Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bltkmt View Post
    I am quite fond of Hydroflasks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katy View Post
    That's the brand I currently have . The Water Bottle Approved by Tom is way more awesome looking (at least we think so!). I'm sure there are other benefits but I can't tell you those yet!
    Well, I just looked at the Hydro Flask and it seems real neat. Now I am even more intrigued by what Tom will be selling.

When I settled on getting a Klean Kanteen in my search, I did so because it was the best fit for my criteria which I came across. My criteria for selection was:
    • Wide mouth, so I can get my fingers in to clean it, and can see inside more easily.
    • Food grade stainless steel composition. Contents never touch plastic.
    • Reputable construction by a company not exploiting people. (No slave shop.)
    • Made in America, if possible. (Haven't found such.
    • Company stands behind product. (Return/replace if defective, etc.)
    • Proven product. (Excellent reviews/evalauations)
    • Lead free.

I will still need another bottle for my Super Ego. I plan to use both bottle holders on the bag. So I am very much looking forward to seeing what Tom has in store regarding such.

Can we be let in on if it is a wide mouth item or not? Will wide mouth be considered for the line?

I got a guardian light in my last order. Well worth it. It performs superbly. I also have several Absolute Straps. They perform superbly. Any Tom Bihn carried product, even if manufactured elsewhere, will get a serious look from me. Superb quality is a definite part of the criteria at TB, so I will be holding off on purchasing another bottle until I see what Tom will be selling.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by ex machina View Post
    My criteria for selection was:
    • Wide mouth, so I can get my fingers in to clean it, and can see inside more easily.
    • Food grade stainless steel composition. Contents never touch plastic.
    • Reputable construction by a company not exploiting people. (No slave shop.)
    • Made in America, if possible. (Haven't found such.
    • Company stands behind product. (Return/replace if defective, etc.)
    • Proven product. (Excellent reviews/evalauations)
    • Lead free.

I totally agree with your list but I need to add 1 more requirement to it: a non-plastic lid/cap. I realize most people would put water in a water bottle but I have found that plastic lids (such as the Contigo lid) acquire the taste of the strongest beverage that has come into contact with that lid. And, imho, there's nothing more disgusting than coffee-flavored tea when I wanted tea-flavored tea.

Quote Originally Posted by pw1224 View Post
    I totally agree with your list but I need to add 1 more requirement to it: a non-plastic lid/cap. I realize most people would put water in a water bottle but I have found that plastic lids (such as the Contigo lid) acquire the taste of the strongest beverage that has come into contact with that lid. And, imho, there's nothing more disgusting than coffee-flavored tea when I wanted tea-flavored tea.
    Easy to clean is a must!

As are green and fair trade components and manufacture are essential.

Ability to keep beverages hot or cold would be great also.

I also have a Guardian Light, indispensable yet never in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pw1224 View Post
    Oh, I agree pw1224 in using only food grade stainless steel to store my beverage. The Klean Kanteen cap is stainless on the inside. Only the outside of the cap is plastic. The contents never touch plastic.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Easy to clean is a must!

Hi backpack!

Easy cleaning, and the ability to clean to my satisfaction, which includes scrubbing with pressure is a must. I'm just not comfortable if I can't. I have good sized hands so even the wide mouth will be a tight fit, but I expect I can get a suitable sponge and crank down the pressure. Also, I will be able to visually inspect my bottle for trouble and grit.

I would really like one with a 3 1/2 inch opening at a minimum, but I have yet to find such. Also, when I first started looking, only one wide mouth stainless steel bottle did I find, and that was sold by a fitness trainer. Her website did not extol the production conditions of the item and other factors of import to me, so while tempting I passed. When I saw that Klean Kanteen was making such now, I figured this was the one for me as I needed one now and it met my requirements best in what I found available.

I really hope the TB bottle is stainless. (hint hint

Hi backpack!

