this paper size in case there is anything you need to print (2 per sheet on an 8.5x11) and slip in your notebook.
    check with your local stationary store to see if they have a hole punch that is adjustable. this one from day-timer should work - remove all but 3 punchers so that your paper doesn't end up with extra holes.

Quote Originally Posted by renegadeot View Post
    I think it would be cool for archiving past notebooks out of our field journals.
    in the left hand column of the FJN page, you'll find that:

"Coming soon: Tom is designing a simple system so that you can archive the notes or sketches taken in the Field Journal. Consisting of a heavy-weight paper cover, scored to be folded, forming the front, spine, and back. The cover is punched to receive plastic binding posts that can be easily applied by the user to create effectively a small book. You can write on or otherwise decorate the front and back covers however you like; you can note the date or subject matter on the spine. We plan to make this available in a few colors - please stand by."

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemonce View Post
    Maverick or Darcy can you confirm the following with the FJN:
    Will the rear outside pocket fit a iPad?
    Will the inner iPhone pocket fit a small hardcover moleskine?
    hi mikemonce!

welcome to the forum!

the iPad will not fit in the outside pocket of the FJN - the iPad is larger than the FJN.

i believe that the small moleskine notebook is 3.5" x 5.5", and the iPhones are, which fits inside the inner iPhone pocket is 2.31" to 2.4" x 4.5". so the small moleskine notebook will note fit in the inner iPhone pocket.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    Let us know! I want to do a smallish order soon anyway, with the new Iberian Shop Bag and hopefully other things in Iberian.

Audrey
    I've put in an order for the large Shop bag in Iberian, but I'd also like to get the regular size Shop Bag in Iberian. The regular size Shop Bag is very convenient to carry rolled in the side pockets of the Synapse. Any chance of Iberian Dyneema pouches showing up soon?

moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    moriond,

I think we're only going to make the Large Shop Bag from now on - it's much more popular than the Regular Shop Bag. So, it's unlikely that the Regular will ever appear in Iberian.

We are going to offer a new type of Organizer Pouch soon: Dyneema! You will get to choose Steel, Solar, or Iberian in sizes Mini, Small, Medium, and Large. These should be available within a month or so.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

moriond,

I think we're only going to make the Large Shop Bag from now on - it's much more popular than the Regular Shop Bag. So, it's unlikely that the Regular will ever appear in Iberian.

We are going to offer a new type of Organizer Pouch soon: Dyneema! You will get to choose Steel, Solar, or Iberian in sizes Mini, Small, Medium, and Large. These should be available within a month or so.

So I should order my additional Regular Shop Bags soon!

Hey, would the Regular Shop Bag fit in the FJN front pocket?

Yay!

Hopefully they'll be made at the same time as the Conifer ones.

Audrey

Love my FJN

Today I spent a little time with my friends at TB talking bags and waterfront activity.

However, I have to tell you the best part was getting my hands on a final FJN. I've had the fortune to see the FJN evolve over time and this product is just incredible.

Being from the PacificNW I'm a Big Red (Verizon) user and my Droid Incredible fits perfectly in the phone pocket. In the picture attached I've put a pack of sudafed to help show what else this pocket could carry. Of note, the design of the phone pocket is roomy but snug (you'll have to experience it to understand), I would not be worried about my phone falling out under normal conditions, but if you are worried, use the front pocket.

The key strap is also holds the new Intelligent Access Fob quite nicely. The FJN is a perfect way for me to commute to/from meetings that do not require the use of a complete bag...

Personally, I hate having 'junk' in my pockets. The FJN is great, I can keep my TB Wallet, pens, and fob in the FJN and sprint to/from a meeting. Also great is the size. If it is just pouring outside, or I'm in a creepy part of town I can easily zip my jacket up over the FJN and no one will be the wiser.

When I first heard shoulder strap, I though no way; but I am converted, Tom was, as usual, way ahead of me on that. The strap adds a stability to the FJN that does not require the juggling act many zip open products do.

Tom has done an excellent job on this product, I really cannot say enough positive remarks. The new Conifer color is superb and would be acceptable in most settings, I cannot wait to use the Field Journal Notebook next time to take notes for a boat survey.

All in all, the best part of the day is when Riley notices you've arrived and comes to greet you his tail is always wagging. Skookum hung back a little more, but he warms up after a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SailorWA; 10-01-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Sweet! Thank you for the great photo!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

another A5

I just want to add my voice to those hoping for an A5 insert for the FJN.
    do I remember correctly that the mechanism is made in Austria? They ought to understand A5 well...It would be great if one could switch the insert in a FJN according to paper size/country.

And in a side note: love the idea of new organizer pouches!

thanks tom and Darcy--I can't wait for my FJN!

bb

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0