Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We can't wait to see your video!
    tada!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Maverick, this is your best video, hands down!

You answered all the questions and the addition of your lovely son has a presenter is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    I thought you might recognize that book as I took that photograph, backpack!
    I got a glimpse of the picture then could not find it again, it took me some time to realize that the picture of the Black FJN also featured the back pocket.

That book was one of the first to ignite my passion for endangered mammals.

Thank you Darcy for the great NYT link about Jung Red Book, as Mr Spock would say "Fascinating".

As a hydrologist and consulting engineer, this is exactly what I need for field work and construction site visits. The pen organization is great, and the iPhone/camera pocket is perfectly located, since I usually have to sketch what I see, take a photo, mark the location and direction of the photo on the sketch, and repeat. This configuration looks like it will make the pen/marker/iPhone shuffle much easier, and reduce the risk of dropping my iPhone every time I have to dig it out of my pocket.

The idea of the strap looks to be absolutely brilliant, as it is difficult to write/sketch while holding a notebook with your one free hand alone. Plus, I inevitably find myself climbing up and down channel banks, dam embankments, wading through slippery rock-filled streams, or otherwise walking across terrain that is best navigated with two free hands,
    so I am stoked about the idea of carrying the fjn messenger style as opposed to constantly stowing and un-stowing a regular notebook in a backpack.

I'm sure this will prove valuable to many other professions (or leisure activities), but the design intent of being useful for those who need to make scientific observations in the field seems to be right on the mark. Now I just have to pick a color, do I match my Synapse by getting navy, or the rest of my TB bags by getting steel...

Will this hold A5 paper?

However, for my purposes, what I'd really love is an A4 version. I have lengtthy data sheets that I use in the marine intertidal environment and a A4 FJN would actually make it feasible to take the datasheets out into the field. We currently rely on memory and complete the datasheets back at the car.

I love, love, love the Conifer colour! What else will be offered in this colour? Is this my chance for a Green/Solar Synapse? :+>

Audrey
    Last edited by falconea; 09-28-2010 at 11:40 PM.

Well I am impressed with the level of craftsmanship applied to the FJN, not surprised mind you, but impressed none the less. Congratulations Tom and Crew on a wonderful addition to your outstanding product lines.

I have a few questions about the FJN and Circa compatibility. I read the website description and viewed the photos. Now it seems I can remove the binder/ring mechanism. What I want to know is can the FJN be adapted as a Notebook sleeve? Can I insert the back cover of a Circa into the binder sleeve and be merrily on my way? I would think yes based on the available data. However, the pictures do not reveal much in the way of the rear binder compartment and what the FJN looks like without the binder in place. It has also been stated that the FJN is not a notebook sleeve, but I think it can be made one. For those unaware, Circa is the Levenger co-branded version of the Rollabind system, a proprietary system similar to a Rolodex with larger sized pages.

That said I will see for myself soon enough. Of course I am ordering one! I figure I can create my own adapter as needed if push comes to shove. This is a great design. Congrats again and thanks for making such well thought out products.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    However, the pictures do not reveal much in the way of the rear binder compartment and what the FJN looks like without the binder in place.
    maverick has made a really nifty video that should answer your questions in this regard: a video demonstrating the use of the field journal notebook

Just ordered my FJN - looking forward to getting it hugely. Must admit it's bigger and more elaborate than I imagined and looks beautifully made. For UK-based buyers like me please note that Day Timer have a UK web site (http://www.daytimer.co.uk) for extra refills. Was well worth the wait!

Quote Originally Posted by mitt View Post
    As a hydrologist and consulting engineer, this is exactly what I need for field work and construction site visits. The pen organization is great, and the iPhone/camera pocket is perfectly located, since I usually have to sketch what I see, take a photo, mark the location and direction of the photo on the sketch, and repeat. This configuration looks like it will make the pen/marker/iPhone shuffle much easier, and reduce the risk of dropping my iPhone every time I have to dig it out of my pocket.

The idea of the strap looks to be absolutely brilliant, as it is difficult to write/sketch while holding a notebook with your one free hand alone. Plus, I inevitably find myself climbing up and down channel banks, dam embankments, wading through slippery rock-filled streams, or otherwise walking across terrain that is best navigated with two free hands,
    so I am stoked about the idea of carrying the fjn messenger style as opposed to constantly stowing and un-stowing a regular notebook in a backpack.

I'm sure this will prove valuable to many other professions (or leisure activities), but the design intent of being useful for those who need to make scientific observations in the field seems to be right on the mark. Now I just have to pick a color, do I match my Synapse by getting navy, or the rest of my TB bags by getting steel...

I think you nailed it about field work or even bird/wildlife watching and recording, the FJN will be a hit among ecologists, ethologists and biologists.

Having said that I throw my 2 cents about color choices, if you were lucky enough to get a Navy Synapse, order a Navy FJN right this minute.

Steel. Black and Crimson are staple, signature colors for the Tom Bihn bags line, Black is the staple of the business community, Steel and Crimson are the signatures.
    So you can always get a Steel FJN in the next batch, typically, the first batch of a TB product gets the widest array of colors.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-29-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    Now it seems I can remove the binder/ring mechanism. What I want to know is can the FJN be adapted as a Notebook sleeve? Can I insert the back cover of a Circa into the binder sleeve and be merrily on my way?
    hi ex machina,

the plate with the three ring binder clip can be pulled out and rotated so that the three ring binder clip is on the right side of the FJN rather than the left, but i think that you lose so many benefits that the FJN provides if you remove the three ring binder clip and the backplate altogether. wait - perhaps this video will be of some assistance in demonstrating the implications of removing the three ring binder mechanism?

darcy, can you confirm whether i'm understanding this correctly?

thanks!
    Last edited by maverick; 09-29-2010 at 08:25 AM.
    -m

Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    However, for my purposes, what I'd really love is an A4 version.
    Would the FJN ever be made into a larger size, for A4 or US-letter sized paper? I would snap that up immediately! It would be the best binder system ever for classes, meetings, etc.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    Will this hold A5 paper?

However, for my purposes, what I'd really love is an A4 version. I have lengtthy data sheets that I use in the marine intertidal environment and a A4 FJN would actually make it feasible to take the datasheets out into the field. We currently rely on memory and complete the datasheets back at the car.

I love, love, love the Conifer colour! What else will be offered in this colour? Is this my chance for a Green/Solar Synapse? :+>

Audrey
    Audrey,

This version of the Field Journal Notebook won't hold A5 paper, but we do anticipate making an A5 version in the future. I'm not sure about A4 - I'll have to ask Tom.

Conifer is a great color, and maverick's video really shows it well. The Small, Medium, and Large Cafe Bags as well as the Swift are now available for pre-order in Conifer. Let me check on the Synapse: I know we were just about to cut the next batch and we hadn't ordered Conifer... yet.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Also, is there a list of in which bags the FJN fits? I've tried figuring it out, but I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the main compartments as opposed to the external dimensions of some of the bags (the ones which are at home and not with me right now!).

Quote Originally Posted by marbenais View Post
    Also, is there a list of in which bags the FJN fits? I've tried figuring it out, but I'm not sure of the exact dimensions of the main compartments as opposed to the external dimensions of some of the bags (the ones which are at home and not with me right now!).
    We should be able to share that list with you later today or tomorrow.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

The Synapse in Conifer/Steel is now available for pre-order.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0