Easy cleaning, and the ability to clean to my satisfaction, which includes scrubbing with pressure is a must. I'm just not comfortable if I can't. I have good sized hands so even the wide mouth will be a tight fit, but I expect I can get a suitable sponge and crank down the pressure. Also, I will be able to visually inspect my bottle for trouble and grit.

I would really like one with a 3 1/2 inch opening at a minimum, but I have yet to find such. Also, when I first started looking, only one wide mouth stainless steel bottle did I find, and that was sold by a fitness trainer. Her website did not extol the production conditions of the item and other factors of import to me, so while tempting I passed. When I saw that Klean Kanteen was making such now, I figured this was the one for me as I needed one now and it met my requirements best in what I found available.

I really hope the TB bottle is stainless. (hint hint

Hi ex machina,

My Contigo spill proof cups have very wide mouths but...
    cleaning them is still a pain, hand wash and a run in the dishwasher is a must.

When they hold milk, it is even worse.
    They need an extra manual and dishwasher rinse.

Maybe I should buy the milk containers used for kids lunch bags and ask Tom to design an insulated bag that looks as stylish as my other TB bags.

Quote Originally Posted by KnitnSpin View Post
    I'd love to see a Tom Bihn-designed packable water bowl for all of our canine companions,too!
    I'd like to see a utensils and food holder set for people. I am currently assembling such for myself. I am making a food prep and eating kit that will have my kitchen tools and eating wares all together. I'm building it a piece at a time. Be nice if it was all done and I could just get one that was made well, free of BPA, and helped people that made it, rather than exploit them. Any tips forum friends on items I may consider? Utensils, chef's knives, cutting board, plate(s), et cetera? Thanks in advance.

I use a Klean Canteen to hold water for my lunch. I use a padded carry pouch that was designed to carry a wine bottle. The handles are part of the pouch and easy to carry with my lunch bag.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

I'd like to see a utensils and food holder set for people. I am currently assembling such for myself. I am making a food prep and eating kit that will have my kitchen tools and eating wares all together. I'm building it a piece at a time. Be nice if it was all done and I could just get one that was made well, free of BPA, and helped people that made it, rather than exploit them. Any tips forum friends on items I may consider? Utensils, chef's knives, cutting board, plate(s), et cetera? Thanks in advance.
    I use this set:

http://light-my-fire.com/222-147-mealkit.htm

It's made in Sweden, not the US, but Sweden has some of the toughest environmental laws in the world. It's a little heavy for an overnighter, but the company makes a smaller one-compartment box for food. If you don't like the adult sporks (or might be flying with them), the children's 3-pack does not have the serrated 'knife' edge. I always pack one with my cup/immersion heater/tea when traveling. If anyone's ever flown with the adult serrated-edge spork, tell us about it! I've never tried.

The bigger kit has a straining cup, a tight-seal cup for watery items, a chopping/straining board, and a spork as well as the outer container. REI sells them, so does Sportco and many other retail stores in the Seattle area. Or you can order them online. I have the lime green for visibility's sake. If you love the Wasabi fabric, the lime green will be right up your alley. The company also makes lots of other neat things. If I can't get US-made, I'll shop from them in a heartbeat. Unlike a lot of other companies, their stuff is 'made in Sweden' not just 'designed in Sweden' and made in some Asian sweatshop factory.
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

Bottle colors?

Darcy:
    Will the bottle be in cordura, ballistic or dyneema?

bb

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Easy to clean is a must!

Hi Backpack,
    This may sound a bit goofy but I use a baby bottle brush to clean my water bottles. They come in different sizes mine happens to be about an inch in diameter with a pom-pom sort of looking thing on the end. It does a wonderful job no matter what I put in my bottle.
    Happy Travels,
    Moose

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by aiethabell View Post
    If anyone's ever flown with the adult serrated-edge spork, tell us about it! I've never tried.
    I've flown with it multiple times with no problem whatsoever.

However, I've never used the serrated edge... I mean, you kind of need another spork to use it... Either that or your hand, I guess!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0